• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Just Wondering

bill_idaflls

Where are the 2010-2011 basketball schedules for men and women? I saw a Missoula newspaper on August 5 with Montana's schedule for men. Neither the men's nor the women's are posted on the ISU website. Anyone know if schedules are finalized yet?

Somebody wrote a few weeks ago (ISJ?) that the men's schedule was about "one game" from being finalized. Besides the conference schedule, the following games are shown on these schools' schedules (in no particular order):

ESPN Bracket Buster: @ISU

MSU-Billings @ISU (exhibition)
Carroll @ISU (exhibition)
Great Falls @ISU
UMKC @ ISU

@Colorado
@Arizona
@Iowa
@South Dakota State
@Creighton

@Utah State Tournament
(Troy)
(Western Michigan)
(Utah State)
I believe the USU tournament is a round-robin style tournament, therefore each team will play the other 3.

I haven't seen much on the women's schedule (Loyola-Marymount @ ISU, @ Texas, and @ UTEP tourney with Arkansas and High Point)...

Finally, a response from ISU.

http://www.isubengals.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/idsu/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/ISU2010MBBSchedule

And, the Women's Schedule:

http://www.isubengals.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/idsu/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2010-11Schedule

The men's non-conference home schedule is just plain bad. The Bracket Buster is still an unknown, but probably a similar-type team (as far as RPI rating) from the Big West or WAC. There is no motivation to attend a game before the conference season begins.

Maybe it's time to think outside the box as far as scheduling goes. First, resume the series with Boise State next year. That's a no brainer. Second, maybe it's time to start a series in Boise against Idaho at the downtown arena there -- split the proceeds yearly or every other year. Third, start using your football scheduling, if at all possible, to also get some basketball games. Utah State signed to play a football game at USC, and part of the agreement was to also get an one-and-one series with the Trojans for basketball. BYU won't play a football game in Moscow, but did schedule a game in Provo (and agreed to a one-and-one basketball series with the Vandals as part of that deal).

ISU did a great job when it scheduled USU, Utah and BYU for non-conference home games two seasons ago -- but the turnout was marginal at best for those games. In return, ISU had to repay those 2 for 1s with road games that made their next year's schedule brutal.

Would like to see the Bengals schedule more "equal" opponents, like the Great West teams or that outstanding South Dakota State team they played at Reed a few years ago. But I doubt that they will generate much more gate than the Great Falls and Western Montanas do.

I remember back in the 1980s, ISU used to get teams like Gonzaga, Washington State and USC to play in the Dome. (Most of those would never come to Pocatello these days). But they never big crowds. Pocatello basketball fans just don't seem to get interested until conference season.

I agree, that schedule leaves a lot to be desired. Nine of 12 away from home, 2 of the home games against non-D1, the third home game is against a "who's that" team. At least the so-called money games are against programs that are beatable... Arizona is down lately, Colorado is always down, Iowa is down (according to OB). Hopefully that SDSU game is part of a home and home, these are the types of games ISU should play.

The South Dakota State game is the back-end of the 2005-06 game from Doug Oliver's final year...it was put off for a while due to new coaches and differing schedules.

I can tell you Joe O'Brien does the scheduling himself and works the phones really hard for home games....it's just tough, and a many times when he can get a game the dome isn't available. Have I mentioned I don't have to worry about going back and forth between two basketball arenas anymore?

Frank

Skippy said:
Would like to see the Bengals schedule more "equal" opponents, like the Great West teams or that outstanding South Dakota State team they played at Reed a few years ago. But I doubt that they will generate much more gate than the Great Falls and Western Montanas do.

I think you mean North Dakota State, Skippy. As I recall, most of those players were freshmen, and that team upset a lot of teams over the next couple of years. When most were seniors, NDSU reached its first NCAA (division I) tournament. I kept an eye on them during that period because they were fun to watch.

I'll still watch the pre-season games on Big Sky TV, don't get me wrong. I just always try to make the drive to Poky for at least one pre-conference game, because the weather and roads are "slightly" more predictable than they are in late December/January/February. The BSU game (familiar & regional opponent) drew about 1,000 more people than either of the other lower level out of conference games last year.

Skippy said:
Yes, it was N. Dakota State...can't keep all those directional Dakotas straight! :D

Skippy--I'll bet you remember Slim Millien throwing down one of the most serious slams that you have ever witnessed in person.

I could have swore that he had a sweet oop against North Dakota State--when ISU made that massive comeback. I guess I have my years messed up. You are right though--the BSU game was badass as well. Did they play those two teams the same weekend? I am getting way too old and the years are starting to run together.

Same season buit it was BSU. (Hat was a fun nonConference run that year. - thought the Bengals were going to be special that year but they really flattened out in conference.

Latest posts

Back