• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

New FCS Polls 10-27-14

votb said:
Idaho State still has a ways to go to make the Top-25, but more votes this week than last in The Sports Network Top 25...

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/sports-network

The Coaches Poll will be out later today.

GO BENGALS!

True to my word, I voted for the Bengals this week, but I have to say, it was tough. There are probably 6 or 7 teams in the Big Sky alone who merit consideration, and after they beat EWU, I had to put NAU in the top 25 as well. But it's great to see ISU getting recognition, both through the POW awards and in the poll voting. Gotta keep that momentum going against PSU this weekend. BTW, I saw a very interesting article about the struggles at PSU, I'll post it separately so as not to hijack this thread. Go Bengals!

I think the Bengals actually lost a vote in the Coach's Poll...

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

Brad... I understand about the NAU win over Eastern, but it was in Flagstaff against the second-string QB, whom they had a couple of games to scout. We only lost AT Eastern by 3 with Adams playing. Also, NAU LOST at Northern Colorado. You know me...I'm such a homer!

:dance:

With a third of the season remaining, Northern Iowa is still there with a .500 record! :?

Will Justin Arias and Xavier Finney show up on the Payton Award lists before season's end?

Does ISU have a chance to break into the TOP 25 ??

First, Montana State will be on the road against Cal Poly. I have to give the advantage to Cal Poly going into this game even though they will be considered underdogs. If Cal Poly wins against Montana State than Cal Poly may jump into the top 25.

Second, ISU may have the advantage going into Portland State as they have learned to win on the road and are playing with confidence. It is unlikely that the Vikings can stop the Bengal offense. An ISU win will obtain more votes.

Third, If ISU wins against Cal Poly at Holt Arena is it possible that ISU could climb into the TOP 25 in the FCS ? I guess it depends on the other teams currently in the TOP 25 and if they continue to win during the next two weeks.

Lastly, I have to think Northern Arizona will eventually climb into the TOP 25 in the FCS if they continue to win and it does appear that they have the best schedule for their last four games in the BSC. NAU may have a chance to win the Big Sky Championship if Montana State or Eastern Washington loses a game and NAU wins their next four games.

sasquatch said:
With a third of the season remaining, Northern Iowa is still there with a .500 record! :?

Will Justin Arias and Xavier Finney show up on the Payton Award lists before season's end?
Northern Iowa is a team that is living off its history and a tough schedule. As I noted last week, two of their losses are to FBS teams. Frankly I think Montana is way over-rated and living off its past, too. But those thinks will all shake out as the season progresses. And yes I think one, if not both Finney and Arias will get added to the Payton watch list as the season continues, unless their production falls off noticeably.

Skippy said:
sasquatch said:

Northern Iowa is a team that is living off its history and a tough schedule. As I noted last week, two of their losses are to FBS teams. Frankly I think Montana is way over-rated and living off its past, too. But those thinks will all shake out as the season progresses. And yes I think one, if not both Finney and Arias will get added to the Payton watch list as the season continues, unless their production falls off noticeably.

Skippy, I agree. Yet, I'm surprised UNI played 2 FBS.

ISU will have an uphill battle for a playoff spot and may need to go 7-1 in the BSC to get consideration. Ultimately, ISU's reputation will win out. I was around in 2003 and especially 2002 when ISU shared the BSC title and was left home.

I agree Bio, I think ISU has to win out to make the playoffs. Their schedule, with two DII wins, would make it very difficult to get in with an 8-4 record.

Seven D1 wins are required for an at-large bid. With two wins against DII schools, ISU has to win out to get seven.
8-4 only gets ISU in if they're the outright conference champ.

I assume the reason two D-II schools are on the schedule is to balance out the fact that there are two FCS schools on it.

PBP

votb said:
I think the Bengals actually lost a vote in the Coach's Poll...

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

Brad... I understand about the NAU win over Eastern, but it was in Flagstaff against the second-string QB, whom they had a couple of games to scout. We only lost AT Eastern by 3 with Adams playing. Also, NAU LOST at Northern Colorado. You know me...I'm such a homer!

:dance:
True VOTB. I believe E.Washington will lose 1 or 2 more without their stud QB.

Skippy, I agree that Northern Iowa and Montana are being ranked because of their history. That's one of the problems that I alluded to when I mentioned the illegitimacy of the FCS poll. There are not .500 or sub .500 teams in the FBS polls after the 6th, 7th, 8th week. I know UNI lost to two FBS teams, but that's their scheduling choice. UNI also beat Northern Colorado for homecoming by a similar margin ISU did. I'm glad to see you as a voter and am encouraged because you do know your stuff!

bio, I remember all too well the 2002 and 2003 snubs. In 2002, Northwestern State got an at-large. As I remember, they weren't ranked as high as ISU, and then it turned out their AD was on the selection committee. In 2003, Western Kentucky received an at-large ONLY because they had won the national championship the year before. The frustrating part of that was Western Kentucky only had 6 division I wins in 2003. I believe the beatdown ISU received from Boise that year via Dan "Gandhi wouldn't take a knee" Hawkins hurt them more in the end.

sasquatch said:
Skippy, I agree that Northern Iowa and Montana are being ranked because of their history. That's one of the problems that I alluded to when I mentioned the illegitimacy of the FCS poll. There are not .500 or sub .500 teams in the FBS polls after the 6th, 7th, 8th week. I know UNI lost to two FBS teams, but that's their scheduling choice. UNI also beat Northern Colorado for homecoming by a similar margin ISU did. I'm glad to see you as a voter and am encouraged because you do know your stuff!

bio, I remember all too well the 2002 and 2003 snubs. In 2002, Northwestern State got an at-large. As I remember, they weren't ranked as high as ISU, and then it turned out their AD was on the selection committee. In 2003, Western Kentucky received an at-large ONLY because they had won the national championship the year before. The frustrating part of that was Western Kentucky only had 6 division I wins in 2003. I believe the beatdown ISU received from Boise that year via Dan "Gandhi wouldn't take a knee" Hawkins hurt them more in the end.

Polls are just a compilation of opinions. The playoff selection committee will look at both the coaches and sports network polls as advisory information, but in the end they'll make their own decision. Which will also be a compilation of opinions. Idaho State will make the playoffs if they win out, I don't think there's any question about that. And I doubt very seriously if they make it if they don't. There seems to be some dispute about whether 7 D-1 wins are "required," or just desired. Montana was hoping to get in a couple of years ago with just 6 D-1 wins, although they were denied. But anyway you slice it, I don't think ISU gets in with an 8-4 record and two D-II wins. Just win, baby!

Latest posts

Back