• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Mens Hoops

gobengalsgo

Coach O'Brien mention during the post game interview that he saw too much one on one offensively and not enough assists.

I would say that they run "Basic" 50 to 60 percent of the time. Ball goes to the wing, then you have two cutters if you wanna call it that. If ball doesn't go to one of the two cutters then there is either a hand off to the big at the high post or the guard dribbles off the big coming around the elbow. I am not big on this set at all. For one the two cutters never get looked at. Everything you do has to serve a purpose.. cutting, passing, dribbling setting a screen etc. So the ball never goes into one of the two guys making a cut through the paint. Its like a high school offense. Everyone has a spot and they need to get there... you just have to fill the four spots and the big at the high post.

So the reason we have to go one on one all the time is because the offensive set is weak.... so we swing the ball around a couple of times which ball movement is good but the only time we attack the rim is on the dribble hand off with the big. Or the big will open and then fall down to the block to post up which Dave did a few times tonight and did a good job. When i think of basic I think its more of a drill than an offense. It serves no purpose so guys like Amorrow and Donnie have to create their own shots. That's why there is very little opportunities for assists.

Use our athleticism. The guys are playing with their hands tied behind their back. We have really good players on this team. I know there are other sets they run like the box set again you have a cutter run from the block to the top of the key. Get more stuff going to the basket. Having your big 15 feet from the hole on basic I just don't get. Use Brod's quickness and allow him to create for guys. Amorrow and Donnie penetrating to the hole. If Brod breaks his man down and beats him to the basket then the big has to help or its a lay up or dunk for Dave or Chron or Rolando. Basic is easy to guard. The only times we scored is when someone goes one on one.

Defense looked better tonight. You guys are fun to watch looking forward to the next game.

Just a thought...we've only played two exhibition games. Coach already said he's adding new offensive sets and plays in all the time, but right now they're still running basic stuff, and I really didn't expect to see any more than basic sets for these two games...nothing a scout would necessarily be able to use to report to Iowa State, Bradley or BYU (you think the Cougs didn't have somebody at our first two games?). That's also why these two games weren't on Big Sky TV...Coach O'Brien didn't want our opponents to get any more help than necessary...even though we weren't going to run anything fancy. With the counters beginning Friday, I think we'll see more and more variety with each passing game. Just my opinion...

Given that live scouting is against NCAA rules, I would hope that BYU wasn't there at our exhibition games. Usually exhibition games come with a contract that no film is exchanged from the game so I doubt that UCCS or Rocky Mountain will exchange the tape. As far as the offense goes, we will be fine. I pay very little attention to exhibition games. Gilchrest makes us so much better that I'm very excited about this season.

baller1 said:
Given that live scouting is against NCAA rules, I would hope that BYU wasn't there at our exhibition games. Usually exhibition games come with a contract that no film is exchanged from the game so I doubt that UCCS or Rocky Mountain will exchange the tape. As far as the offense goes, we will be fine. I pay very little attention to exhibition games. Gilchrest makes us so much better that I'm very excited about this season.

Your point is an excellent one baller...I'm sorry if I insinuated that a program would actually send an "official" team representative to check out an opponent...however, word does "have a way" of getting from one point to another. I wholly agree with assessment of the addition of Giulchrest to the lineup...he brings a facet to the team we haven't seen for a LONG, LONG time. Marquis Poole never impressed me the way BC has already...

I already gave votb a hard time last night about this. Let me say this. I am a huge Gilchrest fan. He makes us better in so many ways. But to say he's more impressive than Poole? No way. As a senior Marquis was the best player in the league hands down. Other teams completely game-planned for him. He was one of 2 players in D-1 to lead their league in scoring and in assists.

Gilchrest is very good, but let's get through more than a couple exhibition games before we put him close to the Poole category.

Latest posts

Back