• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

It wouldn't be unprecedented

tigersmilk

UNC embattled associate head coach resigns

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/05/1671471/unc-associate-head-coach-blake.html#ixzz11QlQn64O

Ward resigns as McPherson College football coach

http://www.mcphersonsentinel.com/archive/x1498217231/Ward-resigns-as-McPherson-College-football-coach

Youngstown State coach resigns after 9 seasons

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Youngstown-State-coach-resigns-after-9-seasons

Brad Salem Resigns as Augustana College Football Coach

http://www.goaugie.com/news/2010/2/19/FB_0219104525.aspx

Triton football coach resigns

http://www.newburyportnews.com/sports/x537287255/Triton-football-coach-resigns

Would an end of season Zamberlin resignation be the best thing for this football program?

I think resigning as soon as possible and allowing this program a chance to heal, retain players and demonstrate a commitment to change would be the honorable thing to do. Not that Zamberlin would ever care what I said, but I would respect him a great deal if he made that decision.

I feel for ISU and its fans regarding you're coach situation. At Weber, before our current coach Mac was hired, we had the exact same problem. But Mac has brought the program back from the brink. So there is hope. Hang in there, I have a feeling you'll get through this. BTW, I hope you upset the "griz", its possible!

From EGriz...

"ISU's team was on the Portland-Salt Lake City flight yesterday morning. I asked a coach (bald fella, around 50ish) how their season was going and he said not well. I neglected to mention I live in Missoula and went to UM. I then asked who they had coming up and how the rest of the season looks for them. He said Montana next week and said "it doesn't look good for us." I was surprised how little faith he had in his team, accurate for sure, but not what you would expect from the coach. I guess being 1-4 has a certain affect on moral."

I remember when I thought it couldn't get any worse. That's happened about a dozen times over the last two years. My frustration is turning to awe. It is almost entertaining now.

I feel the worst for the players. I think most of them are still working hard, and I commend them for it. Keep it up for your own integrity if nothing else.

I also feel for the coaches. Seriously. No doubt they are giving their all. I hope I never find myself in a similar position of professional failure.

I like Coach Z as a person, but he simply is not cutting it. Unless there is a miraculous turnaround before the end of the season, I sure hope he takes the high road and resigns. That's the only way the program, players, and supports can have any hope for the future. One more year of this futility will turn Holt into a ghost town.

our attendance has dropped about 1500 a game since zamberlin's first year. It wouldn't take too long for the increased attendance to pay for a buyout of his contract. I think it's about time that Tingey shows that he can build a successful sport program at idaho state. I read once that anyone can cut costs. But you can’t cut your way into a great business.

Wow, I didn't know that the coaches got paid so little. I really think you get what you pay for. You are not going to get a good coach for 100K no way. no wonder good coaches leave so quickly, and as for Tingey, he does what he is told to do. Vailis brought an unproven no experience person to run the Athletic Department for one reason. He does what he is told to do, Period. Why do you think the former SID, would put out so much ink and try to find any positive he could to help him, even if its half true. The Former SID would put any information out there for the public to read if there is a political advantage. They can't fire Z, Vailis Ordered Bubb to fire Lewis and then let him take the fall for the contract. The administration has painted themselves in a corner on this one. The buzz with the student athletes and those within the department is that they are stuck with the contract, unless he resigns.

bengalharley said:
Wow, I didn't know that the coaches got paid so little. I really think you get what you pay for. You are not going to get a good coach for 100K no way. no wonder good coaches leave so quickly, and as for Tingey, he does what he is told to do. Vailis brought an unproven no experience person to run the Athletic Department for one reason. He does what he is told to do, Period. Why do you think the former SID, would put out so much ink and try to find any positive he could to help him, even if its half true. The Former SID would put any information out there for the public to read if there is a political advantage. They can't fire Z, Vailis Ordered Bubb to fire Lewis and then let him take the fall for the contract. The administration has painted themselves in a corner on this one. The buzz with the student athletes and those within the department is that they are stuck with the contract, unless he resigns.

Harley, you are probably correct on this one. They may be stuck with the contract and the duration.

here is an old statistical table i used last season to show the trends of the zamberlin era

ISU-24.5 OPP-34.125
disparity-9.625

ISU-22.125 OPP-39.5
disparity-17.375
Dis-improvement from previous season: 7.75

2009 season
ISU-14.625 OPP-34.625
disparity-20
Dis-improvement from previous season: 2.625

2010 season (thus far)
ISU-10.333 OPP-35
disparity-24.667
Dis-improvement from previous season: 4.667

one thing that i see in all this is that while the offense has been getting consistently worse the defense (which has had more money and coaches and athletes poured into it than what makes sense) has not gotten any better. YIKES!!

Tigersmilk,

I've said it before in GameNotes but bad defense has been the norm there...I believe it is something like in 22 of the last 24 seasons that ISU has allowed at least 300 points. I really believe at Idaho State you need to outscore people...the dome is conducive to offenses and high-scoring, so the old run-and-gun and throwin' Idahoans made a lot of sense.

Remember though the best defense was 2002....something like 188 points. That defense is rare at ISU...always has been.

It has been interesting watching the games on BigSkyTV ... I will say this, whether or not that staff can get it done, and I'm obviously friendly and close with them, they do work hard and put maximum effort into their jobs. Whether or not it is translating is for others to decide, but certainly a third straight one-win season isn't good, no matter what school it is or what the situation is.

No one should question the fact they work hard and long hours...I can attest that they in fact do that.

Frank

I have zero doubt that the coaching staff works hard. I truly believe that Zambelrin made his biggest mistake out of the gate--the first two years of the program. You just can't get back what was lost and you cannot make up for the loss of kids and build a future loading up on JC transfers.

Just because someone works long hours doesn't mean they are working smart. Working hard and working smart aren't the same. Looking at how games unfold, the coaches really need to reevaluate how the spend their time. Mulitple times each game they have procedural mess-ups. they aren't getting the right personnel on the field. The game plans are elementary at best. Ramming your head into a wall and doing the same thing for 4 years is just stupid.

On the coaches show, when asked by Jerry Miller...Zambelrin said that missing a day of practice (due to APR penalties) each week has not really mattered at all. I find it hard that personnel groupings and the basics of play-calling couldn't benefit from an extra day of work each week.

That just seems crazy. Having to take an extra day off of prep each week not hurting? Sorry zambo, doesn't add up.

Logic- Why should we lay off the coaches? Because they are trying their best? They aren't cutting it. They should go try their best at Taco Bell or McDonalds where they are better suited for employment. I'm pretty sure Z is getting the For Sale sign dusted off...

Latest posts

Back