• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Kragthorpe visits camp / Another QB gone

Bengal Roar

Bengals
Kragthorpe implores ISU’s players to keep a positive attitude
JAY HEATER
[email protected]
As the Idaho State football team stretched on the practice field across from Holt Arena, some mean, dark clouds rolled into the area.
Need a theme for the 2010 season? Perhaps it would be, “There’s a storm coming.”
After watching two unsuccessful seasons, Bengals fans certainly would love to see a squad willing to bring some bad intentions to the field, along with a little thunder and lightning.
The Bengals’ first workout of the season, a crisp two-hour session, was preceded by a special guest who addressed the team — former ISU coach Dave Kragthorpe, whose 1981 team won the national championship.
Those familiar with the 77-year-old Kragthorpe, who now lives in Logan, Utah, know that he inherited a team that had gone 0-11 in 1979. His 1980 Bengals squad went 6-5 before winning it all in 1981.
After telling the Bengals, who have had just two wins the past two seasons, that a positive attitude was key to turning the tables, Kragthorpe was asked how he would respond to people who don’t think winning is possible in Pocatello.
“I would tell them they are crazy,” he said. “There was nothing magic about Dave Kragthorpe. We won six games that first year because of the players. They had a great attitude.
“But there is no formula. People often ask me how we were able to do that. I said if I knew, I would have written a book.
“I do believe that you want to be positive all the time. If you are yelling and screaming at them all the time, what else are they going to think?”
Kragthorpe said if the current Bengals could put a few wins on the board, the fans would pack Holt Arena. “They came during halftime of my first year here,” he said. “We had lost our first two games and were playing Portland State and (quarterback) Neil Lomax. In that first half, the student section was only a third full. But we got up at halftime and they must have been listening on the radio, because the section was full in the second half.”
ISU coach John Zamberlin said he asked Kragthorpe to address the team because he could see some similarities. The current Bengals have faced adversity, but they’ve got a group that has invested the effort, along with a few key transfers, just like that 1980 squad.
“That was the last guy to win a national championship here,” Zamberlin said. “It means a lot to our guys. They will listen to him.”
Zamberlin was pleased with the opening workout, noting that “we have some guys who can move.”
At the top of that list were two junior college transfers, slot back Tavoy Moore and running back Jahmel Rover, who give the Bengals a pair of important offensive weapons.
Unfortunately, Zamberlin also had to deal with some bad news on Friday as freshman quarterback Mike Davenport, out of Highland High School, decided to quit football. After returning from a mission, Davenport informed Zamberlin that his heart isn’t in it. Davenport’s decision leaves the Bengals dangerously short on quarterback depth.
Senior Russel Hill and redshirt freshman Kyle Morris will have to stay healthy.
NOTES: Zamberlin had to go without film for the last 20 minutes of practice as he had to pull his cameramen off the metal towers with lightning threatening. ... ISU’s fourth annual Football 101 Women’s Clinic will be held on Aug. 24. Participating women will tour the newly-renovated football locker room and the Jared Allen Strength & Conditioning Center. Participants will go through four quarter circuit drills and have the opportunity to take the field in the Orange & Black Scrimmage. Hosted appetizers and beverages follow the clinic. Entry is $40 which includes a Football 101 T-shirt. Call 282-5773 by Aug. 21 to enter. ... Bengal fans can join the entire ISU coaching staff at the ISU Bengal Sports Kickoff Party to be held in conjunction with the 9th annual Bengal Challenge. The kickoff party will be held at Intermountain Beverage on Aug. 14 and will feature music and food. Intermountain Beverage is located at 3034 Garrett Way. Doors open at 7 p.m. Dinner will be catered by Remo’s, Mama Inez and The Pressbox. Tickets are available for $20 per person. Call 282-5773 for details.

Like many of us, I was looking forward to seeing Davenport play again. I was not expecting him to come in and save the day this year because he would need to get back in football shape and learn the system. As we are hearing he has given up football.

Okay now that I have buried that issue let's talk about who is here. Hill looked sharp and in control, showed a take charge attitude. Morris is improved and is throwing better and better. As with all the kids working at QB, I'm seeing very accurate passing. If I'm watching and your missing 1 out of every 3 passes thrown in one on one drills or just passing drills, I see a future issue. If you are not accurate coming out of high school, I don't think you can learn to be accurate in college. You either have it or you don't. Now for the other kid, the one none of you have metioned. I have seen Kyler Carlson play, two years ago I watched a young man and his team take Minico apart in the dome and commented that we should be looking at the QB a Jr. and the WR a Sr.
We didn't get the WR but the QB is now working out with the team. He is not disappointing me, nice crisp throws, good foot work, better than average arm. He has the tools to be a good QB physically, let's see how he develops. Because of Davenports decision, they also have a young man who is a punter throwing some. Funny thing is, the kid has a really good arm that is not only strong but accurate. He stands about 5-7 and looks like a bowling ball, but had respectable stats as a High School QB. Not what you want to see ideally, but keeping four really good QB's on a team with only 65 scholorships is tough. I have seen the team play with only three QB's more often than I have with 4 over the years.

I believe that C.J. Reyes is the short punter turned QB that you are talking about Blackfoot. He was an all league kid and passed for 2,800 his senior season at Hart HS in CA.

It is hard to have depth at some positions because of the APR issue. I read somewhere that in addition to the APR hits--ISU was not currently at the 65 scholarship level anyhow. With the culmination of both, I think I read they only have 57 or 58 total.

Depth at QB, WR and RB--I fear will become very evident as the season progresses. Idaho State may have solid performers out of the gates, but one injury at any of these positions could prove devastating. I would think that they could have gotten a good WR or two late, but I am not sure. Rover, Moore and Tracy at RB--that is very thin. I am thinking the Morgan decision came late and that is too bad. If that was known earlier, maybe a kid like Jordan Scott stays or even better a kid like Darrius Coleman is offered a scholarship.

Does anyone have access to an updated roster? The ISU site has the spring roster up--so if someone has it and wants to e-mail it to me, I will type it up and get it on here.

Cub I think the ISU roster in the Big Sky media guide that was just posted appears pretty up to date. It doesn't include guys like Coleman and Scott and does include a new linebacker the Francis kid. It's a good thing Earley is on board at OC. ISU will need his willingness to use TEs and FBs due to the extreme shortage of WRs and TBs. And heaven help the Bengals if Hill goes down!

I did see that yesterday--it did have the punter from TN and Francis. I am hoping to see a current fall roster, because I am curious as to what JC kids ISU might have gotten late. It is sort of like the day after Christmas sale--sometimes you get a good deal or two. See DeRonn Finley, Pete Garzas and fellas like that.

Cub, with the scholarship limitations ISU is facing now, would they even be able to add late JCs? Maybe as walk-ons....

Skippy said:
Cub, with the scholarship limitations ISU is facing now, would they even be able to add late JCs? Maybe as walk-ons....

I would think the answer is yes. At least that is my interpretation and I am not 100% sure. I would think that if a player left over the summer or in the spring--they would have the option to go after a kid. It would depend on if a kid that left was on scholarship and if the athlete was an 0-2. If the kid is not an 0-2, I would think the scholarship could be awarded again. What we don't know is which kids were on scholarship and if they left in good academic standing...

***0-for-2. Under the APR calculation, an "0-for-2" student-athlete is one who is neither academically eligible nor remains with the institution. An 0-for-2 player might be one who transfers, leaves the institution for personal reasons or leaves to turn pro and would not have been academically eligible had he or she returned. Obviously, these are the types of situations the academic-reform structure is most meant to address, since they are the most damaging to a team's APR. While teams cannot always control the reasons student-athletes leave, the immediate (or contemporaneous) penalty holds them accountable for at least making sure student-athletes are academically eligible during their college tenures.

***Immediate penalties. Known also as contemporaneous penalties, these are the most immediate penalties in the academic-reform structure. They occur when a team with an APR score below 925 loses a student-athlete who would not have been academically eligible had he or she returned (an "0-for-2" student-athlete). An immediate penalty means that the team cannot re-award that grant-in-aid to another player. In effect, a team's financial aid limit is reduced by the amount of countable aid awarded to the student-athlete who did not earn eligibility and was not retained. This penalty is not automatically applied when teams fall below the APR cut point; it is applied only when teams below that line do not retain an academically ineligible player.

There are exceptions available. The exceptions are applicable to:

* A student-athlete who has exhausted eligibility in the sport in which the aid was awarded.
* A student-athlete who does not use all of his or her seasons of competition but exhausts his or her five-year clock.
* A partial or nonqualifer who fails to earn a fourth season of competition by graduating prior to the start of his or her fifth year, and therefore has exhausted eligibility.
* A fall sport student-athlete who concludes his or her competitive eligibility at the end of the fall term and does not return to the institution after the fall term.

Skippy said:

It looks like the answer to that question is yes. Josh Bigler/WR and Corey White/RB have both transferred from Idaho to Idaho State. ISU recruited Bigler out of HS and Corey White was a 3 Star RB that has battled injuries with the Vandals--excellent 4.5 speed and quickness.

Forget about Skylar Morgan right now, Corey White is a very capable replacement.

Also, the QB for Mountain View in UT was a HS stud. He threw for 2,700 yards as a SR with 25 TD's and rushed for over 800 yards with 8 more scores--including one game where he rushed for 221 yards. Forget about Mike Davenport--now.

Great job by Zamberlin and staff picking up three kids late.

I really don't think that Skylar Morgan was ready to play last season, but when you consider the injury situation we had last year at RB, he's one of the few we had left. But we'll be glad to have him back in a couple years after he gets back from his mission, and he'll have some maturity. And I'm hoping he can hit the weight room and bulk up a little as well! I don't think we can count out these mission kids, because teams like BYU, Weber, USU and others have been relying on them for a long time and most have come through for them.

Coach Kragthorpe....

GREAT COACH!

EVEN A BETTER PERSON!!!

How great to have him address the team. He is a man who always said..."WALK SOFTLY, WITH A BIG STICK"... "#1 IS YOUR SCHOOL...(ISU)...DO NOT DIS-RESPECT YOUR SCHOOL....YOU DO AN YOU ARE GONE!!!

Bless Coach Kragthorpe and his wife Barb!

Latest posts

Back