• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

JUST A THOUGHT

GOBIGORANGE

I have really been racking my brain on how to help the football program...This is just a thought...ISU now has 5 sports for men and 8 sports for women listed...Mens: FB, BB, Cross Country, Tennis, and Track & Field...Womens:BB, VB, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field. I am tired of the Football Team having to sacrifice for the other programs when they themselves NEED SO MUCH. I think ISU should do away with Tennis for the Men, leaving FB, BB, Cross Country and Track & Field. I think they should do away with Golf, Softball, Tennis for the women, leaving BB, VB, Soccer, Cross Country and Track & Field....By deleting those programs ISU could pump way more money received from the money games into Football. Just a thought...Cub, any ideas?

and that would make them a division 3 or naia team....?

there are reasons they have each sport - typically it is to comply with the ncaa requirements to participate at a certain level..... drop one for either women or men and it will have a huge impact... just my thought

Spartan...Is that true that a University has to have a certain amount of sports available at Div 1 level? I know you have to offer as many for females as males but do we need 8 for females and 5 for males? Why did we drop Men's Golf and not Women's?

Title IX is the reason that more programs for the ladies have been added and it is a reason while some will not be dropped.

I do not believe that ISU is in any position to drop any of the sports for the ladies as I think they are striving for the the equal opportunity that Title IX promotes.

I am not sure what programs have to be offered, but I do believe that certain sports are required to keep BSC membership.

I am sure ISUSID understand this better than I do.

We actually are close to Title IX compliance, but there is a minimum number for Division I membership (I think it's 14 but don't hold me to that). Dropping those five would not work obviously, and we eventually will have to add one more for the women somewhere down the line.

Besides, would you really want to drop softball after getting a million-dollar plus land donation?

ISUSID

I hope that we don't go down the "the football team sucks and it's the women's sports fault" road here. If we can't afford to be a DI program, don't blame Title IX.

At least, our women's teams have made the NCAA playoffs this decade (bb and soccer) not to mention NIT bids also for the women's bb. The men bb team last played a NCAA playoff game in 1987. The football team last played a NCAA playoff game in 1983.

Don't get me wrong, I support all ISU sports and hope that the football team can turn it around and I think the men's bb team is on the right path but scapegoating non-revenue and women's sports is not the answer. DI teams have to field so many sports that is why they are DI. Of course, there are DI schools that don't play football (Gonzaga for example) but they still have to field a good number of sports.

The fact that the football team has to play to get beat up and make $900,000 is a sad indictment on the current status of college football. The enemy is the BCS teams. They are greedy, they have turned college football into a huge business and don't care about places like ISU. ESPN and cable sports in general also contributes to the problems for small schools. There are games on TV all day and kids grow up learning to root for national teams not local teams. As a kid, I was a Bengal fan. There is no way that I would stay home and watch a national game on TV if it meant missing a Bengal game. ISU was my team, win or lose. Today, that local loyalty is gone. For example, in Pocatello, count the number of Boise State hats and shirts versus ISU hats and shirts. Heck, I even see BSU stuff sold in local stores and there is not ISU stuff. College football is meant to be played in places like Pocatello, Cheney, Ogden, and Flagstaff and not just Norman, Athens, Lansing, etc. Yet, I am not optimistic about the future of small college football in general because the trend is for national teams and national exposure and not local loyalty and pride.

Spud, I was not taking any stance on Title IX. However, these are some of the reasons why some programs are dropped and others are started.

isusid said:
Besides, would you really want to drop softball after getting a million-dollar plus land donation?

ISUSID

Not to mention they had a 20-win season last year and return almost everybody from said campaign, they are in a conference and they dominated almost all the teams last season that just so happen to be in this conference.

Why squander a potential NCAA Tournament caliber team?

bengalcub said:
Spud, I was not taking any stance on Title IX. However, these are some of the reasons why some programs are dropped and others are started.

Cub, I didn't take your thread as a stance, what you said was purely factual.

Frank also makes a good point about the 1 million dollar land donation for softball.

spudbowl said:
The fact that the football team has to play to get beat up and make $900,000 is a sad indictment on the current status of college football. The enemy is the BCS teams. They are greedy, they have turned college football into a huge business. There are games on TV all day and kids grow up learning to root for national teams not local teams. College football is meant to be played in places like Pocatello, Cheney, Ogden, and Flagstaff and not just Norman, Athens, Lansing, etc.
A bit overboard in its application to Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, Sac State and the like, but the best expression I've read of what has become the sickness of Griz Football - a college program that has been granted much of the ballyhoo of a professional team, and forced to accept many of the burdens as well.

DA Griz, your comments are interesting, could expand on them a bit? I would think that Montana is the great exception to my argument. They are a DI FCS team that is beloved in their own community and the non-Bozeman part of Montana. I doubt that you see a lot of big school hats and clothing in Missoula. it would be interesting to hear your views on UM. Anybody in Pocatello, would give anything to have had such a strong football team the last decade plus.

Spudbowl:

The BCS needs tweaking to allow deserving teams like BSU and TCU in, but to hell with playoffs. College football is awesome in its chaotic uniqueness. The regular season is watchable and enjoyable. Each week is a wild affair.

Trust me, I have thought long and hard on how to tweak the BCS enough that we can have a bonanza of the best teams in college football. I'll post if you want to hear it :D

To you small schools: suck...it...up. Why can't you be more like Boise? They shut up, took the money gratefully and are probably going to be a national player for a long time. TCU will most likely do the same if they get in. The Utah Utes had that great Sugar Bowl win but probably turned a lot of people off with their damn bickering. You won a few million dollars, in a BCS Bowl Game, with ungodly recruiting opportunities and you complain? Maybe that's why you're disliked and disrespected by larger schools...because you fail to observe how special the major bowl games are. :evil:

It is an HONOR to play in the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta Bowls. So when you win it, be grateful, take the money and build yourselves into a contender. Tell your senator thank you, but tell him where to stick it.

Latest posts

Back