• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU @ UNC - Predictions?

john_clayton

Figured I start this thread since there was one for each of ISU's first two games.

I understand that every game on the schedule is critical, but this one, in my opinion, could be a defining game setting the tone for the rest of the season. A few things I think ISU must improve to come away with a "W":

1. Where art thou running game? As mentioned in a previous ISJ article/blog, ISU RUSH OFF must be established to control the ball and tempo of the game. It'll help open up the passing game where RH (or KM) can be effective. Run 'em over White and Rover ;)

2. Penalties - for a coaching staff that emphasizes self-discipline on and off the field, it's been discouraging to see the rash of penalties in the first two games. ISU must limit the penalties to avoid killing ISU OFF possessions and extending UNC OFF possessions. :oops:

3. More Moore - T-Mobile needs more than three touches on offense. Find ways to get him the football. Jet sweep, wildcat, more pass targets, what ever it takes. :idea:

4. Health and next man up - I have heard from some within and associated with the program that ISU was a little beat up (nothing compared to what they felt last year after the ASU and OU games). Gotta stay as healthy as possible; and if a starter goes down, the next man up has gotta step. :(

Prediction...I think ISU can win this game. But it's something about BSC road games ISU hasn't figured out a way to break the 15-game BSC road losing streak. Before the season began, I did pencil in ISU getting a BSC road win...but not at Greeley.

ISU - 21
UNC - 31

From the ISU Athletic Training Room, this is John Clayton, for bengal.bigskyfans.com :D

We are way over due for a road victory. UNC has a quality team, so it won't be easy. I like their running back Harris, but they have some injury issues on the O-line. Our D will hold him in check.

Bengals win 30-23

This is why I'm worried:

ISU 1st I19 15:00 Kickoff I36 13:22 Punt 4-17 1:38
ISU 1st I31 11:54 Punt I50 06:34 Fumble 11-19 5:20
ISU 1st I15 02:13 Kickoff I17 14:06 Punt 6-2 3:07
ISU 2nd I20 13:03 Punt I24 11:12 Punt 3-4 1:51
ISU 2nd I19 08:18 Punt I23 06:47 Punt 3-4 1:31
ISU 2nd I20 03:40 Punt I22 02:32 Punt 3-2 1:08
ISU 2nd I27 00:15 Kickoff I25 00:00 End of half 1-2 0:15

These are stats from last years game when UNC dominated ISU in the first half at Holt Arena.... scary, scary stuff.

Last year doesn't matter. What happened last week doesn't matter. UNC runs the ball well, and our defense defends the run well. I like the way we match up against them. I'm going with 20 - 9 Bengals win!

I think that this years team has some more playmakers and that excites me.

However, depth on the offensive and defensive line concerns me a ton. They have two defensive lineman that have converted to the offensive side of the ball to give them some depth. I have heard that Shedd and Rudd are hurt and may or may not be able to play. Losing Fredrickson early in fall drills hurt ISU--he was going to be a good one.

The defensive line is thin as well with O'Donnell backing up both of the interior lineman. Where are all of those defensive lineman that ISU recruited two years ago? I am still waiting to see Niusulu and I. Walker. I've heard that they are nicked up--it would be nice to see them play. Monga and Austin have been great upgrades at the DT position and I think the defense will go as these two go. Don't get me wrong the LB's are loaded and the DB's are solid--but those interior folks will make or break this unit.

I have a confident feeling about this game defensively. I don't think that UNC is going to be able to play smash mouth inside running football against ISU. If they don't get beat deep--I think ISU can show well in this one.

However, the offense really worries me. If the O-line gets beat up too much--the offense is screwed. I am very concerned about the WR's--outside of Tavoy Moore, I just don't see much speed. Without speed to stretch the field--defenses can key the running game.

If ISU is going to win this game they need to run the ball well. You know it, I know it and UNC knows it.

I have heard that Zamberlin will be playing some kids that we have not seen yet this season. One of those people will not be Kelvin Krosch--not related to grades at all.

ISU wins 24-14 and the defense GOES OFF!

As a UNC fan, I want to point out that we Bears keep finding new and amazing ways to lose a game. Never underestimate that. From hail mary's to a 4 OT loss with blocked field goals you can never count our opponent out.

That being said, I say UNC 21- ISU 20.

Sniper said:
We are way over due for a road victory. UNC has a quality team, so it won't be easy. I like their running back Harris, but they have some injury issues on the O-line. Our D will hold him in check.

Bengals win 30-23

Andre Harris used to be a Vandal. He didn't "pan-out" for some reason at UofI. We had emensely high hopes for him but nothing ever materialized.

We wish him the best. But this Vandal is hoping you guys pull out the road win.

GV

Our D needs to play tough ball. We need to have way less penalties. Our O needs to find a way to stay on the field and win the first down game. I believe our D is for real. This is a big momentum game for Z and Co. Will the dome be packed next week or will it draw just a few? Its up to the Bengals, period! ISU 27 UNC 17

Latest posts

Back