• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

North Dakota budget woes

Skippy

The Grand Forks Herald is reporting the North Dakota athletic department is facing a $1.4 million budget deficit. Their president has ordered a review of the number of sports and conference affiliation, among other things. It will be interesting to see if UND starts looking for a better geographic fit (Missouri Valley?) for its programs.

As much as I like their facilities and competitiveness...I wouldn't miss the travel. It's just not going to get any easier for programs at our level.

And remember North Dakota this year is offering 'full cost of attendance" scholarships for all athletes, the first in the Big Sky to do so. I was told this was in direct response to North Dakota State doing so.

With all their oil / gas / shale money pouring into that state I'm very surprised at this. I'd think money would be the last of their issues!

Remember to So. Dakota was supposed to join No. Dakota in the Big Sky, that was the original plan until So. Dakota got a last minute invite from the Missouri Valley Conference.

PBP

PBP, I don't know about the rest of the state, but the oil boom in Williston, ND ended several months ago -- the price of oil is too low right now. Williston is definitely where most of the oil-related jobs were. I've got a few friends from here who went up there, made their money, and came back. But who knows, maybe another few years or so they'll have another boom and people can go up there and make some money.

boisebengal said:
PBP, I don't know about the rest of the state, but the oil boom in Williston, ND ended several months ago -- the price of oil is too low right now. Williston is definitely where most of the oil-related jobs were. I've got a few friends from here who went up there, made their money, and came back. But who knows, maybe another few years or so they'll have another boom and people can go up there and make some money.

I was talking more about the energy sector at large. They still have a ton of natural gas jobs / money and the fracking industry as well.

PBP

PBP said:
boisebengal said:

I was talking more about the energy sector at large. They still have a ton of natural gas jobs / money and the fracking industry as well.

PBP
A lot of the fracking industry is shutting down in this country because the price of oil and natural gas is so low it's no longer competitive. North Dakota has been hit hard by the retrenchment. There was a story on a North Dakota TV station web site that said North Dakota has lost 20,000 of its 85,000 oil industry jobs and a third of its wells have shut down.

I moved from Idaho to Texas for a job. I am a regional sales manager for 12 locations in the Eagleford Shale and the Permian Basin and we have seen revenue declines of 60% in 2015 and another 60% in 2016. This is devastating to companies and families in these areas.

I am sure everyone remembers the housing crash. These areas did not even notice or feel that event. It was a very lucrative time here so it went largely unnoticed. When I lived in Idaho, I cheered low gas prices, folks in these areas do not like low gas prices at all. Low gas prices means a loss of jobs.

I would imagine that the Bakken's are suffering to the same degree as West and South Texas because of the price of oil. Much like Texas and North Dakota didn't feel the housing bubble pop, the rest of the US is only starting to realize what is going on in these areas of the country with regards to Oil and Gas.

If it continues much longer, you will hear of O&G service companies (this is already happening in large numbers) going out of business. Then the big boys may start to fall. At that point the rest of the country will probably start to really take notice because it will begin to be felt in the whole US economy.

I can only imagine the pinch that athletic programs are going to feel in these areas.

Latest posts

Back