• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

O Article... UP Trying To Make Inroads In Portland

Pounder

UP started thinking out of the box. That's done something for soccer.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2013/07/q-and-a_scott_leykam_talks_abo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could PSU partner with the Blazers? Peregrine?

Pounder said:
UP started thinking out of the box. That's done something for soccer.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2013/07/q-and-a_scott_leykam_talks_abo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could PSU partner with the Blazers? Peregrine?

I like that comment about a PSU / UP doubleheader (my wife went to UP and I went to PSU, so that would be a great event for us), or co-hosting an in-season tournament at the Rose Garden.

Is it me or does it not seem to be that much of a challenge for UP and PSU team up and put put a tournament on in Portland? Attract some programs (Gonzaga, BYU, Hawaii, etc) that have a strong following in the (or any region for that matter) that could support ticket sales. I think that both UP and PSU would face a huge challenge trying to do this alone, but together, perhaps it would be possible.

How many of those tournaments still exist? The days of the Far West Classic are long gone. I see little to no hype for the Great Alaska Shootout anymore (only Maui seems to be a tournament of note). Bigger schools will structure these 3-games-in-3-days round robin events (4 teams) to mimic a conference tournament run, but no conference mates EVER join those (hence forget about Gonzaga or BYU as long as they're in the WCC). The chances are limted for getting a school better than the host schools.

I was in Vegas on the weekend before Christmas and caught the second day of a two-day "tournament" involving 6 schools... at MGM Grand Garden, capacity 14,000 or so. The crowd I saw would have looked small in Stott Center, and that included Boise State the day after their bowl game IN VEGAS. The two-day crowd (Oregon State played the night before), from the announced attendance and observation, MIGHT have sold out Stott. BTW, the PAC-12 put on this show.

Pounder said:
How many of those tournaments still exist? The days of the Far West Classic are long gone. I see little to no hype for the Great Alaska Shootout anymore (only Maui seems to be a tournament of note). Bigger schools will structure these 3-games-in-3-days round robin events (4 teams) to mimic a conference tournament run, but no conference mates EVER join those (hence forget about Gonzaga or BYU as long as they're in the WCC). The chances are limted for getting a school better than the host schools.

I was in Vegas on the weekend before Christmas and caught the second day of a two-day "tournament" involving 6 schools... at MGM Grand Garden, capacity 14,000 or so. The crowd I saw would have looked small in Stott Center, and that included Boise State the day after their bowl game IN VEGAS. The two-day crowd (Oregon State played the night before), from the announced attendance and observation, MIGHT have sold out Stott. BTW, the PAC-12 put on this show.

You broke the first rule of Vegas, you're not supposed to tell us went on. ;-)

Good point, I've seen some of these tourneys on television and the crowds are awful. As you said it seems that everyone just wants to go to Hawaii. I guess that Phil Knight tourney in a couple years in Portland will tell if it can actually work. Hopefully it does, and it'd be sweet if somehow PSU could be involved.

Latest posts

Back