• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Oakes, Pickering Named First Team

Skippy

Kaela Oakes and Chelsea Pickering were named first team all conference, while Brianne Ryan of Eastern Washington was selected the player of the year. Ashleigh Vella was named honorable mention all league.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2012/3/5/WBB_0305125528.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part of me understands Ryan getting the MVP from a stat standpoint but she faded down the stretch (three straight games without scoring a point in the first half and her team lost four straight to end the season.) and it runs counter to 'tradition'... generally coaches always give the MVP to the team that wins the title.

Two years ago for example, Julie Piper, who had mediocre stats got it for Eastern while Amy Patton, who led the Big Sky both in scoring and rebounding was snubbed. Why? Only reason I can think of is because Piper's team won the title.

Also thought it was interesting that neither Kayla nor Chelsea was a unanimous choice. ISU was 'hurt' in this sense by not having one player truly standout. The flip side is that was a big reason they won the title this year...the sum was greater than the individual parts.

I assume Seton will be named coach of the year tomorrow.

PBP

PBP said:
Two years ago for example, Julie Piper, who had mediocre stats got it for Eastern while Amy Patton, who led the Big Sky both in scoring and rebounding was snubbed. Why? Only reason I can think of is because Piper's team won the title.

This is little different, though. Ryan plays for the 3rd. place team, Patton played for a team that didn't even make the Big Sky Tournament that year—it's difficult to justify giving MVP to a team that sucked. I'm guessing that's also along the lines of why Kylie Kuhns only got 2nd. team, even though she averages a double-double.

As you indicated, ISU didn't get MVP because their production was evenly split between 4 players. I believe this is the third time in the last decade a player from a non-champion won or shared MVP. Doma got it in '08 when the Bengals finished 2nd., and Julie Gjertsen of Weber shared it with Hollie Tyler of Montana in '05 even though UM finished a game ahead of the Wildcats.

Latest posts

Back