• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

My bad---on Huk!

bengalcub

Looks like I blew ass by ripping the late kicker signing earlier. I stand corrected--he sounds like a stud.

From ISJ Blog:

The new faces of ISU special teams

August 13th, 2008 in Uncategorized

By Dan Thompson

A good slightly overcast evening to you all.

I apologize for the lack of blog entries the last two days. High school football season started with practices Monday, so I was journeying across southeast Idaho visiting camps that day.

But I’ll have a story about the unproven special teams players for Thursday, and I’m here to pass on some other details that didn’t fit into the story.

At Wednesday afternoon practice, junior kicker Mike Ramos was in a yellow jersey but wasn’t kicking yet. He sliced up the top of his foot at precisely the point of contract on a kick — he caught it on a nail while floating the river in Lava Hot Springs — but he expects to be back soon, perhaps within a week.

In the meantime, Jarrett Huk just keeps hitting field goals. Wednesday I saw him nail another 50-yarder, and I was told he’d hit almost everything he’d kicked so far in practice. He looked great in Sunday’s scrimmage, and he’s really putting pressure on Ramos whenever he’s able to return.

I also found this story written about Huk in April, which details his time at Chabot (Calif.) College. A worthwhile read.

As for the other new face on special teams, Chris Kirkegaard, well, he struck me as an intelligent, interesting guy. This tidbit wouldn’t flow at all into my story, but Kirkegaard told me that his family blood line — of Danish descent — is one of just two Kirkegaard strains in the entire country. I don’t have a good way of verifying that, but on this one, I think I can trust Chris. He did not know if he was a relative of Søren Kirkegaard, the Danish philosopher.

He also utilizes a practice drill I’d never seen or heard of that involves a trash can and two footballs. Kirkegaard flips the can upside down and places a football on top of it. He then walks about 15 yards away, snaps another football and tries to hit the one on top of the garbage can. He told me he can hit it four out of every five times. Considering how slim the margin of error is, that’s darn impressive.

This is a bit of a short post, but I’m afraid I haven’t much else to report from practice right now. I did see JD Ponciano on the field Wednesday, wearing a jersey. He’s not in pads yet and I doubt will be for another couple weeks.

I’m going to be taking a brief hiatus back to the Midwest starting Thursday and ending Monday night, so my cohorts here at the Journal will be keeping tabs on the Bengals through the weekend. I will, however, have a story about senior running back Kenyon Blue in Saturday’s paper. It sounds like Blue finally feels settled into his role with the Bengals.

Enjoy your weekends, everyone, and I’ll catch up with you all when I return.

Cheers,
Dan

Cub, I logged in to lay it down on you about my response to your earlier post on Huk. (that should be Mr. Huk from you from now on. lol)
Sounds like he is continuing to boom with accuracy.
He is a nice kid to boot.

Latest posts

Back