• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

PBP Announcer suspended at North Dakota...

It seems excessive, but it's hard to judge without hearing the actual exchange. Was the announcer confrontational about it, did he use the term as part of a question, or did he use the term as a declaration?

I agree that a "hometown" announcer should present the broadcast from that team's point of view. If they are an employee of that actual team (i.e. the university), then it goes a step further in that the announcer is also serving as a cheerleader. He's also trying to sell the team from a marketing standpoint. So in that regard, being derogatory about the team is probably not acceptable. A good announcer would be able to address what happend at a certain point of a game without name calling anyway.

I think it's a joke. If the coach was offended becasue the PBP guy said his team choked - when indeed they had - he needs to find a new job. Give me a break, the guy was calling it how he saw it. If the administration doesn't like the way he calls games then fire him but let him at least do his job - which includes telling the truth even when it hurts.

In the world we live in now, EVERYTHING must be politically correct! If you say something wrong or out of context then the media will crucify you to the end. You know what I have to say about that, SCREW YOU!!!

We live in America folks, did everyone forget!?!?! We have the freedom of speech. There has been many times that ISU did a "Choke Job". He was calling it how he saw it. Good for him....

I agree that the coach got his feelings hurt, BUT the announcer is still an employee of the university.

Look at it this way. Let's say you walk into a McDonalds or any other type of restaurant. You ask the employee, "what's good?" He replies that everything on the menu is crappy and he wouldn't buy any of it. On the one hand, he has the freedom of speech to say that. On the other, he's an employee whose job is to serve and promote the business at hand. Would the employer be out of line to discipline or fire that employee?

I get what you're saying. But when the announcer is employed by the university to do that job, then he has to announce the way that is expected of him. When he's not on the clock, he's free to say or do whatever he wants. He can espouse bigotry, conspiracy thoeries, right-wing or left-wing rhetoric, or anything else all over his facebook for all I care. I may think less of him for doing it, especially when he's high profile, but he has the right to do it.

It's a basic conflict of interest beween the creed of journalism / broadcasting, i.e. serve the public, tell the truth and the reality that a broadcaster is paid by the university and has obligations to them.

There's no way to get around this conflict of interest. The university, absolutely has the right to expect certain things from an individual, he (or she) is an employee of there's. The public also has the right to know that at least some semblence of truth is being told about a team and the way they are performing.

It's is a very fine line that broadcasters have to walk these days. You simply try to do the best job that you can while serving two masters.

Regarding the particular incident, I suspect the issue was with the words that were used. The broadcaster could have said something like, "coach, this was a game I'm sure you thought was already put in the win column and it got away from you. What happened?"

Sometimes you have to be a diplomat in these things. I can tell you first hand I've made mistakes in areas like this, you try to learn from them and not make the same mistake again.

PBP

Thanks to an open records request, you can hear the audio exchange now. You can also read a series of emails sent to the North Dakota athletic department, including one from ISU's own SID, Schaack.

http://deadspin.com/how-north-dakota-lost-its-mind-over-a-choke-job-504008586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come to Jesus, VOTB, Come to Jesus!

P.S. Maybe it's just me, but Schaack seems wormy.

JJB said:
Thanks to an open records request, you can hear the audio exchange now. You can also read a series of emails sent to the North Dakota athletic department, including one from ISU's own SID, Schaack.

http://deadspin.com/how-north-dakota-lost-its-mind-over-a-choke-job-504008586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come to Jesus, VOTB, Come to Jesus!

P.S. Maybe it's just me, but Schaack seems wormy.

Short Man's Syndrome was my first thought...pathetic...

Total agree with PBP. Its a very fine line with telling the truth and keeping the university happy. I would love to know what the heck Steve is talking about. hardest thing for a radio guy I'm sure is interview a coach 15 min after a heartbreaking loss.

PBP and VOTB do a great job. Bushleague that SS would seek advice on how to go after what they do.

Even when ISU isn't in the news.....they are in the news :ohno:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now I know why ISU's website continues to lack updated features, have dead links, or 2 year old information! It's because Steve Schaack would rather spend his time emailing other schools asking for help to do his job.

There are still bios which haven't been updated from LAST year.

Rosters with incomplete information. Hey, the school year is over, what do we care now that some athletes never got their pictures or bio up?

There are dead links. What the Hell is Family of the Game anyway?

Click on "promotions," and you find promos for 2011!
http://www.isubengals.com/sports/2010/12/1/GEN_1201100017.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anybody needs to be taken to the woodshed, it's Steve Schaack. Hey Steve, why don't you worry about excelling at your own GD job before worrying about others!

The lack of information and new & innovative content has been lacking since Frank M. left.

How many of you have heard a broadcaster rip on his team of employment in their way of playing or on an individual? But, when he interviewed that coach after the game he said nothing of that. It happens all the time. I agree with PBP in that he could used many other conotations other than "chocked". I think I would have sadi, "Coach, do you agree that for all intent of purposes, the team should have come away with a win in this game? It's a tough loss, right?" Then give the coach a chance to speak for himself and his players.
Can you hear the broadcaster telling Bobby Knight, "Hey Bobbie, your team just chocked down the stretch." BAM !!

Latest posts

Back