• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Lets talk some football...

Bengal Roar

Okay Cub and others, feed us! Lets start this football talk.

I was able to talk to one of the linebackers the other day and it was the first time I met him. I asked him how he liked the new coach. His response" I love em, he is a smart man and he has rings to prove it." I also asked how the chemistry is on the team and he mentioned it finally feels like a team. He also mentioned they finally have deep positions finally and not so thin. Way positive outlook.

The offense needs to score more touchdowns. The defense needs to find away not to give up so many touchdowns. If the Bengals can improve on these two areas the team should be competive in league and could be a contender.

Here is the link to the 2012 Big Sky Conference Prospectus

http://www.bigskyconf.com/documents/2012/4/3/2012Prospectus.pdf?id=219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's talk football...

The major point of emphasis for the Bengals this season has to begin with the offensive line. They need to get a push on running plays and pass protect better. Face it, the Bengals last year were one dimensional. TOTAL YARDS RUSHING for 2012... 309 (average of 28 yards per game or 1.2 yards per carry)! Wow! The O-line just has to step up this year, create a seam and let the running backs do their thing. They have to move the sticks and give the defense a break. The offensive line often takes the criticism for sacks. Well, if I read the stats correctly, last year, the Bengals gave up 66. That's 6 per game and 358 yards in losses.

Let's talk defense for a minute... Do you realize that considering both 3rd and 4th down conversions, the Bengals were only converting on about 31% for first downs while the defense was allowing almost 37%. Sadly, I would guess that overall, the opposition were more successful on converting on first and second down because overall, they had 31 fewer third down attempts than did the Bengals. Trust me, I'm not coming down on the defense. Nope. I am coming down on the offense for not coverting and giving the defense a rest. The time of possession is heavily favored by the opponents. Thus, the defense is out of gas early.

To me, it all begins with the O-line. Several years ago, the Idaho Vandals won 6 or 7 games with a poor defense. The reason, they moved the sticks on offense. Their O-line was the best that they've had for years and since then, their O-line isn't even a shadow of their O-line of two or three years ago. The O-line steps up and pushes, the running backs get their crease and who knows what could happen for the Bengals.

That's my observation. Believe me, I am a positive minded person. But, to me it's clear where the Bengals need to be improve in order to have a successful year. Discussion...

Four things in this order come to mind for me.

Offensive Line (Yost played so well with poor protection)
Defensive Line (ISU needs to generate a pass rush)
Team Speed (can they stretch the field and find a home run hitter)
Snapper (you can lose games here, make no mistake about it)

Here are some of my opinions as a fan viewer.

Offense - The offensive line will be better this season as they have returning starters from last year that know the offensive system and have some new offensive linemen that will be able to compete. The returning receivers will be better as they also know the offensive system and have new receivers that will be able to contribute right away. The quarterbacks will also be better as they know the offensive system and know their receiver routes.

I do not think you can totally blame the offensive line last season for lack of scoring production or lack of pass protection last season for the following reasons:

1) The running game was almost non-existent as Coach Kramer made it known during fall practice that they were going to pass and not run every much.
2) The opposing team defense either blitzed the quarterback with their linebackers or dropped back into pass coverage with their linebackers as they knew the Bengals were going to pass almost every play.
3) Receivers dropped a lot of passes that could have been first downs. They did not gain much yardage after the catch as they were unable to break tackles after the catch to obtain first downs.
4) The quarterbacks could have thrown the ball out of bounce when feeling pressure in the pocket instead of dancing with the stars and taking sacks.

Defense - The defense should be improved this year as they have returning starters along with some new additions. The problem I viewed last season was they were slow getting to the ball, did not tackle the running backs very well in the open field, and did not put pressure on the quarterback during pass plays.

I think you've proved my point about the offensive line being the priority. If there is no run game, then a defense is going pin their ears back and blitz. Any semblance of a run game will keep the defense honest and respect the run threat. The run game starts with the offensive line. The same with pass blocking. The O-line has give the QB time to execute. Whether the QB makes a poor decision by forcing a play or throwing the ball out of bounds depends upon the time provided by the O-line.

One more thing, the most important position on the offense in my view is not the QB, but the center (or snapper on field goals, extra points and punts). He directs the blocking, watches for defense movement and still has to put the ball into play so the QB can execute the play. He does this while having to execute his blocking assignment. The QB gets the glory, the center does the hard work.

One great point that you make is team speed. You can coach technique but you can't coach speed. Whether its quickness at the defensive end & tackle positions, wide receiver or defensive backfield position, speed can negate size if used properly. Take the BSU vs. Georgia game last year. Georgia had a huge weight advantage but BSU's speed and quickness owned the Bulldogs.

Yes, you are correct about the offensive line needing to improve but that holds true for every position on the team. We have plenty of depth this year at every position so it should be competitive in practice. The best players will start unless they are out with injury or displinary action.

Over time good recruiting will take care of the performance on the field, and I think that has turned the corner. What I also think matters greatly is Character and Integrity, and think the team has made great strides to improve in this area!

We'll see marked improvement this year with our team even if just a little!

Go Bengals!

How can 4 players from Southern Utah out of the 14 players from the Big Sky Conference be selected to the Pre-Season FCS All-American team ?

1) Southern Utah had a record of 1 - 3 in the Great Western Conference last season and had an overall record of 6 - 5 last season. In the Big Sky Conference the teams that normally place the highest in league have the most players selected to the Big Sky All Conference team.

2) Southern Utah had more players selected to the Pre-Season FCS All-American team than any other team in the FCS other than Sam Houston University who was a finalist in the FCS Championship game last season.

3) Only 9 players were selected from the Big Sky Conference last season. Montana State had 3 and Montana had 1. Both teams only had 1 defeat in league last year and only had a lost to Sam Houston University in the playoffs.

I serious doubt these 4 players would have been selected if they had played in the Big Sky Conference last season.. Maybe 1 player at the most. Southern Utah quarterback, Brad Sorenson, is the #1 ranked quarterback going into the pre-season in the FCS. That will be a lot of pressure on him coming into the Big Sky Conference this season which is considered the premier league in the FCS.

http://www.suutbirds.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=95830&SPID=11715&DB_OEM_ID=20100&ATCLID=205501010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going back a couple of posts here. No team that I know of, either college or NFL, has had success with just a passing offence. Many lean that way, but you still have to establish the run in order be able to pass the ball. I believe it spells disaster if your oppenent knows that you are going to pass all the time. I hope Kramer will mix it up a little more this season. :nod:

I believe coach Kramer knew he had no running game going into the spring of last season because he really had no returning running backs other than Tavoy Moore. Once Tavoy left the team, the decision was to go with Aaron Prier who actually did a great job considering he was a true freshmen. So, during the spring of last season, coach Kramer decided that he would have to go strickly to a passing game and hope for the best. This year maybe different, as Aaron Prier and Daniel McSurdy showed good skills at running back during the spring games. ISU also recruited a couple of incoming freshmen that are running backs to add to their depth chart. I agree, ISU will need to develop a running game this upcoming season so their passing attack is more effective.

up for the challenge said:
I believe coach Kramer knew he had no running game going into the spring of last season because he really had no returning running backs other than Tavoy Moore. Once Tavoy left the team, the decision was to go with Aaron Prier who actually did a great job considering he was a true freshmen. So, during the spring of last season, coach Kramer decided that he would have to go strickly to a passing game and hope for the best. This year maybe different, as Aaron Prier and Daniel McSurdy showed good skills at running back during the spring games. ISU also recruited a couple of incoming freshmen that are running backs to add to their depth chart. I agree, ISU will need to develop a running game this upcoming season so their passing attack is more effective.
I think you hit it right on.

Regretfully, Kramer knew that he did not have the chemistry, depth and experience up front to run the ball effectively.

Now, before I get peppered with jabs from folks that disagree, consider the fact that Kramer stated this himself. NOW THAT DOES NOT MEAN that the offensive line is not talented at all. What it does mean is that they had kids that were very new to the offensive line that were making the change from other positions. They also had young kids that were forced to play before they were physically ready due to lack of depth up front and the unit was experiencing its 3rd offensive line coach and offensive coordinator in three seasons if I am not mistaken.

Remember, ISU signed seven offensive lineman in the offseason.

The offensive line will be very good in a few years because they are developing young talent and depth.

I agree that the offensive line struggled last year due to some inexperience and depth. Here are some things that happened last season that may have hindered the offensive line performance.

* Bradd Shedd, a senior, had an injury during fall practice that kept him out for the entire year.
* Eliah Ruhl, a junior, reported to fall camp overweight and never played up to the coaches expectations so he was replaced with a freshmen.
* Braeden Clayson, a senior, broke his hand midway through the season so when he returned he had to play with a cast on his hand the entire year.
* John Van Vliet originally a defensive linemen switched to offensive guard.
* Erik Jacobson was moved from tight end to tackle to replace Brad Shedd
* Two true freshmen started most of the year on the offensive line.
* Running back Tavoy Moore was dismissed from the team at the beginning of the season so a true freshmen, Aaron Prier, had to step in at running back.

I believe the offensive linemen will be good this upcoming season and will not have to wait 2 or 3 years to have a descent offensive line. The Bengals will return 4 experienced offensive linemen starters from last season, will have an experienced JC transfer that is expected to contribute right away, some redshirt freshmen that will compete, and will have some incoming freshmen to add to their depth chart. This depth will allow for some good competition during practice which will make players better. I understand that many of the returning offensive linemen stayed at ISU and attended summer school, have been working out in the weight room together, and have been working on their conditioning. That is a positive sign when players decide to stay at ISU during the summer months. This offense may click this year based on the returning players and the new additions.

I didn't mean to get anyone worked up or mean any disrespect. I'm just interpretting last year's stats. I almost fell out of my chair with rushing stats. Thus, my opinion of the O-line last year. I appreciate the info about this year's expected depth and hope you are right about O-line improvement.

On a more positive note, ISU had substantially fewer penalty yards (64 penalties for 555 yards compared to 105 penalties for 981 yards). Those penalties by the opposition resulted in 33 Bengal first downs compared to 14 first downs for the opposition. That tells me there's discipline on both sides of the ball.

I also want to applaud those team members that stayed in town and are working out this summer. That will pay dividends. The more the merrier. This kind of interaction builds team character and chemistry.

Let me say that the new additions to the BSC are no slouches. Especially Southern Utah/N. Dakota. They always have good recruiting. They are tough smash mouth teams.

Latest posts

Back