• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Men’s Soccer to Big West

SDHornet

Staff member
Interesting development. I wonder if any other sports will be moved into the Big West.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The Sacramento State men’s soccer team will join the Big West Conference starting with the 2012 season, the league and Sacramento State athletics director Terry Wanless announced on Tuesday.

"We are very excited to make this move," Wanless said. "The Big West is a strong men's soccer league and allows us to renew rivalries against regional competition."

Sacramento State’s addition to the Big West, which is based in Irvine, Calif., gives the league eight men’s soccer programs and allows it to split into two four-team divisions.

Sacramento State will join UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly in the Northern Division while UC Irvine, UC Riverside, Cal State Northridge and Cal State Fullerton will make up the Southern Division.

Teams will play their division foes both home and away every season while taking on each of the opposite division teams once – two at home and two on the road.

Last season the Hornets went 2-0 against Big West competition, defeating UC Davis, 2-1, and knocking off then No. 10 ranked UC Irvine, 2-0.

The Hornets are currently a member of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation for men’s soccer and will be playing their 20th and last season in the conference this year.
http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/msoccer/release.asp?release_id=9711

EDIT: Here is the BW Release:

http://www.bigwest.org//story.asp?story_id=14910

This is interesting. I wonder if any other sports (i.e. baseball and softball) will follow suit. The travel schedule would definitely ease for both if such happened.

SDHornet said:
Interesting development. I wonder if any other sports will be moved into the Big West.

Oh, I can only hope so! This is a great development. The Big West is a fantastic soccer conference. The prospect of getting to play Poly and UCSB every year is very exciting as well. I don't know if anyone has ever seen a UCSB or Cal Poly soccer game, but their crowds surpass MLS. are nuts and are bigger and rowdier than may MLS crowds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh8rQ4DBFT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVD8dw3L-z4

Very nice news. Now lets get the rest of our sports in the Big West!

That's not going to happen, SJ. Even if we can get sports like hoops, baseball, and softball into the Big West, there will still be sports like football (the Davis/CP deal), crew, and gymnastics that will forever be without a home in the Big West as that league doesn't sponsor those sports. Theoretically, one could see the BWC sponsoring football again in the future as some schools (i.e. Davis, CP, and Sac) currently have it and some who have had football in the past (UOP, LBSU, Foolerton) have at least a portion of the fan base that would like to see it back. There are probably a few schools that could support a BWC gymnastics league (Sac, Davis, Foolerton). But crew in the Big West is a pipe dream at best.

Super Hornet said:
That's not going to happen, SJ. Even if we can get sports like hoops, baseball, and softball into the Big West, there will still be sports like football (the Davis/CP deal), crew, and gymnastics that will forever be without a home in the Big West as that league doesn't sponsor those sports. Theoretically, one could see the BWC sponsoring football again in the future as some schools (i.e. Davis, CP, and Sac) currently have it and some who have had football in the past (UOP, LBSU, Foolerton) have at least a portion of the fan base that would like to see it back. There are probably a few schools that could support a BWC gymnastics league (Sac, Davis, Foolerton). But crew in the Big West is a pipe dream at best.
We currently face those issues in the BSC. Neither the WAC nor BSC sponsors men’s soccer; hence our and many other western men’s soccer programs membership in the MPSF. This move saves a bundle in travel and should also be a boon for attendance and recruiting as well. I doubt other sports would be admitted into the BW but who knows.

I know, SD. I was just objecting to SJ's "rest of" language. We're in the same boat here, but assuming that the Big West is a panacea is false thinking.

BW will never add football again.

Women's Crew is used to counter balance football and it can have upwards of like 36 schollies. Dont think any BW school would add crew unless they needed to comply with Title IX and add football.

Interesting development.

Green Cookie Monster said:
BW will never add football again.

There's a good argument for that. A significant chunk of the fan base would like to see it, but that chunk is probably not significant enough to make much headway, at least for the next decade or so.

Women's Crew is used to counter balance football and it can have upwards of like 36 schollies. Dont think any BW school would add crew unless they needed to comply with Title IX and add football.

That's probably true, but it begs the availability of a river or a bay. UOP has the Calaveras, but I don't think it's big enough at the point it intersects Stockton. I'm not sure that the Port of Stockton is big enough, either. Traveling to Natomas to share facilities with the Hornets would be like the Clippers playing second banana to the Lakers: not going to happen. And I'm not sure any SoCal BWC schools have places where facilities would be feasible, either.

Super Hornet said:

It wasn’t meant to be a literal statement. I’m very aware the Big West doesn’t sponsor all the sports we field. I was simply referring to the ones we do. Having the bulk of our sports in the Big Sky makes travel a nightmare, and creates very little interest in Hornet athletics as very few people here care about Big Sky institutions. The Big West is a much better fit. As for Big West football, I highly doubt it will return anytime soon. I suppose if LB State and Fullerton re-instated their programs, it could encourage other schools to field football programs, but by then Sac State, Poly and those other guys down the road will be in the WAC (don’t take this literally either).

With Sac State winning the Big Sky all-around championship, I wonder if the Big West is looking at us with a little more seriousness. If they can get SJSU to join, we’d make a fine travel partner! (Well, for Davis. I’m sure Pacific or Poly would be the Spartans’ travel partner.) Still probably a pipe dream, but it would be nice.

You could be right about the way BWC is looking at Sac, SJ. The fan rumor mill has been looking at Bako and UCSD for quite some time, but nobody's happy with those ideas, especially given the overall performance shown by Riverside at the D-I level. While many (fans, anyway) still see Sac as a dumb choice, the "true" decision makers are probably noting what Sac has done overall (BSC All-Sports Trophy and good softball seasons against WCC schools), which should raise Sac's stock in their eyes.

The sticking point will probably be Doug Fullerton. When he gave the sweetheart deal to UCFE and CP, he probably wasn't counting on extending that to Sac.

Super Hornet said:
You could be right about the way BWC is looking at Sac, SJ. The fan rumor mill has been looking at Bako and UCSD for quite some time, but nobody's happy with those ideas, especially given the overall performance shown by Riverside at the D-I level. While many (fans, anyway) still see Sac as a dumb choice, the "true" decision makers are probably noting what Sac has done overall (BSC All-Sports Trophy and good softball seasons against WCC schools), which should raise Sac's stock in their eyes.

The sticking point will probably be Doug Fullerton. When he gave the sweetheart deal to UCFE and CP, he probably wasn't counting on extending that to Sac.

I think the best thing the All-Sports Trophy does for Sac is it shows the department is devoted to achieving athletic success. Having multiple championships in several sports proves that Sac State isn't just focused on football, and is willing to give attention to its other programs. For the Big West, this has to be an important sticking point. The conference isn't a football conference, so they need to be assured Sac doesn't want to simply stick its other sports in the conference to simply save on travel. And while our basketball and baseball programs are far from being considered good, the fact we have succeeded in other arenas shows we have the capability of achieving and becoming on-par with other Big West competition.

Our admission as full members of the Big West is easy to justify and put together on a message board, but there are so many factors that have yet to be played out that our future really relies on. I unfortunately don't have inside information, so I can only speculate. WAC expansion is in desperation mode and has its eyes on several Big Sky and Big West schools, and until the dust settles, we won't know where we stand. Heck, we're one of the WAC targets (we won't, but we're still talked about a lot). My preference has never been a secret and remains for Sac to be in the Big Sky as a football-only member and having the bulk of our other sports in the Big West like Poly and Davis. My second preference is for Sac, Poly, SJSU and Davis to be in the WAC as football-only members and our other sports in the Big West. I think we need to be aware of what the other California FCS schools are doing and adjust accordingly. Anyway, way off topic. Still super thrilled to have soccer in the Big West!

UCFE seems to be gaining momentum and my prediction is that they will join the WAC along with CP. Meanwhile, we are still stuck in neutral and conceding the Sacramento market to UCFE.

Whatever happened to Sac State and the Mt. Lions refurbishing Hornet stadium?

I know the budget has taken its toll, but there are still millionaires being made and UCFE and CP seem to be doing just fine (recent $2M gift to UCFE).

I think Gonzo and Wanless are just here waiting for retirement. Neither is willing to do what is necessary to solicit big donations, enhance athletic facilities or move us into more exposure. (no systemic campaign sponsored by the school to solicit donations for a new arena). If we have 190K alumni why arent they being tapped to donate?

CP and them have an ideal setup when their football programs join the BSC next season and everything else remaining in the BW. (This is also what Sac State should be pushing for.) I don’t see why they would make any moves to join an unstable and irrelevant conference such as the WAC. Their TV deal was slapped down to a pittance of what the big boys make and they will lose a lot of their bowl tie ins. It would take a group of western schools to join the WAC at once to make the WAC appealing to any CA FCS schools. Given the state of the CA budget, I don’t see either/any school making a move in the next handful of years. :twocents:

SD, I hope you're right. Unfortunately, I tend to agree with GCM. I have this awful feeling Poly and Davis, pardon me, UCFE, may take the WAC's newest offer leaving us out in the cold. I hope they both see their current situation as ideal and have no reason to move, but if they do leave I think we are screwed. I really hope Wanless is in contact with the other two ADs, and is making decisions that will keep the three together (and gets us into the BW full-time ;) )

Good question, GCM.

Several years ago, when the Whiners left Sierra College in Rocklin to host training camp at UOP, they built a completely new building to house the UOP athletic department, including a private weight and athletic training facility plus office space. And they were only there a couple of years before moving again to the Bay Area.

If Sac is going to allow a so-called professional team to use the facilities for essentially nothing, the least they can do is build Sac some good facilities. Sac football already has a great fieldhouse now, so the logical thing would be a decent stadium. What gives?

Super Hornet said:

Good question, GCM.

Several years ago, when the Whiners left Sierra College in Rocklin to host training camp at UOP, they built a completely new building to house the UOP athletic department, including a private weight and athletic training facility plus office space. And they were only there a couple of years before moving again to the Bay Area.

If Sac is going to allow a so-called professional team to use the facilities for essentially nothing, the least they can do is build Sac some good facilities. Sac football already has a great fieldhouse now, so the logical thing would be a decent stadium. What gives?

Probably waiting to see if the league lasts more than a few seasons.

SJHornet said:
Super Hornet said:

Good question, GCM.

Probably waiting to see if the league lasts more than a few seasons.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back