• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Kramer is not Happy with Travel

I cannot blame Kramer for not being happy with the travel arrangements in the last two games to Portland and Flagstaff. He does not think it is good for his players to be treated that way by taking buses and flying commercial. You would think the team deserves better after playing in two money games worth one million dollars. I guess it has to do with the budget so Kramer and the team I guess will have to deal with it until there is more money available in the budget. I do not know why Kramer Complains to the media after games other than he may believe this way of travel affects his team performance during games on the road.

Eric hollowell said:
Up, if you're going to be champions you have to win road games. No matter back to back on in this case two weeks apart.

Eric: I agree. We have to win on the road to be a champion. Kramer said that the travel arrangements showed disrespect to the players and if you are going commit to having a winning team than ISU has to have commitment to winning. I guess Kramer expects to fly Charter flights only. I do not blame him as traveling is no fun taking a bus and a commercial flight before and after a game. Maybe, taking a bus before a game long distance does affect a player performance. Just sayin

Up,

Feeling disrespect is how a lot of games are won not lost.
As for fair travel well life lessons for young man is that life is not fair. We play football whenever wherever. Just like when You go out into the real world, you go show up to work everyday. I have no dog in this fight but Im still a fan.

Up ,

Hannibal and his troops had to climb over the Alps to go in fight. And the complaint is you have to take a bus to play a football game. Where is the life lesson after overcoming over the odds?

I understand travel can be difficult for a team as you have coaches, players, and all of that equipment to shuffle around. Taking a charter flight to the closest airport and bus to and from the hotel to the game is the only way to go. The problem is no money in the budget so bus rides and commercial flights is the next best way to travel.

.....I am firmly with "Eric hollowell"....give me the young men that understand that "Life" hands you nothing.....you make your own way....you have been deemed worthy enough to be given a football scholarship....to play football ....AND help you continue your education.....take any and all obstacles you face...lesser facilities...tougher travel conditions...etc....and use them as motivation when you play......show the world that you relish those opportunities.....and still plan to WIN....through any and all adversity you face.....

....those young men that understand that......those are the ones I want on my team.....and representing ISU....."GO BENGALS !"......

I say this just for fun because I agree with both sides of this discussion because both sides make good and valid points. I say show the team a video of the movie MAJOR LEAGUE, you know the baseball movie from the early 1990's with Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Wesley Snipes,Corbin Bernson, Renee Russo. Does anyone remember that movie? Lol rememeber there TEAM AIRPLANE lol haha. That plane was like a beat up old cargo plane. Then they had to start traveling by use of there TEAM BUS, haha that bus looked like it was from 1955. And what do you know that Cleveland Indians team won the American League Central Divison. So if those guys can get it done with adverse travel conditions our fighting Bengals can and will get it done also.

As Bruce Barnum said on his pregame interview before the Portland State game. Not verbatim but basically this. Only focus on what you can control. He said you can't complain about what you don't have and work with what you do have. The players job is to play football at the coaches job is to coach. His reference was to the facilities at Portland State vs the facilities that other schools have. This is the place that they have and it is THEIR place. I would assume that this applies to all facets and challenges in his program. Bruce is a tough SOB and kids respect someone who doesn't make excuses.

Is travel a problem at ISU and would the team be more comfortable if they could charter like other schools? Yes. Is the schedule a challenge at ISU? Yes. Are academic requirements a challenge at ISU? Yup. Is playing two D-1 opponents each year a challenge? Uh-huh. But you play with what you got and work to get the things that you feel you need to make your program successful. Pissing and moaning and making excuses doesn't fix the problem. It doesn't teach kids to overcome obstacles and it for dang sure doesn't excite the fan base.

Win some games, quit blaming everyone and everything else for your programs short-comings or go coach youth football. Let someone else have the job who will work with what they have and not complain.

Its old. I love Mike Kramer but his style is refreshing and understandable early, a wee bit agitating at the mid-point, and totally irritating to me right now.

Can anyone else win at ISU? Probably not. Should someone else try? It is beginning to look that way.

...I agree bengalcub.....I drank the koolaid when Kramer was hired....probably asked for a second glass....but what you said hits the nail on the head as to my feelings currently.....my comments were not only meant for the type of players....but also the coaching staff....you know our situation coming in.....come on aboard, grab an oar and start rowing....or get off the ship.....

bengalcub said:
As Bruce Barnum said on his pregame interview before the Portland State game. Not verbatim but basically this. Only focus on what you can control. He said you can't complain about what you don't have and work with what you do have. The players job is to play football at the coaches job is to coach. His reference was to the facilities at Portland State vs the facilities that other schools have. This is the place that they have and it is THEIR place. I would assume that this applies to all facets and challenges in his program. Bruce is a tough SOB and kids respect someone who doesn't make excuses.

Is travel a problem at ISU and would the team be more comfortable if they could charter like other schools? Yes. Is the schedule a challenge at ISU? Yes. Are academic requirements a challenge at ISU? Yup. Is playing two D-1 opponents each year a challenge? Uh-huh. But you play with what you got and work to get the things that you feel you need to make your program successful. Pissing and moaning and making excuses doesn't fix the problem. It doesn't teach kids to overcome obstacles and it for dang sure doesn't excite the fan base.

Win some games, quit blaming everyone and everything else for your programs short-comings or go coach youth football. Let someone else have the job who will work with what they have and not complain.

Its old. I love Mike Kramer but his style is refreshing and understandable early, a wee bit agitating at the mid-point, and totally irritating to me right now.

Can anyone else win at ISU? Probably not. Should someone else try? It is beginning to look that way.

It may be frustrating to Kramer to lose on the road and than know the travel back home is not his cup of tea. The good news is that he is back in town for two games before going on the road again to play the Grizz

I wish there were some way to ignore the elephant in the room but at the end of the day something's gotta give.

I love what Kramer IS doing bringing ISU football into the 21st century, and fighting for things to level the playing ground, I just wish I and everyone else had deeper pockets to make it happen faster.

I believe we can have a successful program, even if we fly commercial and share busses with the local high schools, I know Kramer knows what it will take, but is probably only given 1/2 at best of what he is asking for. Which is why Kramer always seems pissed after a loss, and like he won the lottery after a win.

I know everybody wants more transparency from Kramer and the big wigs that control the strings, whether puppet or purse.

It all will change if we give it time and resources, I don't know if it's time to hand off the baton or not that ain't my job. I just want something to cheer for.

I certainly can't speak for the players on the team and the experiences they had going to Portland and Phoenix / Flagstaff.

I know that I was wrung out from 11 and 12 hour bus rides, slept a lot on those Sunday's and was still feeling the effects on Monday. Granted...I'm not 20 and in the shape they are but I also don't have to go out there and try to compete against other individuals in the same age range and physical shape (to say nothing of trying to go to class Monday.)

For what its worth I can tell you that several years ago when ISU had to bus to Portland for the women's basketball post season tournament over two days (because they couldn't get airplane tickets at a reasonable rate a few days ahead of time. The host wasn't decided until the last Saturday) and their opponent Montana flew in, with their bus meeting them in Portland (they bussed back after the tournament) some of the players told me there was a major difference in performance. Montana's kids were fresher, jumped to the ball quicker and had more energy.The individuals who told me that were tough kids who never made excuses and I don't think they were doing it at the time. They were simply stating what they considered a fact as athletes who know their bodies and how they perform better than anyone else.

Take it for whatever that may be worth to the discussion.

PBP

PBP said:
I certainly can't speak for the players on the team and the experiences they had going to Portland and Phoenix / Flagstaff.

I know that I was wrung out from 11 and 12 hour bus rides, slept a lot on those Sunday's and was still feeling the effects on Monday. Granted...I'm not 20 and in the shape they are but I also don't have to go out there and try to compete against other individuals in the same age range and physical shape (to say nothing of trying to go to class Monday.)

For what its worth I can tell you that several years ago when ISU had to bus to Portland for the women's basketball post season tournament over two days (because they couldn't get airplane tickets at a reasonable rate a few days ahead of time. The host wasn't decided until the last Saturday) and their opponent Montana flew in, with their bus meeting them in Portland (they bussed back after the tournament) some of the players told me there was a major difference in performance. Montana's kids were fresher, jumped to the ball quicker and had more energy.The individuals who told me that were tough kids who never made excuses and I don't think they were doing it at the time. They were simply stating what they considered a fact as athletes who know their bodies and how they perform better than anyone else.

Take it for whatever that may be worth to the discussion.

PBP
PBP,

I just traveled from New Orleans to CA 1860 miles and there little doubt travel takes a lot out of you. However at the end of the day, you have to win game! In the world of competitive sport that all that matters, fair unfair call it what you want, you show up you play you win.

Based on watching and listening to both the PSU and NAU games, ISU could've flown in to the closest airport on executive jets and then been brought to the stadium via helicopter and they still would've gotten the same results. They didn't play the football they needed to play -plain and simple.
At least with the travel issues, Kramer is getting a wide choice of busses under which to throw his minions. :lol:
The ISU football schedule has become a yearly (with one recent sole exception) remake of "Ground Hog Day." Same scheduling pattern of a patsy (hello Simon Fraser), the money games and then a void of home games compounded by the usual road losses, a bye week, and by the time they return to the Holt they are irrelevant - like today. Good luck with that.

That changes somewhat in 2020 when the conference goes to nine games against each other. That means every other year ISU will have six home games. That will help.

PBP

Latest posts

Back