• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

It's Official

bill_idaflls said:
http://www.isubengals.com/news/2012/3/8/MBB_0308122911.aspx

Can't wait to interview Bill and find out the story behind the names of two of his kids: Trajan and Kansas. :D

Funny how we got Kramer from MSU and Evans from UM!?!? These Montana schools must know how to win and know what they are doing!? ;) Welcome Mr. Evans! Glad to have you on board!

I was able to talk to Bill today. My immediate gut feeling after the meeting was that Idaho State made a good decision - he's certainly a guy who has the will to win. He makes you want him to be successful, I don't know that I've ever met anyone as genuine as Bill. I am excited to see what happens with this program. He declined to comment on whether or not the current coaching staff would be there, but did say he is in contact with people. He said something to the effect of, "I have a lot of friends all of a sudden." The press conference was really quite a neat event.

Couldn't agree with you more Amschutz. Genuine is a perfect word for him.

When a man takes a full minute or more to get completely (voice cracking and emotion in his voice) composed when he accepts a position, it really resonates with me. Bill Evans is grateful for the opportunity to be at Idaho State.

I took the opportunity to watch the current players in the program that were at the press conference. I saw some nodding and some grins and I am confident that they are going to give Evans the opportunity to earn their respect.

Evans also seems like he will be a team player in the whole athletic department, something that will be extremely valuable.

Sherrod and Melvin were chuckling through most of what Bill said, I think he'll really endear themselves to them. He certainly did to me - he said that I had an open ticket to his office. Telling that to someone in the media is pretty unique. I attempted to get recruited, no dice: "no offense intended, but I don't think we'll be recruiting you." :) He cracked me up.

Greetings Bengals!! So, I've got to add something here. I think Jeffery Tingy made a solid decision. Honestly, for him, it was an extremely difficult one to make. Martin is a good coach, and I really think that ISU would have been fine with him, but; Evans is better.

I really believe this, UM fans should really be worried about this hire. Evans is the man behind their defense. Five years ago, before Tinkle hired Evans, UM was 8-8 14-16. Since Tinkle hired Evans, UM has been at the top of the conference. They have had three straight 20+ win seasons and went from being 14-16 to 17-12 in one season, after his hire. Also, UM's defense has been the best in the Sky. Finally, Evans has been a huge and instrumental part in recruiting Cherry, Jamar, and Steward to UM. He is a major part of their success.

Yes, Tinkle is their head coach, but having a seasoned HC at your side is never a bad thing. Especially one that has been able to be successful under the handicaps placed on him by the SUU administration. Leaving SUU only has made Evans that much better. And before!! Yikes...He was able to be successful at the 5th DI school in Utah, using the regions leftovers. Using players no other DI schools in the area wanted, or were willing to take a chance on. Yes, SUU has a nice facililty, probably now since they are in the Sky, the 2nd or 3rd nicest, but that doesn't really help when the administration won't allow you to recruit out of state players.

Three things that will really help Evans be successful at ISU. 1. Even though there are tougher academic requirements for incoming athletes, Evans will have the entire nation to recruit. Before, at SUU, he only had slices of the region (mostly Utah and the areas close to its border, and JCs in the region). 2. ISU has decent facilities, and they are only being improved. Yes, I love to mock the Lolt, but my boy Jeffery has done an amazing job improving that facility. The Lolt is looking better, still smells awful, but I'm glad you have a new rug for football (thankfully no more crazy knee injuries from playing on Stake Center carpet), also that new court is sweet. I really like it. Right now, I'd say it is a great place to catch a game, and you have very loyal and good fans. 3. Poky isn't Cedar City and ISU isn't SUU. ISU has a lot to offer incoming students. Not knocking Cedar cool place to visit, but really, is it somewhere you want to be long term. Poky, even though I hate it :kisswink:, is a better long term destination than Cedar. Finally Poky is far more loyal to ISU than Cedar is to SUU. You, the Bengal faithful, will bring in and help Evans get more fans.

Final thought: Evans isn't going anywhere. He will be succesful and is content. He is ending his career. Whereas, Martin after two or three good seasons will leave. With Evans you will have a coach, after a couple of years, who will be competitive and have the Bengals in the thick of the conference race. Yes, Weber will still win, but... :clap: I think this is a great hire for the Bengals.

Great post, waldo. I totally agree. Deane was the safe bet, and I think would have been a good choice, but I'm confident Evans was the best choice. Time will tell, but I for one am excited about next year.

Latest posts

Back