• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Nick Mason to transfer??

bengalman

Just found this list of transfers. Saw Nick Mason's name. Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22007798/transfer-list-first-edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's probably hoping he can take his point and a half scoring average to a lower level school for his last year of eligibility.

I checked in on a couple of other O'Brien recruits who transferred out. Brandon Glanz went to Sonoma State, and he averaged 10 minutes a game and 3.5 points this season for an 11 win D2 team. Justin Brunswick played on a Kent State team which won over 20 games, but he only saw action in 5 games, averaged 1 minute for each of those 5 games, and he didn't score.

Maybe he can transfer to Marquette and start right along side Garrett Swanson. Almost all of these guys that O'brien brought in his last few years are D3, at best.

Here's a couple more names from the O'Brien recruiting years.

Vishal Banipal - Currently in Canada, dominating the NABA. Looks like nothing more than a city league. Want a good laugh, go to their website http://www.mynaba.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on the photos link. Some real ballers in that league.

Eric Segert - Alcohol problems here. Only lasted a handful of games at Division 2 UT-Permian Basin.

Kamil Gawrzydek - Hopefully back in Poland. He was terrible. At least he gave us some youtube recognition with his crazy free throw (Over 9 million views). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8w3zN0xiA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kameron Pierce - Lasts less than a week playing for O'Brien, citing he doesn't have passion for the game anymore. Transfers back to Northeastern Co JC and had a pretty good year this year. Obviously he still wanted to play, just didn't want to play for O'Brien.

Another interesting name on the transfer list is Jake Thomas from Marquette. He played his first 2 years at South Dakota and was an all conference performer. He averaged over 13 pts as a freshman and as a sophomore. He transferred to Marquette and played very sparingly (never more than 7 minutes in a league game) and averaged 1.8 pts/gm. Now he wants to leave and go somewhere he can play.

Garret Swanson averaged 3.6 pts at Idaho State. Those people that think that Garret Swanson is going to have an impact (or even play) at Marquette are DELUSIONAL!!

Bengalman, Kameron Pearce entered the summer semester after being recruited by O'Brien. It is true that he wasn't happy with things at ISU. He was really looked at as a 2 0r 3 shooting guard with the ability to light it up from beyond the arc. ISU didn't even have a consistent shooter from that range. He was buried 3 deep on a losing team. He had never had a conversation with O'Brien until he told him that he was not staying. He took his penalty for the next year and it was going to run into Jan. of this year. He didn't want to wait that long, so he went back to NJC. He has several options for the coming year. Has grown and matured a lot.

Bandit,

Maybe you misunderstood my post. In no way was I questioning Kameron's character. I was pointing out that O'Brien was a poor recruiter. I have 2 problems with what you said.
1. If Kameron had never had a conversation with O'Brien prior to letting him know he was leaving, it tells me that O'Brien wasn't involved in the recruiting process and wasn't doing his job.
2. How in the world could Kameron know he was 3 deep on the depth chart? He quit a week into school. Practice hadn't even started. Impossible to know at that point.

I wish Kameron nothing but the best. Heck, I'd love to see him come to ISU. I just wanted to point out that O'Brien was a terrible recruiter.

Bengalman, I didn't take offence to your post, and yes, Pearce is a fine young man. 1st, O'Brien was at the Jr. college district tournament where Pearce hit 6 out of 8 from behind the arc. 2nd, Pearce said it was posted on the board of how the players stacked up. I do not know if O'Brien did that or an asst. coach did it. 3rd, he let things bother him until he got pretty sick. All in all, he didn't like the program, didn't like the coaching staff, didn't like Pocatello, and started to dislike basketball.
He called Coach Trenkle at NJC and Trenkle encouraged him to come back instead of losing that much playing time before being allowed to play at Colorado Mesa University. It was the Coach at CMU that called him and told him that he wouldn't be allowed to play until Jan. of this year.
His offers are from California, Idaho, N. Dakota. S. Dakota, Florida, and 2 in Texas. I have know idea of where he will go.
Could he have played at ISU? I think he could have, but if things make it so you are not happy, I doubt that you can have much success. It just turned out that it wasn't a good fit, and I'm sure that happens to a lot of young players.
4th, as you remember, O'Brien quit after the 8th game of the season, leaving everything in more chaos than it was. We all knew that he would be fired at the end of that season anyway, but it made it difficult for the administration to put their plan in place in replacing him. We all know what happened after that, huh?
I think Evans is OK, don't you? :)

There were even more who left the program under O'Brien's watch. There were more than I thought, when you come to think of it. I'm surprised APR problems didn't start to creep in.

Kal Bay left and finally ended up at Minot State. He averaged around 10 or 11 points a game there.

Steve Anderson had promise, but left after his freshman year. Not sure where he ended up. I heard he went to BSU to run track, and then I heard he was going to play at College of Idaho.

Tom Taylor left before his career was up, didn't he? Certainly shouldn't have been at this level, but another where I don't know where he ended up.

Felix Caspari quit after Bay left. He didn't give much notice, and I think he gave up basketball.

Todd Starks left and had a great career at an NAIA school, Lindenwood-Belleville. He averaged almost 25 points a game. Found this on him. http://smallcollegebasketball.tumblr.com/post/43430695679/todd-starks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have heard from more than one person that the staff and program wasn't very inviting to new players. And by the word inviting, I mean in the sense of being welcome. Some players were didn't belong at this level weren't great to new players. It's not much of a surprise then that recruiting started bad and got even worse after that.

So glad O'Brien is gone. The recruiting and stories associated with it were beyond embarrassing.

Tom Taylor, Steve Anderson, and Kamerson Pierce. Only 3 Idaho kids signed by O'Brien. All 3 left early. It's a really bad sign when you can't keep the local kids around.

Thank goodness we've moved on.

Bengalman lets not go to the "local kids" thing man. Lets look at the State of Idaho D1 schools that have Idaho Kids.
Boise State
Jake Ness .4 ppg

Idaho
Hill 12.1ppg
Selesky 2.0

ISU
Hosman 0ppg
Jones 0ppg
harrington 0ppg

Thats 1 player in the state of Idaho from the state of Idaho Averageing more than 2ppg this year. Keeping local kids are not the issue here. And it hasn't been for the last 10 years.

I don't disagree that there are few Idaho kids producing for Idaho universities. Obviously that wasn't always the case -- Hayes, Holston, Wilkinson, Denkers, Schroeder, Stucki, Kinghorn, etc., etc. And thats just ISU. That makes me wonder if there are still some good kids coming out of Idaho high schools, but who are going elsewhere -- the Cannon kid from Shelley going to Weber, for example. Is there anyway to find statistics on the production of all Idaho high school players now playing at any level of college basketball? Has the quality declined or are they just going elsewhere?

I think a kid from Southeast Idaho is also going to play for Stu at Utah State next season. Every five years or so, Stu gets a good kid from the area and he produces for him.

Jardine from Twin and the guy who went to Poky had a very nice career for Stu and then played in Europe (Spencer something...) comes to mind.

PBP

PBP, I think you're talking about Spencer Nelson, JT's brother, who went to Utah State -- and was probably a thousand times better of a ballplayer than JT was. Over 30 years ago JT and Spencer's folks bought their house from my parents. Hopefully ISU can get the kind of basketball tradition that eventually we won't be losing these kinds of players (Spencer, Jardine and Cannon) to teams like Utah State and Weber.

E5, I think we're talking about 2 different things. I was referring to O'Brien's ability to RETAIN Idaho kids. You're talking about the talent level of Idaho kids. 2 different topics completely. I was just pointing out that Idaho kids should be easier to retain because, theoretically, they shouldn't get homesick. He was 0-3 in retaining Idaho kids he recruited.

Now if you want to have a conversation about whether or not ISU should recruit local kids, or whether they're good enough, that's a different conversation. I don't think we should recruit only Idaho kids. But when Weber State signs 2 kids from East Idaho (Josh Fuller and McKay Cannon), Will Carter averages 13 pts and 8 rebs at San Jose State, Montana State starts 2 kids from Idaho (Egwuonwu and Colbert). It makes me realize there's some talent in the state. Not a ton for sure, but there's some. I'd rather see those guys in Orange and Black. And if they do sign with ISU, I hope we can keep them around for their whole careers.

I agree that Idaho has talent. What I am saying is Idaho talent usually doesn't want to play in Idaho. And looking at the last 5 years it is not a ISU problem but a State of Idaho problem.

Kids at Utah State, Weber State, or Montana State are not that far away so I don't see them getting home sick. Utah State, Weber State also has a Basketball Arena, double the basketball budget, and a tradition of success.

Bengalguy, this is for your information, and only intended as an update. Pearce was back on the radar by Coach Evans, who was going to fly to Sterling, Co. to visit with him. Pearce signed with St Mary's University in San Antonio last Tue. morning before returning to Colorado.
He is excited and pumped about playing for a Div.II National Contender.

Just as a point of information...most of those east Idaho kids that are going elsewhere were recruited heavily by Idaho State, and they still chose to go elsewhere. Sometimes it's easy to get in the mindset that if we don't sign them, we must not have recruited them hard enough. Will Carter did NOT want to be this close to his home. ISU recruited Cannon and Fuller (even though his dad played at ISU)...they chose Weber. It is what it is...and when ISU gets its program turned around we'll start to get those kinds of kids. Can Coach Evans make that happen? I think he's got as good a shot as any coach we've had for a lonnnnnnnnnng time. I spoke with the parent of a potential recruit yesterday who told me that Coach Evans is working his butt off to get his kid, and that he's totally impressed by the effort. Now we wait and see.

GO BENGALS!

Ran into Nick and he said he is transferring. He wants the opportunity to play.

Good guy and I wish him well where ever he goes.

PBP

Latest posts

Back