• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

New temp A.D. and national search-what will it mean?

Skipper

So with Pauline in as interm a.d. and a new one on the horizon, what will it mean for the men's basketball team? Will Coach Evans' contract be extended? New facalities?

Skipper said:
So with Pauline in as interm a.d. and a new one on the horizon, what will it mean for the men's basketball team? Will Coach Evans' contract be extended? New facalities?

Unless they can come up with a lot of money from somewhere new facilities for basketball probably aren't on the immediate horizon.

Bill's contract will depend a lot I think on how they do this year but also remember new A.D.'s usually like to hire their own people, people loyal to them, not someone else's hire.

PBP

Gonna be really tough to get an extension in my opinion. Satterlee already showed he wants his own people in place, so much so that he’s gonna pay Tingey for a year to sit at home. The key is gonna be when a new AD is hired. Evans contract will basically be up in March. Will a new AD be in place by then? If not, does Satterlee let Thiros make such a huge decision to renew or to hire a new basketball coach? A lot of uncertainty.

If Coach Evans is not rehired will players that have the opportunity to transfer leave. That’s the issue the AD is going to have to deal with, none of those players are going to want to be part of a rebuilding year as seniors.

And it may not be just men's basketball under the microscope by the new A.D. there could very well be some other sports / coaches being looked at hard by him / her.

PBP

PBP said:
And it may not be just men's basketball under the microscope by the new A.D. there could very well be some other sports / coaches being looked at hard by him / her.

PBP
This may be true, but let’s be honest. Very few people care about sports other than football and men’s basketball. Seton has been great but who really cares? Has it resulted in a lot of extra revenue for the athletic department? Nope. Has it resulted in increased enrollment at ISU? Absolutely not. Football and men’s basketball are the only ones that have the ability to “move the needle” as far as the athletic department/school are concerned. The new president and AD have to figure out a way to make us relevant in those sports. If they don’t, firing Tingey probably wasn’t worth it.

if you are under the impression that any sport at ISU makes money - you are sadly misinformed

firing tingey was worth it in more ways than i can count

jmho

This may be true, but let’s be honest. Very few people care about sports other than football and men’s basketball. Seton has been great but who really cares? Has it resulted in a lot of extra revenue for the athletic department? Nope. Has it resulted in increased enrollment at ISU? Absolutely not. Football and men’s basketball are the only ones that have the ability to “move the needle” as far as the athletic department/school are concerned. The new president and AD have to figure out a way to make us relevant in those sports. If they don’t, firing Tingey probably wasn’t worth it. [/quote]

That's an interesting point. Also an unfortunate one. Because of the circumstances surrounding ISU football and men's basketball, which has been pointed out in detail by those who have been around longer then me, it may not be possible to significantly "move the needle" forward. A lot of good people have tried without much success in doing so.

Yes football and men's basketball as I've said in the past, should be the "bell cows" of an athletic program, the reality at least right now, is in ISU's case is they are not.

Maybe fans should start getting interested in programs like Seton's who actually win games, until the circumstances with the other sports change. (Although it should be noted that ISU draws very well compared to most of the teams in the Big Sky but getting more fans involved never hurts.)

Also just having one or two sports good and the rest really poor does not help the overall look of an athletic department. ideally you want all your teams, all your athletes to at least have some success.

And at least as a bottom line, you see a program that actually seems to be able to win a lot of games and is competitive. It's a win/win situation to me.

PBP

Hank42 said:
If Coach Evans is not rehired will players that have the opportunity to transfer leave. That’s the issue the AD is going to have to deal with, none of those players are going to want to be part of a rebuilding year as seniors.

Rebuild what? They've had 2 straight losing seasons. If they have a good, and winning, season this year, I think it's much ado about nothing. Even if Bill is signed again, there is absolutely NOTHING keeping these guys here for their 4th year. Welcome to the 21st century, where athletes are loyal to themselves, and not to the school or coach. Novak proved that. Keeping a coach because players might - MIGHT - leave for their 4th and final year is silly. If players graduate early, I guarantee they'll keep an eye looking on possible opportunities.

Football, and men's basketball to a lesser extent, may drive the bus. But every sport needs to do well. It creates a buzz around campus and the community. Sadly, I believe Jeff didn't get this concept, which is why we have seen a big drop off in the performance of women's sports (women's basketball excluded). Folks in Flagstaff are pretty damn proud of their national champ cross country team. They get a lot of exposure down there. Does it boost enrollment? Probably not, but it's good publicity. Does the recent grant which ISU's Museum of Natural History received generate increased enrollment? Probably not, but it's good publicity and offers good exposure to the region at hand. NAU volleyball beat Florida, the 8th ranked team in the nation, in Flagstaff on Friday. I have to tell you, I'd love to see that kind of crowd in Poky for volleyball, basketball, or soccer.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jon_kasper/status/1038300423122182144[/tweet]
It made the front page of the Flagstaff paper. Again, it's a story for the community to rally around the university.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NAUVolleyball/status/1038445169773662209[/tweet]

The new AD's job isn't just to make ISU football and basketball relevant. A very inexperienced Jeff hit his ceiling. That's not meant to be a knock on him. He did a lot of good things. I said before, he never should have been hired in the first place. But it was what it was. The new AD needs to see the big picture. Fundraising needs to increase. Ticket sales need to increase, at every sport. I personally hope we finally see some additional night games for football, especially later in the fall. I hope to see smarter pricing when it comes to ticketing. The right AD choice can rejuvenate the morale at an entire department. I've seen my share of them, and it's funny how the personalities of the employees slowly match that of the person in charge. I've seen it on this board, for crying out loud. New attitudes. New directions.

I'm just trying stay positive, as of right now Coach Bill Evans is who we have. I'm going to support him his staff and the Team as much as possible. YES, I would love to take the best looking girl on campus to the DANCE but I didn't so I'm going to dance with the girl I'm with. All I'm trying to say is we have a few new members on the coaching staff and a few new faces the Team, lets ALL try to encourage them and support them. We don't need the Head Coach looking over his shoulders wondering about his future when he has a new season RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. Beside a good head coach is only as good as his assistant coaches and AGAIN we have a few new guys there, I've been told by a reliable source that the new coaches are very good.

Latest posts

Back