• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Looking for Traction

Skippy

Tonight's game matching Idaho State and Utah Valley in Holt Arena matches two teams looking to build off their first D-1 wins of the season earlier this week. The Bengals, who got a rare road win over Portland Thursday night, have not enjoyed a two-game win streak over D-1 opponents since February 2014, when they beat Southern Utah and Weber State back-to-back. The last time they had a win streak longer than two was in 2012, when they won four in a row under interim coach Deane Martin against NAU, UNC, Weber and MSU. So it's been awhile since this program has generated much momentum.

UVU, under first year Coach Mark Pope, is 1-2 against Big Sky teams so far this season, having lost to Montana State and Southern Utah, and beating Weber in double OT, all at home. The Wolves are grinding kind of team. They don't shoot well and depend on high-volume, low efficiency shooters like Konner Frey (16 ppg on 42 percent FG shooting, 26 percent 3 pt shooting) and Jaden Jackson (12 ppg on 35 percent shooting). They will match strength against strength with ISU, with UVU holding opponents to 29 percent three point shooting. The Bengals are second in the Big Sky at 39 percent from three, but ISU is shooting a very pedestrian 41 percent from two.
Should be a good game between two fairly evenly matched teams. Just FYI, KenPom gives ISU a 73 percent chance of winning.

As much as I dislike the pimping of Gary Chivichyan on this board, the kid can play and if ISU gives him more minutes he should be very productive. I believe he can be one of the most prolific freshman scorers in ISU history.

Evans needs to get him 20-25 minutes a game, period.

bengalcub said:
As much as I dislike the pimping of Gary Chivichyan on this board, the kid can play and if ISU gives him more minutes he should be very productive. I believe he can be one of the most prolific freshman scorers in ISU history.

Evans needs to get him 20-25 minutes a game, period.
As well as Gary shot the 3 at Portland, it would be silly that he doesn't see more time. Although coach knows how great of a shooter he is. His lack of playing time is not because of lack of talent. The only lack he had is self control of keeping your attitude in check. He's adjusting and growing up...he's a young kid, and I feel he'll prove to be a great young man and a top scorer.
GO BENGALS!
We will protect our Dome!

A win is a win. Its nice to get one going into the break. It was also nice to see Kyle Ingram have a break out game. We scored a lot of points in the paint tonight, and we rebounded decently. I hope we can get our shooting more stabilized, we need multiple games with 50%+ shooting from the field. Seems like we go in and out of good shooting. We have played long enough together it's time to start having a few standout 3 point shooters each game.
But nontheless...happy with a win.

sacstateman said:
I wonder if cscsbballcoach is going to comment after last nights performance???

Do yourself a favor and worry about yourself. No need to open your mouth, I'm glad I'm still in your mind, means a lot to me, really does, it's holiday season, and your thinking about me? I'm quite flattered, and shocked I haven't received a invitation for dinner at your house.

I haven't seen any comments from you in regards to Isu and the games they have played this season. They got a good win yesterday , probably should have gone 3-0...

But keep commenting about me, I'll troll you to your final post on this board.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

BengalBannMan said:
A win is a win. Its nice to get one going into the break. It was also nice to see Kyle Ingram have a break out game. We scored a lot of points in the paint tonight, and we rebounded decently. I hope we can get our shooting more stabilized, we need multiple games with 50%+ shooting from the field. Seems like we go in and out of good shooting. We have played long enough together it's time to start having a few standout 3 point shooters each game.
But nontheless...happy with a win.

Love the commentary. I can sit, read and appreciate a post that most fan forums should have. But people are very hypocritical at times and sensitive to the truth.So when a Individual or individuals who actually understands the game more then them have constructed critisism to a team, they fall into their protective shells and accuse you of some really funny things!

But your post is refreshing and quite right, and they looked improved in these games, and I expect a win against a struggling csun. I'm not sure if you guys were able to get a stream going or stats line, but a third party MW conference service had the games online, and all I can say is that if they had played like this a few weeks back, games against Denver, Lamar would have been wins.

Kyle played very well yesterday, geno was outstanding all tournament.A player I had criticized before in Ethan Telfair played a great game as a PG Yesterday. If he can play that role more, I expect more wins for ISU. Knowing when he should Assist and when he should look to score balances the teams results on the court.

cscsbballcoach said:
Kyle played very well yesterday, geno was outstanding all tournament.A player I had criticized before in Ethan Telfair played a great game as a PG Yesterday. If he can play that role more, I expect more wins for ISU. Knowing when he should Assist and when he should look to score balances the teams results on the court.
Ethan Telfair DID play better. I agree. I believe he had 13 assists; that's a non selfish point guard. (And I really like his attitude and work ethic)
And as mentioned before by myself and cscsbballcoach, if we can keep playing like yesterday and get some shooting streaks like we're capable of, we will win more games then everyone else expected. Maybe a .500 season in the big sky. And cscsbballcoach, you're correct, we could have been 3-0 in this tournament. (Just needed to finish the first two games)
Let's all keep cheering on the Bengals and let those boys know we care, and keep supporting each other as Bengals in the Den!
Merry Christmas everyone.... and go bengals!

...I forgot to mention and reiterate cscsbballcoachs mention of Geno Luzcando. His driving confidence, and ability to shield himself from the defenders inside has sky rocketed. The last few games it's almost like he's scoring at will at times. Fun to watch!

We gained some traction tonight. IMO. We out rebounded CSUN, we out scored them in the paint, and we had fewer turnovers. Now for the best thing, we shot a not so hot 6-19 from the 3 point line.... and WON!
It was a hard fought win and hopefully will prove as some traction going into the conference games.
It was not a perfect game, but good win.
Its worth mentioning Ali Faruq-bey has 32 points tonight. Great game from Ali.

Latest posts

Back