• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Let's Talk Defense - Part 2

Bengals

Since the other thread got just a little off topic I thought I would try a new one. I would like to hear your thoughts on each position group. I will start out with DL, which I hope others who know more join in the conversation. The good news is we return most of the DL. The bad news is last year they were average against the run and not very good at getting pressure on the QB. All aspects of the defense need to improve and it all starts upfront.

Lose -
Peoples - Good player and a big loss for the defense.
Breland - Solid player

Return -
Aloi - Sr., Salutregui - Jr., Williams - Jr., Togiai - Jr., Jackson - Jr., Trevino - Soph., & Heck - Jr.
Are all players who played snaps last year. Solid group, but I do not see a real difference maker especially as a pass rusher.

New -
Kaiava - Jr. - BYU transfer. Hopefully, he makes a big impact right away.

The only Freshmen that might have a chance to help next year is Crane because he has the skill-set to be a good pass rusher, but he has only played one year of football. If he did play I think it would be in pass situations only.

I will refer to the question of the year on defense and some past replies on the DL from the 2017 season so far:

And here's an overriding issue / question...why won't top talent come to ISU? --- PBP

Only 9 sacks last season. That tells the story. No pressure on the QB --- up for the challenge

Maybe, the BYU transfer is the real deal--- up for the challenge.

you can't give the QB 10 s to throw the ball either. Pressure, pressure, pressure---bhumble
--------------------------------------------------
Let's talk on Knuckleheads comment of the week: the other comments are good but this one takes the cake.

we get it - you hate idaho state, its students, staff, athletes and everyone --- seriously... wtf is wrong with you?
Spartan

Spring Ball starting soon! I am going to try and get some more football conversation going.

I think the LB's will be a solid group with good depth this year. Much like the DL I do not see any really big time guys, but 5 or 6 good players. If we can get the DB's up to solid we have a good chance this year with our offense.

Lose - Jenkins - Stud

Return -
Moala - Sr. - Solid
Martin - Sr. I think Martin might be able to help us with pressuring the QB. He had 4 sacks last year and a number of pressures all while missing the last 5 games. If he is back to 100% I think he could be a difference maker.
Graves - Jr. - Solid
Holloway - Sr. - Solid
Trujillo - Soph. - I think he could take that next step this year and be pretty tough
Smith, Manu, Hagler, and Gray are unknowns to me.

New -
Wadsworth - JC player should be in the mix from the start
Jones - Incoming Freshmen from New Jersey is interesting at 6'2 225 has good sized and probably is not a mission kid.
Crane - Incoming Freshmen from Highland was a DE for them, but with his skill set may move to LB.

Like I said this should be a good group and it is always nice to have some depth especially at LB because most of these guys can help on special teams.

Latest posts

Back