• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Kane Ioane Next Defensive Coordinator

bobcat92

Will Holden of the Bozeman Daily Chronicle reported that ISU has talked to Ioane about being the DC. Huge loss for MSU but a good move for Kane. He would move up from being the lb coach. Kramer was the head coach when he played and was an assistant coach under him.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/app/msu-bobcats/

Kane Ioane
According to one source with knowledge of the situation, preliminary talks have taken place between Kane Ioane and Idaho State about what still appears to be an open defensive coordinator position. While it hasn’t been publicly indicated that Mike Kramer is still looking for a defensive coordinator, it hasn’t been indicated that he’s hired one either. On a staff chalk full of youngsters — five of Kramer’s new coaching staff with the Bengals are most recently removed from graduate assistant positions — Ioane would be a great get. Make no mistake, Kane Ioane is ready for more responsibility as a coach. Those linebackers were all his this year and he did a phenomenal job with them. His players love him and he has an understanding of the Big Sky Conference.

Not only that, Ioane would be willing to go. Moving on to coach a former rival matters little to coaches trying to advance in their careers (see Justin Gaines) and taking such a position, even at a school like Idaho State, would more than double Ioane’s salary. The source said the discussions about this position between Ioane and ISU had not progressed because MSU was still in the playoffs. With the Bobcats’ season now over, expect some movement regarding this situation within the next couple of weeks.

Very intersting; of course, Bengal fans are very familiar with Ioane as the BSC Defensive MVP was debated several times. I would trust Holden on this one, he seems to have the pulse of the Bobcats and the BSC.

BTW, some good football on tv today, I'm watching App State and Villanova now.

Wow. This was the guy that beat Jared Allen out for BSC Defensive MVP in 2003. Rumor has it, the Kramer pulled strings with the coaches around the BSC to vote For Ioane over Allen. This was the year that Jared Allen won the award as the NATIONS best defensive player (Buch Buchanan Award) but did NOT win the best defender award in the BSC. This was something that chapped the balls of Larry Lewis--and rightfully so. With that said Ioane was an absolute stud and I am not here claiming he wasn't worthy.

Regardless, this would be a great get for Idaho State and Mike Kramer. The Bobcats in there own little way have become Idaho States little Santa Clause this year.

I've always been partial to Montana State and I loved hanging out with them at Cat/Bengal games in Bozeman. Good folks! One things you need to admit, Montana State has shown in modern day, that it is possible to rebuild a program into a perennial BSC Conference contender. They have had some lean years and problems of their own, but they have moved on and overcame some major challenges. As a Bengal fan they have given me hope and by and large--they are happy that Kramer is at ISU and wish him the best of luck. Did I say good folks?

Well..........shows you what I thought....lmfao.

Obviously Kramer is going after the youngsters with talent and giving them an excellent opportunity to show what they got and pave the way for moving up in the years if they are successful here at ISU.

Kane: your blue blood MUST turn into orange now. GET 'ER DONE!!

GO BENGALS!!

Found this from the griz site. Oh and by the way Kramer is getting all his ducks in a row......................................

grizpack » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:32 pm

I didn't have any trouble following the thread. And I think Kane Ione was the biggest miss by the Griz coaching staff that the Cats landed.grizpack
eGriz Supporter

It would be a great opportunity for Kane but I would hate to see him go. MSU could lose 4 or 5 quality coaches this offseason which would suck. Kane Ione was a human missile for Cat defense. He would be a great get for for the Bengals and he knows what type of defense that Kramer wants.

As someone who was on the conference call, I think that there were coaches that knew Kramer (Graybeal, Wulff) and liked him and went with Ioane on the vote. Kramer voted for Jared and after the vote was done, Kramer made it a point to say that Jared was a great player and that he was going to win the Buchanan.

FormerISUSID

A lot of us just felt that the Big Sky coaches had voted for Kane Ioane over Jared Allen because a lot of the coaches didn't like Larry Lewis. After the voting had occurred, Lewis was furious and called all of the coaches who voted for Ioane and he had them explain exactly why they voted for Ioane over Allen. It does seem ridiculous, though, that Allen would lose out on the Big Sky Defensive MVP and then go on to win the Buck Buchanan national award.

Regardless of who voted for who or who said what--Kramer and Ioane may both end up being Bengals and I am pretty damn excited about it.

I’m sorry but I don’t like this move at all. Jared has been very gracious and giving to ISU since he left. I don’t think it’s a good idea to potentially bite the hand that feeds you. There has to be a better guy for the job.

quote="Red Hill"]I’m sorry but I don’t like this move at all. Jared has been very gracious and giving to ISU since he left. I don’t think it’s a good idea to potentially bite the hand that feeds you. There has to be a better guy for the job.[/quote]

Allen, generous to ISU? Obviously, yes, and it's certainly appreciated. Very gracious? Not so much, in my opinion. He always introduces himself before an NFL game as being from the *Culinary Institute* instead of Idaho State. Just a "laugh line"? I'm not laughing. As Churchill once said: He is a "mystery wrapped in a conundrum surrounded by an enigma".

I think you underestimate Jared. If ISU was truly fearful of cutting ties to Allen, it would have never fired Coach Lewis. He's been very generous since, and I think he will continue to be. It's not a personal thing - Ioane never campaigned for the award, and even if he did, Jared is laughing all the way to the bank - literally.

If the administration is worried, they can always make a courtesy call to Jared and run it by him. Should Ioane become the DC, you could actually have some fun with this. If Allen's time permits, run some commercials for season tickets with Ioane and Allen. Kane could introduce himself as ISU's new assistant coach and could throw in that he was the 2003 Big Sky Defensive MVP. He could sarcastically ask Jared what he's accomplished. Jared could say he was "only" the nation's best that year, and has "only" gone on to several NFL pro-bowls since. You get the idea.

It bothered me at first when he wouldn't say Idaho State University during introductions, but I think ISU actually gets a little more notice in a round about way because of it now. I don't know how many times the announcers have chuckled afterward and then specifically mentioned that Jared attended Idaho State. Other times, I bet a fair amount of people look up that supposed culinary school and end up discovering on their own he attended ISU. That would stick with them. Being the character he is, most understand it.

PLEASE don't take Kane! PLEASE don't take Kane! That said, if you do, you are getting a real gem. Kane is a great guy. He was an absolute stud on the field, and as a coach has really done fantastic in leading and getting his players to follow. Me thinks ISU is finally looking at turning the corner. Might take a few years -- be patient Bengal fans -- but good things seem to be in store for you!

bengalcub said:
It looks like Ioane is staying at Montana State according to the Cat message board.

Okay, so, a rumor started by bobcat fans turns out to be false. What gives? Just a few bobcat fans stroking their... er... ego.

biobengal Will Holden of the Chronicle is usually a good source. I wasn't trying to build my ego. I actually saw on your board earlier that someone hoped Kane might come to ISU. Thought you guys might be interested in a pretty good source of information. I am actually happy he is staying as I liked him as a player and coach. Good luck to ISU Football and the new CEO.

Latest posts

Back