• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU Soccer Coach gets new contract

votb

I'm quite surprised that no one has posted, or even commented on this story from today's ISJournal...

Idaho State Soccer
Idaho State signs coach to three-year deal

BY TIM FLAGSTAD
[email protected]

POCATELLO — Idaho State locked up soccer coach Allison Gibson through the 2011 season Wednesday.
Interim athletic director Jeff Tingey said the coach accepted a three-year deal worth a base salary of $55,640 annually. Gibson’s current contract is set to expire in January, and the new agreement will run through January 2012 once the state Board of Education approves it.
“I’m big on continuity,” Tingey said. “I want Allison to know that she has a good future here. I want the women on the team to know that and all of the recruits to know that.”
Gibson has led the Bengals for three seasons, and she has compiled a 20-26-11 mark in that time.
In 2006, her first year guiding the program, Idaho State went 10-9-1 overall and 5-2-0 in Big Sky play to win the conference championship. The Bengals went on to win the league tournament and advance to the NCAA tournament, where they lost 3-2 in overtime at Utah.
This season, Idaho State finished 3-12-4 overall and 1-5-1 in conference while fielding a team that regularly started eight freshmen and sophomores. It was the worst mark in program history since the inaugural 1998 campaign when the team finished 2-14-1.
Despite that, Tingey said Gibson’s past success and a perfect score last year on the NCAA’s annual Academic Progress Rate report, which measures a program’s academic prowess, warranted the new deal.
“They had a difficult year plagued by injuries,” Tingey said. “I know that coach Gibson learned a lot through this experience, as did the team. It helps teams grow and grow together and work through similar seasons in the future. I expect and coach Gibson expects the team to rebound from this season.”
With 17 of the 21 players returning, Gibson remains confident that the program is heading in the right direction.
“For the most part, these kids are hungry, and they want to taste success,” she said. “It’s definitely gonna go up from here. We’ll definitely get back to the top of the conference.”

Excellent move by Tingey and Co. The thing ISU requires most is stability. Long live Gibson! She is a fantastic coach with an awesome personality! And I hope she retains Hideki and Lindsey!

Anyone who questioned whether or not ISU should keep Coach Gibson either does not understand soccer or does not know this team. This was the only move that made any sense.

Coach Gibson is a fantastic coach, although this was only her third year and she, like her players, is still perfecting her craft. She has had some fantastic success with this team: has been Big Sky Coach of the year, has won two of three Governor's cups, and has led her team through the longest home-field undefeated streak in school history. and is 11-2-5 at home over the last 18 games (even with this tough year.) Her players respect her as a coach and have improved under her tutelage.

We had a tough rebuilding year, losing over half of our starters. True, the team seemed to lose heart in the middle of the season, but they fought through some tough times and they are ready to be real contenders next year. With most of the key players returning next year, 2009 should be a great season. Actually, we are set up well for at least the next two years, as we lose only 4 players this year and just two more next year. I expect Coach Gibson will have ISU set as one of the premier Big Sky teams by the end of this three-year contract. I would say Tingey did a great job hanging onto Coach Gibson.

Latest posts

Back