• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Krosch Academically Ineligible to Compete in 2010 Season

Get your crap together student athletes! Another one possibly gone for the year? NO EXCUSES! NONE!

I don't care if we have the 2 and 3's playing. NO EXCUSES!

You are as strong as your weakest player

I am really going to try and not beat a dead horse. Amazingly this article has been pulled from the main site--however you can access it from the link I provided at the beginning of this thread.

I talked to a number of folks when looking into the Galloway thing. I learned some things that I am not comfortable sharing on here. However, I will tell you this...ISU needs to make improvements this area and fast. Academics are a two way street and the kid do share in the responsibility. However, they do have advisers that have not always been accurate on relaying to them what they need to do to stay eligible. Things like number of credits, classes counting toward majors and performance benchmarks toward graduation. ISU had a TON of kids from the spring that had to pass classes to get eligible for the fall. A number of these kids really had no idea that they were in serious trouble until midway through spring ball. Some even came into the program thinking that they were good to go when they were not and they scrambled to get eligible or stay eligible over the summer. Remember, I am not saying that the kids don't have a responsibility.

My guess on Krosch and what do I know anyway? I'd say he does not play this fall and ISU files an appeal with the NCAA and tries to get an exception due to medical issues that kept him from concentrating on academics. It may be a reach, but I am pretty confident they may try. This is a pretty common practice from what I understand. It doesn't always work, but if it does then great.

Who knows, maybe they get him cleared for this season.

Galloway deal from what I understand was that MSU offered a major in Phys Ed the helped Galloway in gaining admissions, plus he would have been eligible out of high school to MSU anyways.

I know that there consternation when Galloway left for MSU. I don't think that was your biggest loss due to eligibility issues. We signed HS recruit Rory Perez Punter that originally committed to idaho state and then same type of story ...and ended up at MSU. I haven't seen him in person but coming out of some national kicking camps Rory was ranked 6th overall and had the best hang times on his punts averaging 4.5 seconds.

I just read the ISJ this morning...holding him out of spring ball to concentrate on academics may have been beneficial--other kids were held out for some of the same reasons...

Holt Arena has been a happy place for the Idaho State football team this preseason camp ... until Tuesday.

That’s when the university announced that wide receiver Kelvin Krosch, who caught six touchdown passes last season and scored more touchdowns than anyone else on the team, will be academically ineligible.

Although ISU head coach John Zamberlin knew Krosch faced ineligibility coming out of spring ball, he kept a lid on it because Krosch’s situation was being considered by the NCAA with ISU seeking a waiver.

Other than announcing that Krosch is ineligible, ISU can’t say anything else about his situation because of the pesky Family Education Rights and Privacy Act.

“Kelvin was ineligible coming out of spring ball,” Zamberlin said in a release on Tuesday. ‘We were notified of his eligibility status in May and since that time he has been working to rectify his situation. We are working on the process of an NCAA waiver, but at this time we are proceeding with the understanding that we will not have Kelvin and if he is able to compete, it will be a bonus.”

Read more: http://www.journalnet.com/sports/local/article_cd820734-b583-11df-883f-001cc4c002e0.html

"Two pairs of eyes are better than one."

There needs to be better oversight within the athletic department when it comes to academics. However, this does not absolve the student from any of his own academic responsibility. For crying out loud, isn't this guy entering his 4th year at college? Every other non-athlete is responsible for his own academic journey. Every student can get academic advising, but ultimately, it's up to the student to successfully complete and pass his classes.

Don't get me wrong, transfers can be a nightmare. Who knows what requirements and classes are available at a community college, and so it's extremely important that the 4-year school has a grasp on how to accomplish the transition. ISU failed in the Galloway case. This proved ISU needs help in this area. By the time a kid has completed 2 years of school, does he really need somebody leading him around by the hand telling him what classes to take and reminding him to actually attend and pass the classes? Sure, there should be oversight, such as the academic officer going over the schedule to make sure the kid is on the right course of action, but that should be merely a "check." When you're talking juniors and seniors, I tend to believe it's 75% the fault of the student, 25% the fault of the athletic department.

bpcats, I never like to see a kid switch committments, especially to another conference school. However, I really like the looks of our kickers, so I'm not sweating too much. The University of Tennessee transfer punter will have some maturity and has a cannon of a leg.

I think Krosch should have been held out in the spring with the rest of them. Who knows--concentration on academics in the spring and summer may have helped during the fall. My question would be this--some were held out and some were not? It isn't like academic problems just show up--you can see it at semester and again at mid-term. Some kids were held out and took care of business. Some were allowed to participate and did not make it. Trust me a fair number of student athletes do just enough to get by and things like this can bite folks in the ass.

MSU has done that also for a few players in the last couple years especially after trying to get our APR up. It benefits the program in the long run and the student athlete.

For sure a problem. It needs to be fixed.

As for Krosch, he dropped the ball. He is probably kicking himself and it should be a huge wake up for other players.

I don't know how it works and I am probably way off base here but If I was ISU I wouldn't help out in any type of tuition or financial aid for him until he got things back to normal. I would take the scholarship away and give it to a player that has passing grades and needs the help.

You see this stuff happens every year and it is part of the football gig. But there needs to be a higher standard set. When players do these kinds of things they not only let there self down but they let the team and community down that supports them. Krosch isn't the first and he won't be the last but there needs to be some type of negative consequence for not performing in the class room.

You are still part of the Bengal family Krosch! Keep your chin up and get back on track. You can do it!

NO EXCUSES! NONE!

This sucks! Why did they not hold Krosch out during spring ball? Was he in trouble the whole semester? Or did THEY just figure out he had problems in MAY! This smells like another Grayson Galloway story. Krosch is too hard of a worker on the field to not be working hard in the class room. I agree with Roar on one thing here, NO EXCUSES, but this means everybody including the academic advisors, athletic director, and coaches who are being paid to help these student athletes through the process. They are being PAID to guide the players. We are never going to know the real truth I have a feeling because now the incompetents are hiding behind "The Family Education Rights and Family Act". Good Luck, Krosch. Work hard to get back.

roar - wouldn't not being able to play this season be some type of negative consequence for not performing in the class room? certainly sounds like it to me...

go big - maye he didn't get his 'spirit pack' :lol: :lol: :lol:

'testicles?' :lol: :lol:

My understanding is that academic eligibility for transferring student-athletes (such as Galloway) can be much more complex than for ongoing student-athletes. I thought ongoing student-athletes need to pass only 6 credits per semester. If so, there is no blaming the coaches or staff on this one. The help that academic advisors are paid to provide can only go so far. At some point you need to go to class and study. Hopefully Krosch will learn his lesson and take responsibility for the gift that is a free college education.

The NCAA has a number of different academic requirements that student-athletes must achieve in order to compete in their given sport. Each student-athlete must pass at least six credits each semester and 18 credits in an academic year (Fall and Spring semesters only). A student-athlete must also meet the percentage toward degree required for their particular year.

A student must have completed 40% of their degree by the start of their 5th full time semester in college, 60% by the start of their 7th semester and 80% by the start of their 9th semester. In addition, all student-athletes must maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher.

Krosch screwed the pooch by not getting it done in the classroom.

However, Krosch was in trouble in the spring and may have benefited from being held out of spring ball to focus on academics. ISU held out other WR's in Tubotein Taylor and Shaq Senegal for being in trouble academically. Both kids are no longer with the team.

Look, all I am saying is this--ISU CAN identify when a kid is at risk. They knew he was at risk, but allowed him to participate in spring practice. If it is close or questionable you hold a kid out in the spring and make them focus on academics. This is coaching 101--the basic shit. When you have known APR issues coming down the line (which ISU knew was coming) it becomes APR 051.

If they hold him out of spring and be proactive--they have done all that they can.

It starts at the top. Tingey is a joke and should be replaced. Looks like another 1 or 2 win season.

Tingey has done a great job in some areas and failed miserably in other areas. Truth is, I don't really know what to think about him yet. If ISU digs out of this APR mess and begins to win, he deserves credit. If things do not improve, he gets the credit there, too.

bhumble, what is your point? It's obvious you have a personal vendetta against Tingey, since you call for his resignation every time someone in the athletic department makes a mistake. The regulars on here are accustomed to you and a few others attributing every misstep within ISU athletics to Tingey and every success to someone else (that is, when any success is recognized; some of you only post if there is something to bitch about). I have no problem with you continuing to beat that drum--it's your prerogative--but don't you think resurrecting a two year old thread about Krosch is a little juvenile? I take this as you trying to say "I told you so," but perhaps you didn't notice where that thread ended ... with BengalCub pointing out the APR mess Zamberlin left and saying that if Tingey gets it turned around he should get some credit. If you've been paying attention, the APR problem is being fixed as quickly as any of us could have hoped.

My point is really simple. Tingey is not qualified for this job. Never has been never will be. The only reason he got the job is because of his dad and that sickens me. To put the entire Bengal program at risk because of nepotism should make everyone angry. Not one university in the country, at any level, would have hired him. I think his record proves my point. I know there are others that support him and that's fine, I'm just not one of them. The football program is on life support and it wouldn't take much for the powers to be to pull the plug and that's sad.

Latest posts

Back