• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

OT: Idaho football feeling the pain

Skippy

The University of Idaho is projecting a $1 million deficit in its athletic department and is asking the SBOE to allow the university to use $1 million more a year in institutional support (tax dollars) per year over the next four years. The athletic department blames the deficit on three factors: lower dollars received for its "body bag" football games, shrinking student fees because of drops in enrollment, and falling donor dollars as a backlash against the decision to drop the football program back to FCS level and rejoin the Big Sky in 2018.

Correction : All three state universities will Not report on the state of their athletic departments at this week's state board meeting. Typically they report at the February meeting, but it's not on the agenda this month. In any event, It will be interesting to see how ISU is faring given the drop in enrollment and the disappointing seasons in football and basketball. Longer term if the Big Sky goes forward with the plan to have 9 conference football games, ISU may have to figure out how to replace a sizable chunk of change if they decide to play only one money game a year. Challenging times.

Good report Skippy. I also noticed this on twitter today = "University of North Dakota releases statement saying athletic department needs to cut 1.3 million dollars for next fiscal year."

FCS Sports sounds like a real challenging game for Athletic Directors to balance the budget. I think long term when the Big Sky Football conference schedule is 9 games, the best thing is still play the two Money Games. It sounds like those payouts are huge in helping to fund the football program and some other athletic teams on campus and some other University needs. Keep the money games I say. I do understand it is a tough situation though and not an easy answer because it obviously eliminates one Home Game off of the schedule and that is not a good thing and it also can be tough on the injury situation as well, so either way it is a tough deal.

The SBOE is allowing UI to increase its institutional support to athletics for one year...

The Idaho State Board of Education approved a request by the University of Idaho Thursday morning to temporarily waive a policy that caps the university’s athletics expenditures at $950,000.

The board waived the policy for one year to allow the university to increase its institutional athletic expenditures by $1 million for the 2017 fiscal year, putting total athletic expenditures at $1.9 million.

Read more: Moscow-Pullman Daily News: UI granted temporary $1 million increase in athletic spending

For what it's worth, ISU and UI aren't the only schools feeling the sting from a drop in enrollment. Montana, believe it or not, has been experiencing a decline...

Enrollment of full time students at the University of Montana fell 5.45 percent from spring 2016 to spring 2017, and the head count fell 2.8 percent...
UM has experienced falling enrollment since 2010, seeing an overall 24 percent decrease despite its high academic rankings...

Read more: Missoulian: University of Montana Enrollment Drops

Tough times ahead for the Vandals -- they will lose a lot of income dropping down to FCS -- loss of Sun Belt shares, lower payouts for "money games," and lower contributions from alums and other donors.

....So Skippy...or anyone....do you think it is too late for the Vandals to reverse course ?.....I have a lot of Vandal friends....some with money....some with "sources"...but a large majority of them tell me they are trying to rally their fans and alumni to stay at the FCS level......thoughts ?......

clawsout said:
....So Skippy...or anyone....do you think it is too late for the Vandals to reverse course ?.....I have a lot of Vandal friends....some with money....some with "sources"...but a large majority of them tell me they are trying to rally their fans and alumni to stay at the FCS level......thoughts ?......

My personal opinion is that ship has sailed, at least under this administration. If they were going to stay FBS in 2018 they'd have to have a schedule in place by now. At yesterday's SBOE meeting there was very little discussion on the Idaho request for a one-year waiver. Chuck Staben sent out an email to alums and supporters last week saying they were committed to the drop down. Nothing is forever, of course, and a new president might be more amenable to FBS, but the longer they are FCS and the more they scale back to get there, the harder it's going to be to reverse course.

Big problem they had is they were given the boot by the Sun Belt. No conference wants them for football, and it would be hard for a small program like them to sustain an independent schedule over a long period of time. The only way I could see them reverse their decision is if the Sun Belt did a 180 with them.

Latest posts

Back