• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

O'Brien's liabilities were spelled out here two years ago

This was an Interesting read to say the least. I am relatively new to some of the ISU sports stories and didn't realize that Bubb and O'Brien were old pals. Bubb is not someone I'd personally want to use as a reference.
As far as the O'Brien "baggage" goes - what is it? If there is indeed baggage then let's hear facts. If not, all that does is fuel specualtion that may not be accurate and unfair.
From observing Coach OB, if blowing a cork, getting "T' ed up, tossed out of games, pouting, pointing at opposition players and threatening to kick the opposition coach's ass where it's seen and heard on a televised game (BYU comes to mind) is baggage then there's a steamer trunk full. I have not been impressed with his demeanor on the court. There's a fine line between passion and out of control. How many of those close calls that may go against us are self-induced? The Bobby Knight comparison is interesting and a little scary.
It also makes you wonder what happened during & after practice last year when Scooter Maye left town. Not saying there was necessarily anything there but what was reported, which wasn't much, but it surely makes you wonder.
Let's see if he lasts on the bench for the duration of the games this week.

It all comes down to results, and so far, O'Brien has the best Big Sky Conference winning percentage of any Idaho State coach since Jim Killingsworth. While that is admittedly not a high bar, it at least puts into perspective how difficult it is for anyone to win at Idaho State. There is always talk about the "profile" of what a successful coach should look like -- JC, four-year assistant from a big school, winning head coach at a smaller school, etc. Well, Idaho State has tried them all -- big time assistant (Archibald, Oliver and Williams), winner at a D-II level (Boutin), and JUCO coach (O'Brien). (Oh, and crook -- Ballard). Williams had a couple of very successful seasons, but when he lost his key assistants, the bottom fell out.

Idaho State has had one winning season in the last 11 years (and that was 14-13), one regular season title in the last 15, and one BSC tournament title in the last 21. Is O'Brien the perfect coach? Absolutely not, but he has a lot of company. And he has the rest of this season to turn things around and continue to build on the best Big Sky record of any ISU coach in 30 years. Let's see how the rest of the season turns out.

this is interesting, I remember the initial concerns as well, in fact there are things a hate about the way this went down, but skippy is right and it is undeniable!

we are better with Joe Obrien than we have been for several years, it is very difficult to build a program and to some extent thats the challenge that was laid out for Coach, I would say he has done a great job, I hate the offense, but ISU is better because of him today

FEAR THE BENGAL!

prince-
did you watch the same game as i did against byu? i have never seen a dirtier squad as those guys. if having joe defend our bengals against those kids upsets you, maybe you should rethink your position.

princeofbelair said:
It also makes you wonder what happened during & after practice last year when Scooter Maye left town. Not saying there was necessarily anything there but what was reported, which wasn't much, but it surely makes you wonder.
Let's see if he lasts on the bench for the duration of the games this week.

I was there when it happened and it was an unfortunate situation. I think Scooter wasn't treated fairly and their should have been some form of repercussions for O'Brien. I feel that their is a lack of dignity and respect that goes on with the basketball program. I love the game of basketball and enjoyed playing and now coaching. But at the end of the day its just a game ....and we are all human beings and everyone should be treated like that. I don't see anything wrong with getting on to a player. But being demeaning and name calling it just shows a lack of maturity. Some people believe that they are above the law and we all need to be humbled at times.

Totally unfair assessment right now in my opinion. There are things people like and dislike about everyone. We might not agree on certain issues etc but to pull his past back into the mix is unfair. He hasn't done anything yet IMO to have people throw him under the bus.

Protoge, I appreciate your comments on this one. I hate his offense, but I also love the defense when they are playing at a high-level

My thoughts for others--O'Brien can be a real bastard at times. However, wouldn't you think that if players hates his ways so much, you would have kids transferring out in drones?

He recruits good kids and the players that he get are on track to graduate. I think he is also learning lessons with regards to his sometimes brash style.

He got a technical at Eastern and I don't blame him. The second came within a few second of the first and was very poor judgment in my opinion by the officials. O'Brien is going to be good for a few more this season as well, and quite frankly, I like it, unless it costs the team a game.

I want O'Brien to stay a long time and as long as the players want to play for him; a change is not in order.

As for not being able to recruit, WHATEVER is what I say to that. He has brought some great kids in.

The offense needs a spark in the off season and I hope they address it.

yoda said:
prince-
did you watch the same game as i did against byu? i have never seen a dirtier squad as those guys. if having joe defend our bengals against those kids upsets you, maybe you should rethink your position.

Yes, yoda that was the game. I have absolutely no use for those BYU players and their attitude and on-court crap. In fact I feel the same about all their athletic teams! :D All I'm saying is that Joe came across looking like he was stomping around in the midst of a tantrum when we were down by at least double digits - approaching 20 points. I don't doubt his frustration and the BYU antics but it looked childish on his part and like he was verging on being out of control. I can't say I blame him but I don't think it helped the image of ISU basketball. At least it was a home game and no chairs or punches were thrown. :mrgreen:

BYU is a foul, dirty, evil, team and epitomizes that self-righteous, holier than thou arrogance that I hate so very much. At least the Miami Hurricanes were honest about who they were. BYU hides behind the "golden, mature, humble church boy" mask and they have to be the biggest jackasses EV-AAAR!

OK, back to the topic.

Coach OB has pros and cons, like every other coach in America in every single sport. He has good things and bad things, too.

His temper can be horrible at times, but it's nice to know we have a guy willing to fight it out for ISU, a stick-in-the-mud school compared to many other schools (I admit it...we aren't that big compared to the others. Doesn't mean we have to be this way, but still).

I'll take OB over any bball coach save for Killingsworth.

His temper is explosive and at times, inexcusable (like mine). But overall I like him and I wouldn't want anyone else as my bball coach right now. We need fighters and warriors as our coaches, like Gibson (soccer), Zamberlin (football), and Seton and Company (women's bball). People who aren't content to let this university of ours be smacked around by anyone anymore.

I will admit, though...

He does worry me at times when he loses his temper. I'm scared he'll have a heart attack, I really am. I know we cannot be smacked around and I understand his warrior attitude (and I love it), but we need him ALIVE! We don't need any heroes, ahahahaha

This season is pretty much make-or-break for O'Brien. I think we should let the team play, let the coaches coach, and see how it all shakes out. If O'Brien can't get it done, there will be plenty of time for recriminations and hand-wringing at the season's end. Until then, we should all support the team and the coaches.

Latest posts

Back