• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Mountain West Conference

BroadwayVik

images
footer_portland.gif

Buoyed by the announcement of the new basketball pavillion, I reiterate that the MWC is where the Vikings belong. This is the conference where PSU peers can be engaged and with whom PSU can be competitive and grow healthily. Barring coastal affiliation, a wide open West is the next best thing.

Boise State and San Diego State left the conference to better their fortunes in the Big East. The MWC barred them from housing all-other-sports-than-football and so they have sought secondary affiliation elsewhere – SDSU gained membership in the Big West, Boise in the WAC (though they'd prefer the Big West).

Utah State and San Jose State were invited in to fill the gap, raising membership back to ten. Mike Price at UTEP has announced his team's intention to join the conference as well. Tulsa is also looking to join to fill in the twelfth slot.

If Portland State goes out and wins the FCS this year, they could challenge Tulsa for that last slot. The MWC has a longstanding tradition that they prefer larger cities to smaller ones. It is quite apparent that both Idaho and New Mexico State were rejected for membership on this basis.

Tulsa is adequate but Portland is the superior candidate to Tulsa in two ways: (1) in terms of population: The metro area is more than twice Tulsa's size, and (2) the Mountain West would frankly much prefer a member of the mountainous West than one out on the prairie of Eastern Oklahoma. Quality of play is in Tulsa's favor right now.

The MWC may add Tulsa out of sheer convenience but may also have their eye on the quickly developing Vikings at Portland State. If the Viks become as vital as Tulsa, they could seriously challenge Tulsa for that last spot. Right now, I think the Viks could give Tulsa a very good game. To me, MWC affiliation feels soothing and cool to the touch, doable and worth the challenge:

San Jose State – Portland State
UNLV – Nevada
Fresno State – Hawai'i

Utah State – Air Force
Colorado State – Wyoming
New Mexico - UTEP

I think we get one shot at this: Beat Tulsa.

Latest posts

Back