• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Miami+One Tough Draw

Skippy

Well, the selection committee didn't do the Bengals any favors. Miami was rated the No.7 team in the country and was the No. 2 seed in the ACC, before they were upset by Wake Forest in the first round of the tournament. They feature two first-team all-ACC players in Shenise Johnson, a 5-11 guard who averaged almost 17 points and 8 rebounds a game, and Riquna Williams, a 5-7 guard who scored 16.5 points a game. Perhaps more impressive, those two guards combined for 174 steals -- that's almost six steals a game between them.

Morgan Stroman, a 6-1 F, is their best post player averaging 13 points and 6 rebounds a game, and Stefanie Yderstrom, a 5-8 guard from Sweden, averages 11 points a game. If you look at Miami's team statistics, they are truly impressive: plus 19 scoring margin, plus 5 rebound margin, plus 6.6 turnover margin and they average 13 steals a game.

Miami finished 25-5, they were 14-2 in the ACC, and 16-0 at home. It will take a supreme effort for the Bengals to keep this one competitive.

Skippy said:
Well, the selection committee didn't do the Bengals any favors. Miami was rated the No.7 team in the country and was the No. 2 seed in the ACC, before they were upset by Wake Forest in the first round of the tournament. They feature two first-team all-ACC players in Shenise Johnson, a 5-11 guard who averaged almost 17 points and 8 rebounds a game, and Riquna Williams, a 5-7 guard who scored 16.5 points a game. Perhaps more impressive, those two guards combined for 174 steals -- that's almost six steals a game between them.

Morgan Stroman, a 6-1 F, is their best post player averaging 13 points and 6 rebounds a game, and Stefanie Yderstrom, a 5-8 guard from Sweden, averages 11 points a game. If you look at Miami's team statistics, they are truly impressive: plus 19 scoring margin, plus 5 rebound margin, plus 6.6 turnover margin and they average 13 steals a game.

Miami finished 25-5, they were 14-2 in the ACC, and 16-0 at home. It will take a supreme effort for the Bengals to keep this one competitive.

Just wanted to stop by and give/get info on Sat. game. A couple things about the Lady CANES....Stroman is out for the year with a torn acl. She was the heart & soul of the team. Pretty accurate breakdown above. We rely alot on SJ & RW. SJ might be one of the most vers. players in the country she can do it all. RW is a scorer & when she gets hot look out. SY has picked up some of the scoring slack from MS. We have a 6'.6" foward/center named Pepper Wilson(pitt transfer). She does a good job clogging the lane. She hasn't lived up to her scoring potential this year though. We have a deep bench that has seen alot of action this year. Miami is not a team you want to fall behind to as things can get out of hand quickly. Most of our losses this year have come when the game is close & SJ or RW don't rely on teemates or each other & try to take the game over(see th WF tourney game). It cost us a #2 seed. We like a up tempo game & play a somewhat pressure D. Would love to here the good & the bad about your Ladies BB team. Here is to a injury free game. Thanks, BC

The Bengals' strengths this year have been a very tough defense and rebounding. We led the Big Sky in fewest points allowed, FG defense and rebounding margin. Our offense is very sporadic -- we've been able to win a lot of games where we shoot 30 percent or so. But we are balanced -- we have four women who average in double figures and our fifth starter, center Cydney Horton, is near double figures.

We won't wow you with athleticism or size -- our starting lineup is Kaela Oakes, a 5-4 PG; Chelsea Pickering and Lindsey Reed, two 5-9 wing players, Ashleigh Vella and Cydney Horton, both about 6-0 post players. Everybody but Horton will shoot the three. We play a motion offense, and nothing but man defense.

Our bench is pretty short -- 5-8 Cara Jenkins is an "energy player" who can step in at most any position, Jessa Jeppeson is a 6-0 post player who has done a nice job rebounding off the bench, and Blaire Brady is a 5-8 true freshman PG who has been getting a few minutes each game to give Oakes a rest.

If the Bengals are going to stay in this game, it will be with tough defense, effort plays and a hot hand from a player or two from three.

Johnson is also only the 3rd player in NCAA women's basketball history with over 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 500 assists.

PBP

The eighth-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball team, which entered the year with great expectations, suffered its second – and by far its most damaging — personnel-related loss of the season Friday.

One day before the Hurricanes play their NCAA Tournament opener against Idaho State at Spokane, Wash., Miami coach Katie Meier announced that star guard Riquna Williams did not make the trip due to conduct detrimental to the team.

Williams, a senior who averages 16.6 points, is projected as a first-round WNBA pick this year — although it’s unknown if her draft stock will suffer due to her suspension.

Read more: Miami Herald: Miami Hurricanes' Riquna Williams Won't Play in Saturday's NCAA Opener

Wow. Well given all the craziness in the men's tournamemnt and this develop$memt the Bengal mighjt as weLl just go out and win today!

Miami is already talking about playing Gonzaga. Watch the YouTube clip.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031612aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESPN and ESPN2 currently have gone blank in Pocatello (on Cableone) and the ISU website is down. Hmmm, plus there is no pregame show on KISU (on the radio) at the game starts in 11 minutes?

Update: ESPN2 has reappeared in Pocatello! The game is also on ESPN3 online http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (game now seems to tip off at 4:45 pm Idaho time).

spudbowl said:
ESPN and ESPN2 currently have gone blank in Pocatello (on Cableone) and the ISU website is down. Hmmm, plus there is no pregame show on KISU (on the radio) at the game starts in 11 minutes?

Update: ESPN2 has reappeared in Pocatello! The game is also on ESPN3 online http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (game now seems to tip off at 4:45 pm Idaho time).

Because the game today started later than officially scheduled, the pregame show was delayed. We had a full pregame show...it just started later than originally scheduled. We were at the mercy of the real-time schedule in the arena. I also had to go out of town today for family stuff...so I set my DVR to record the game...only when I got home tonight I find out all I got was the other games...and not even a whiff of ISU. :evil:

votb said:
spudbowl said:

Because the game today started later than officially scheduled, the pregame show was delayed. We had a full pregame show...it just started later than originally scheduled. We were at the mercy of the real-time schedule in the arena. I also had to go out of town today for family stuff...so I set my DVR to record the game...only when I got home tonight I find out all I got was the other games...and not even a whiff of ISU. :evil:

VOTB
Thanks, yes, KISU had its typical great pre-game and coverage. Thanks to KISU and Mark Liptak for such great work. The coverage given the Bengals women's team on KISU is really good, always excellent pre and post game, great game coverage, etc. It was just frustrating at one point because ESPN2 disappeared on Cableone for 15 minutes, the ISU website was down so I could not listen to KISU online, etc. Then the game time moved to about 30 minutes later. I did figure out that one can watch ESPN3 for free online and I had not known that before.

Spud:

Thank you for the kind words.

It was one sensational season for the players and coaching staff. One to be remembered for a very long time by them as well as their fans.

It was a pleasure to be a part of it.

PBP

Latest posts

Back