• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

List of Major disappointments

Eric hollowell

I've never said when I coached or played we should have won the game because had won we should have won. I hate if not for!!! If for the fact I'm 6'0 I would be 6'2 get the point. It is what it is.

1. To many turnovers!!
2. To many third and shorts on D
3. Not enough third and short on O
4. Did not have a lot of counters, they seem to know what we were running.
5. Let a really bad D hold us to 21 points.

Evan Smith and the ring of honor. this guys should have gotten a standing O and yet the crowd was dead!!!!
he was in our hotel, he and his crew were super nice offered me and my wife some beer and chair at their table.

on another note, I think our student section could use some upgrades. Me and the other old heads were sitting with them. first fumble one says let's go!!!!! after we were down the 4th Q it all emptied out!!! way to go kids!!!!!

Eric hollowell said:
I've never said when I coached or played we should have won the game because had won we should have won. I hate if not for!!! If for the fact I'm 6'0 I would be 6'2 get the point. It is what it is.

1. To many turnovers!!
2. To many third and shorts on D
3. Not enough third and short on O
4. Did not have a lot of counters, they seem to know what we were running.
5. Let a really bad D hold us to 21 points.

Evan Smith and the ring of honor. this guys should have gotten a standing O and yet the crowd was dead!!!!
he was in our hotel, he and his crew were super nice offered me and my wife some beer and chair at their table.

on another note, I think our student section could use some upgrades. Me and the other old heads were sitting with them. first fumble one says let's go!!!!! after we were down the 4th Q it all emptied out!!! way to go kids!!!!!

Agreed 100%

As for the student section the "1901" I have seen a couple of students working really hard but are running into a lot of road blocks. The main problem is lack of support from the powers that be. When you have a student section that is not involved it comes from the top down. Any activity that is planned is usually shot down or support pulled if it interferes with any of the old worthless functions that only are attended by the old boosters and a special few. ISU needs to look at the University of Utah "MUSS". That is why the student section was moved a new banner put up and a new emphasis put on getting student participation. ISU needs to start pushing for the young professional, target the freshman and get them involved but that only happens when the administration leads the way. Homecoming tailgate was a prime example all leadership was at a alum function in the ballroom until well after 2:00 they should of been up being visible talking to students fans and all of the prospective students that were visiting. Another example of people in charge not getting it.

As you know Eric, coaches can only prepare their team for an upcoming game and make the necessary adjustments during a game. It really comes down to the players performances during a game that will decide the game.

up for the challenge said:
As you know Eric, coaches can only prepare their team for an upcoming game and make the necessary adjustments during a game. It really comes down to the players performances during a game that will decide the game.

I'm not placing blame, I'm saying what I saw. if you've seen any of my post I always say players play, coach's coach and fans cheer.

tumblr_mt5fxakgHu1s9v5qzo1_400.jpg

Agreed, Eric and Sapper, about the students, atmosphere, and ways of doing things. When I was in Boise, I saw an article in the paper about a fan committee BSU puts together to improve the experience. The key is they have a committee that represents their community - it's just not older season ticket holders. No wonder there aren't any night games at ISU anymore.

The key, Boise State officials and committee members agree, is the committee’s makeup. Members range from longtime season-ticket holders and donors to a student and those who don’t buy season tickets.

Boise State received more than 50 applications and set out to build a diverse committee.

“I like that there seems to be people from different walks of life around the city,” said Mark Nelson, a football season-ticket holder. “Different ages, different affiliations, so we get a lot of different input. We get the student perspective and the business perspective. ... The brainstorming is really good.”

The committee was started by former senior associate athletic director John Cunningham, who left this summer to join former Athletic Director Mark Coyle at Syracuse. They modeled the committee after one at West Virginia.

Some members were recruited; others submitted applications after the athletic department advertised the committee.

The early emphasis has been placed on improving the fan experience at football games but the committee has started to discuss men’s basketball and even some non-revenue sports. The meetings last two hours.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/09/17/3992321_fan-committee-helps-boise-state.html?rh=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After talking to some folks at the game and seeing posts on here, there's no question ISU could do better to build bridges from the now to the future. I remember a story from ESPN on getting more students to games. Some of the findings are similar to here.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10458047/next-generation-ticket-holder-concern-students-show-college-football-games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Georgia did a study and found that nearly 30% of students who requested tickets didn't show up.
Benjamin Wolk, a senior at the school who is a football beat writer for the student newspaper The Red & Black, says one of the reasons for the no-shows is because of a stale game atmosphere that caters to the old money that wants the traditions of decades ago.

"One thing Clemson, Vanderbilt and Auburn all had in common was a crazy stadium atmosphere," Wolk said. "At Georgia? Traditional music and a PA announcer barely yelling 'Let's make some noise 'on third down."

As the business of college football grew, many schools began moving student sections into some of the worst seats in order to make boosters happy in prime seats. But as student crowds at some schools started to fade, athletic department officials at those schools began to understand that if they didn't get the students in the building while they were at school, they might not get their money in the future.

Miami figured out that improving the game experience also helps with image and recruiting.
Perhaps no school understands this more than the University of Miami. Faced with the challenge of playing at a stadium located 20 miles from its campus, the school this year elected to give the students better seats, moving them from behind the endzone to behind the visiting bench. How does that make financial sense when student tickets are free?

"If the seats are filled, our product looks better on television and the coordination effect within the marketplace and PR perception within recruiting will eventually make our game-day product more attractive to consumers," said Chris Freet, the school's senior associate athletic director for communications, marketing and sales.

Freet said the school is working harder than ever before to make coming to games an important part of going to the school.
ISU NEEDS to start pointing the cameras toward the south side, where attendance and activity is better. Same goes for basketball. Point the cameras toward the benches where there is more of a crowd sitting in the bleachers and better activity.

Ah yes, and night games.
In an effort to better pin down reasons for no-shows, the University of Tennessee keeps some of the most detailed data. Percentage of tickets scanned for each game is matched up against weather, kickoff time and which network the game is on. The conclusion? The highest percentage of tickets used in each of the last four seasons came at night games, including a 6 p.m. kickoff against Tennessee-Martin in Sept. 2010, which had only a 7 percent no-show rate, the best over the last four years of home games.

Eric hollowell said:

I'm not placing blame, I'm saying what I saw. if you've seen any of my post I always say players play, coach's coach and fans cheer.
I agree . What I am saying is we our an average to below average team in the Big Sky as of today. It is what it is.

Eric hollowell said:

I agree . What I am saying is we our an average to below average team in the Big Sky as of today. It is what it is.

our record says we are a below average team 2-5. yep it is what it is. yet there is still things to play for. sending the Sr players out with a winning record. playing time for next year and Jobs for the coach's. I don't think there is anytime to drop any heads.

Eric hollowell said:
Eric hollowell said:

our record says we are a below average team 2-5. yep it is what it is. yet there is still things to play for. sending the Sr players out with a winning record. playing time for next year and Jobs for the coach's. I don't think there is anytime to drop any heads.

Yes, there are things to play for like you said. Seniors want to go out with a winning season but the team will need to win the next four games to end their season with a 5 - 3 record in the Big Sky.

I would love to see some more night games. Speaking from my own experiences these days, I don't make very many football games anymore--I work graveyard shifts at my civilian job on the weekends; I'm typically off between 6:30 and 7 in the morning on Saturdays. 2:35pm/3:35pm kickoffs are hard for me to make these days, especially when the other sports are factored in during the weekend. I've long felt that we should make the effort to embrace at least one night game during the season--and make that night game when the other fall sports are on the road so we don't have any competing fan interests.

Some interesting reading, so thanks for the articles. I love to take a jab at Bozo whenever I can, but the fan committee composed of a broad mix is a great idea. I've said it before, but a committee is only as effective as you want it to be. Filling it with dominant personalities which represent your side vs. meek personalities which represent the other is a waste of time. It sounds like they have a handle on it.

It also bears repeating that the atmosphere at a true night game is so different from an afternoon game. The crowd is a little more rowdy, you get more kids, and you get the blue collar worker. isusuperfan is one fan, but if you're missing out on these type of fans because of the afternoon start times, it is certainly worth looking into scheduling a game which begins at 7:00 p.m.

I traveled to the Boise State game AND the UNLV game. Both were night games, and very enjoyable atmosphere EVEN considering the losses. Night games would be fun. BUT, "They" have worked hard to grow Bengal Fest and the tailgate party ability. Would they throw that aside? Or incorporate it to the evening entertainment? What's the thoughts of evening tailgating as it gets into November games when it's cooler, and getting dark earlier? I personally tailgate every home game and have for years. But I guess I still tailgated the evening game at the Boise State game too. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back