• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

It's Game Day

Skippy

Idaho State's men's team get things underway tonight with an exhibition game against D-3 Southern Virginia. SVU is a real mystery team -- their 20-man roster has 15 new players this year and most of the five returners played very little last year. The most interesting thing about SVU is the resume of their coach Tony Caputo, who has coached soccer and men's tennis at SVU before becoming their hoops coach. Caputo is a Weber State graduate, although it doesn't appear he played any varsity sport there. But he was recognized as the outstanding PE minor in 1984, so there's that.

I'm pretty sure Idaho State is going to win tonight, although stranger upsets have happened in these exhibition matchups. But other than the final score, I'll be more interested in how the Bengals play. Really looking forward to seeing newcomers Robert Jones and Hayes Garrity, two transfers who are expected to be significant contributors this year. Will be interested to see if Brandon Boyd is as exciting a talent over a season as he was in a very small sample size last year before getting hurt. Will be interested to see if Highland product Clark Wilkinson looks ready to contribute yet. And will be excited to see what improvements the returners have made in their games.

Remember it's a late start tonight -- 730. Hope to see you all there. Jerry and I will be on the air with the pre-game shows at 7 on KMGI.

Season preview (a bit late): http://idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-mbb-bengals-host-southern-virginia-in-exhibition-to-open/article_725ef74e-ac4d-5d03-a0c0-18a73dcd1076.html
Ethan Telfair is just as confident as ever. Should be a a fun season.

Post-game thoughts:

--As I said on the air tonight, ISU will go as far as ET and Luzcando can take them. They have developed a great chemistry, they are productive and explosive, and they are going to be the engine of this team. They will be tested most nights in the Big Sky, which is a guards league. How many of those tests they win will go a long way toward how successful the Bengals are.
--Hayes Garrity was a very nice pick-up. I was surprised he was starting ahead of GC, but I can see why -- a good, all-around player. Gotta keep him healthy. It will be interesting to see how GC reacts to coming off the bench, if that is indeed his long term role.
--Robert Jones has a lot of athleticism and length -- and, like most JC transfers, a long way to go to get into the flow of D-1 basketball. Early foul trouble and only 1 rebound in 17 minutes made for a rough debut. But you can see the potential and he is going to have to be a productive inside player for ISU to challenge the best teams in the league.
--Novak keeps taking baby steps, but he's got to get better at finishing around the rim. With ET on this team and all the three point shooting the Bengals have, Novak is going to get touches inside. Gotta do better than 1 for 6 from two feet.
--Stephen Lennox played very well in the second half, ran the floor hard and put up an efficient 8 points and 6 rebounds. He will play an important role off the bench for this team.
--Kyle Ingram and Brandon Boyd did not play because of suspension. Bill Evans didn't indicate when they might be back. Ingram is also bothered by a back issue. ISU is very thin inside and if Ingram doesn't get reinstated and healthy, that would be a big blow.
--Balint Mocsan has kind of been the mystery recruit this year. The freshman from Hungary hit three threes and made his bid for playing time this year, but honestly I'd have to consider red shirting him. ISU already has plenty of players with similar skills and I can't see Mocsan getting a lot of minutes this year. No need to waste a year of eligibility for 4 or 5 minutes a game. We shall see.

Latest posts

Back