• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Jeff Tingey Interview...

PBP

Folks, I didn’t have the chance to post this yesterday because there was a women’s basketball game last night so I wanted to do it today. I thought some of you may find interesting some of the comments from Jeff Tingey when I spoke with him yesterday on the coaches’ radio show.

Jeff and I talked about his role on the committee that seeds and picks the teams for the FCS football playoffs and what it is like in that room, I asked him about his thoughts on the fall sports that wrapped up…football, volleyball and soccer and then I asked him about scheduling, specifically the issues surrounding ISU and the difficulty in getting home games for any sport on a regular basis.

Jeff started with football and talked about how having Idaho back in the football mix is a very good thing. The two should be playing every year as a “rival.” He said that over the past two years he’s called basically “every” FCS school in the Midwest and the East to ask about a home and home series. He said the usual response from the A.D.’s that he speaks with is, “why should we go all the way out to Idaho to play you when there are a bunch of teams within driving distance we can play if we want to?” He said that he has been speaking with a school (he would not name it) in particular and that something may be worked out for a home and home series in the future. He was pleased with the progress the team made this year and said that “you don’t go from 2-9 to 9-2 in a single year.” He’s hoping ISU can build on this season and maybe win six or seven games next year because there were very competitive this past season save for one or two games.

Regarding the other sports and their scheduling issues he said that basically there were two reasons for what has been happening. First, and he was honest, he said ISU simply doesn’t have the money to pay teams to come to Pocatello and secondly he said that unless you are football and can charter right in to Pocatello, teams have to fly into either Boise or Salt Lake City and bus to Pocatello and he said coaches simply “don’t want to have to deal with that.”

Just wanted to pass it along since Jeff said this on-air in case you missed the show. If I think of anything else he said of note I’ll post it here.

PBP

This is more basketball related, but did he talk about the recent Big Sky-Summit League scheduling agreement? Was ISU asked to participate? Any chance of doing something like this in the future..?

Missoulian: Basketball teams to sign 4-year deal between Big Sky, Summit League

The four-year series between the two conferences will begin in the 2018-19 season and extend through 2021-22. Each team will play one home and one road game per season against a school from the other conference.

“Men’s basketball scheduling is a challenge, particularly in our geographic region,” Montana State athletic director Leon Costello said in a news release. He and MSU head coach Brian Fish were among those initiating the process. “This series guarantees a home game against a quality Division I opponent each season, and it builds familiarity between two highly competitive conferences. This series is a great way to overcome those scheduling challenges and provides benefits to each team."

SLCBengal said:
This is more basketball related, but did he talk about the recent Big Sky-Summit League scheduling agreement? Was ISU asked to participate? Any chance of doing something like this in the future..?

Missoulian: Basketball teams to sign 4-year deal between Big Sky, Summit League

The four-year series between the two conferences will begin in the 2018-19 season and extend through 2021-22. Each team will play one home and one road game per season against a school from the other conference.

“Men’s basketball scheduling is a challenge, particularly in our geographic region,” Montana State athletic director Leon Costello said in a news release. He and MSU head coach Brian Fish were among those initiating the process. “This series guarantees a home game against a quality Division I opponent each season, and it builds familiarity between two highly competitive conferences. This series is a great way to overcome those scheduling challenges and provides benefits to each team."

SLC: No he did not. I didn't even know about this myself so I wasn't in a position to ask him about it.

I know a few years ago the Big Sky initiated trying to do the same thing with the WCC and was told , "no thanks..."

One other thing that Jeff talked about was the future of the conference. He feels the conference is simply to big, to unwieldy and you can't crown a "true" champion because of the unbalanced schedules teams in all sports have to play. He feels that others in the conference are coming to the same conclusion and that in the future a hard look will be given to this issue. He mentioned how in the past there were rumors of some of the teams on the West Coast leaving for other conferences.

SLCBengal said:
The Big West announced the additions of Cal State Bakersfield and UC San Diego yesterday. That would bring membership to 11. There might be room for 1 more (Sacramento State, possibly Portland State?).

Big West Conference: CSU Bakersfield, UC San Diego to Join Big West Conference

The only current realistic option out "west" is the WAC, and it covers a broader geographic region than the Big Sky (Seattle to Illinois to Texas).

All true...but it's also possible that the Big Sky (like the Sun Belt did to Idaho and New Mexico State) simply votes to remove some members maybe Cal Poly and / or UC Davis. All it takes is a simple three-quarter "yes" vote among the members to remove anybody.

Not saying that would ever happen just that, if in fact, the conference members think things are getting out of hand, it is an option that can be invoked.

PBP

Latest posts

Back