• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Journal Article on Phil Earley

Bengal Roar

Earley to bed? Not likely
Offensive coordinator has imposing task to conquer with Bengals
BY JAY HEATER
[email protected]
While there might be no secrets in football, there are plenty of taboos against tipping your hand or sharing information.
On Tuesday at Holt Arena, new Idaho State offensive coordinator Phil Earley was gracious but guarded in talking about his plans for the 2010 Bengals.
Earley, who arrived on the scene just after Christmas, was watching film, trying to figure out ways to inject offensive life into a team that struggled to generate points in 2009.
The Bengals scored 12.9 points a game last season with only 42.9 yards a game rushing. They threw 13 touchdown passes, but 15 interceptions. The team had 29 fumbles, with 16 of those going to the other team. The offensive line gave up 31 sacks.
If Earley didn’t have tremendous respect for John Zamberlin, who was his teammate at Pacific Lutheran, he might not have pursued such an assignment.
On the other hand, Earley might be exactly what the Bengals need. A veteran coach of 24 seasons, he has been an offensive coordinator at Western Washington, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, Idaho, Nevada and Ohio University.
Cal Poly set or tied 28 offensive team records during his tenure. At Nevada, he coached the nation’s leading rusher in 2001, then coached the nation’s leading receiver in 2002.
Zamberlin landed a proven commodity and a guy who will command respect from his players.
“I have to change the culture of our offense,” Earley said. “I have to change the idea that we have to be the red-headed step-child. We want to be the strength of the team.”
He said some lessons, although painful, were learned last season. He pointed to a very inexperienced offensive line that took its lumps. “I think we are going to reap the benefits this year of our young offensive linemen being forced to get some many reps last year,” he said. “They were a bit tentative off the ball and they missed assignments.
“We want to keep developing our offensive line. I think they are going to be a good group.”
Shortly after his arrival, Earley was evaluating talent on film when he took a look at ISU’s offensive numbers. “What really jumped out were those 31 turnovers,” he said. “That hurts. Then I started to count five-yard penalties, it came close to 30. “I think there were 29 fumbles, and most of those came on plays where there was no gain. They weren’t fumbling the ball down the field. I think I can fix the false start stuff. By God, I am going to fix the fumbles.”
Besides his work as a coordinator, Earley also has worked with quarterbacks at most of his stops, including Syracuse, Auburn, Idaho, Nevada and Ohio University. “I’ve always been pretty good about eliminating interceptions,” he said. “I’ve gotten quarterbacks to be smart with the football, and have gotten them to understand that there is a difference between being careful and cautious.”
He wouldn’t give any specifics about his offensive plan for the Bengals, but he said, “We have to find a run game. We had a running back at Idaho, Joel Thomas (the Vandals’ career rushing leader), who was pretty good. When you have somebody like that, it’s a lot easier to call plays.”
Whether that back is junior college transfer Jahmel Rover remains to be seen. Rover injured a hamstring and had to sit out most of spring practice.
Although it is only summer, Earley is figuring out ways to highlight a group of tight ends he calls “big athletes who are pretty tough guys.”
He said his wide receiver corps remains a question.
Earley was asked what offense he would like to run if he had the athletes. “My answer would be a flexible one,” he said with a smile. “You can be creative with a flexible offense. You can slot the tight end or run a reverse pass with your wide receiver.
“The more flexible you are, the more you can work it. Then you can give a team a lot of looks. We will want to move, shift, have two backs or no back.”

Wow! The stats would indicate a 1-10 team! 31 turn overs, 30 penalties of the 5 yard variety and no running game. Oh yeah. 31 sacks, too. The positive thing here is that a bunch of the problems from last year are fixable. Block and take care of the rock! How many 3rd and long situations as a result of the penalty? You know that third and long is generally not a running situation. Also, have the discipline to remember the snap count, get the play off on time or defensively, don't cross the line of scrimage until the center snaps the ball. If the rush is too great, dump the pass in the flat or a slant. That'll slow down the rush. The important thing... focus.

I'm no genius, but if the team focuses on taking care of the ball and reduces the mental mistakes, this team can be vastly improved. I think they were coming around toward the end of last season. Example you ask... the close game with Montana and the end of the season win.

BTW... call me a homer, but I still stick with my 6-5 prediction for this year's team.

Latest posts

Back