• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU WSU game

BengalSapper

Sitting in Afghanistan talking about football with members of my unit that happen to be Weber fans we have discussed in depth the ISU Weber state rivalry. This game has been played 49 times Weber state leads 35-14 and it has never been named or a trophy created. How can it be called a rivalry game without a name or a trophy? BSU and U of I have the governor’s cup. Montana and Montana State have the Brawl of the Wild and the great divide trophy. The game between ISU and WSU should be an annual event and should be a major focus for ISU. This is the only real rivalry game that ISU has and it seems that no one cares. I found old news articles referring to the game as The battle of I-15, The border war, Battle of the Rocky mountains and Rocky Mountain Bowl but none of these names are official. I think that the marketing department needs to get to work push for a name and a trophy. This could make some money cause excitement and get some attention for the Team. I bet that the fans of ISU and Weber state would love to name the game. Any thoughts?

ISU has tried in the past to make this more of an event by playing it on "rivalry weekend," but Webber has refused to do it. They didn't want to compete with the BYU & Utah game going on the same day. Now that those two are not in the same conference and will probably play earlier in the season, now is the time to set ISU-WSU up for that rivalry weekend EVERY year.

I like the idea of making it an event. Both towns have a strong history with the railroad, so maybe you could tie that into the game somehow. Call it the "Railroad War" or something like that, as a nod to the railroad wars from the past. Make a trophy centered around a railroad spike or something.

Even EWU and Portland State have created a trophy, the Dam Cup, for their series.

I would LOVE for this game to have a name and a trophy, and start being played on rivalry weekend, and now with Utah and BYU going thier seperate ways and the Big Sky's 2 year schedule done after this year ISU and Weber might just start playing thier games on rivalry weekend.

As for a name, I really like these

The Border War
The Border Brawl
The Battle of I-15
The Railroad Rumble
The Cat fight (jk ;) )

And I like the Idea of what sasquatch had said about a trophy, I once thought about a Golden Spike trophy, but I kinda thought that would be better for Weber/SUU considering the Golden Spike is Utah based, but how about a trophy that has 2 railroad spikes both crossing like and X with Weber State and a Wildcat on one and Idaho State and a Bengal on the other and the words "The Railroad Rumble" on it as well.

I also think that this is a great rivalry, no one has played Weber as much as Idaho State or Montana. And even if they dont play the game on rivalry weekend, this rivalry should still be named and have a traveling trophy.

I like the idea of having the game called the Railroad Rumble. The trophy could be a polished up rail tie.

Red Hill said:
I like the idea of having the game called the Railroad Rumble. The trophy could be a polished up rail tie.

I like it :thumb: We need to hype this rivalry up, need to make it more meaningful. We should contact the Universities and GET SOMETHING STARTED

I like that concept too. A polished up rail tie! Taking a hint from some of the more vivid trophies around the nation like the Little Brown Jug (Minnesota-M*ch*gan)

jugs.jpg

The Old Oaken Bucket (Indiana-Purdue)

old-oaken-bucket.jpg

We paint one side of the tie orange on top, black on bottom and for the Weber side paint purple on top and white on bottom. The 3rd side can say "RAILROAD" in Orange and "RUMBLE" in Purple. The 4th side can have the scores from the years played, kind of like this:

ISU-34 2002 WSU-0
WSU-16 2010 ISU-13

I'll get working on a concept tonight after I'm finished with my paper, and I'll post a thread in the Weber Football forum as well

Whatever we do for a trophy and game name it needs to be take serious and some effort and thought put into it. The trophy needs to reflect the local area history and the universities. I was thinking a wood base with chromed railroad spikes holding up a chromed bowl or chromed railroad lamp. Every year the winner of the game is engraved on the side of the bowl/lamp. If ISU and WSU take it serious and they get the marketing people involved could probably get the game sponsored by Union Pacific and other businesses. If we can get a name ISU needs to put it on the schedule and start talking about it. I have the spikes the lamp and I have used a chrome shop in Ogden that could do the job and could be a possible sponsor if ISU/WSU worked it. I also have a cannon that I bought for last year but could not find anybody to shoot it as I could not because I left for Afghanistan. I will get home for the Eastern Washington game and would like to start the tradition of shooting it at the games.

BengalSapper said:
Whatever we do for a trophy and game name it needs to be take serious and some effort and thought put into it. The trophy needs to reflect the local area history and the universities. I was thinking a wood base with chromed railroad spikes holding up a chromed bowl or chromed railroad lamp. Every year the winner of the game is engraved on the side of the bowl/lamp. If ISU and WSU take it serious and they get the marketing people involved could probably get the game sponsored by Union Pacific and other businesses. If we can get a name ISU needs to put it on the schedule and start talking about it. I have the spikes the lamp and I have used a chrome shop in Ogden that could do the job and could be a possible sponsor if ISU/WSU worked it. I also have a cannon that I bought for last year but could not find anybody to shoot it as I could not because I left for Afghanistan. I will get home for the Eastern Washington game and would like to start the tradition of shooting it at the games.

I like that Idea, I really hope that the two Universities would take this seriously, You guys say Weber is ISU's only rival, well ISU is Weber's only rival, and its important to me that the games between the two programs are taken more seriously and are made an event. A trophy and a name would do wonders.

I wish Weber would bring thier cannon back. :cry:

isusuperfan said:
I'll get working on a concept tonight after I'm finished with my paper, and I'll post a thread in the Weber Football forum as well

Hey Superfan, have you finished that concept yet? I'd like to see what you came up with

Sorry not yet, I'll try to have it up tonight. Working on two big papers (one 8 pages, the other 15 and the capstone of my degree) so most of the time is spent collecting information (and digging through lots of British, French and German archives as well as international records).

Give me about 2-4 hours :)

OK since the site is being really wacked out, you guys can go check my Facebook. It's open to the public, leave comments here or on the profile. Sorry that took so long!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=278826&id=608932913&saved#!/photo.php?fbid=10150150107302914&set=a.10150112631902914.278826.608932913&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not bad superfan, not bad. Something definetely needs to be done to make this rivalry more serious, and a name and trophy are just the things to do it.

Latest posts

Back