• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Philosophy change on Red Shirting?

Kramer mentioned to the media that the plan is not to redshirt any players from this recruiting class unless some players are not ready to play their true freshmen year. For the last four years Kramer has redshirted almost all of his recruits during their freshmen year so why the philosophy change? Is this a good change or not a good change?

up for the challenge said:
Kramer mentioned to the media that the plan is not to redshirt any players from this recruiting class unless some players are not ready to play their true freshmen year. For the last four years Kramer has redshirted almost all of his recruits during their freshmen year so why the philosophy change? Is this a good change or not a good change?

I think it's a good Change...it's telling these recruits, they have an opportunity to compete right away! Which I believe this makes competion better in fall camp. In years past, recruits were expected to redshirt unless they were a true talent..I'm getting from this " 2-9 last season every position is open"

I think it is a good change too. No guarantees that a player will redshirt or will be on scholarship for 5 years to play 4 years as that is up to the head coach. Scholarships are on a year to year basis so why waste a scholarship for one year by red shirting a player their freshman year and never see them play during the season? If they are on full scholarship than they are ready and wanting to play in the games in my opinion. Burn all of their red shirts against Simon Frazier in the first game at Holt Arena and leave no doubt who will red shirt or not red shirt.

I think part of the reason for this, at least this year, is because special teams were so bad last season and with the injuries thin to begin with.

As Mike said the injuries forced experienced guys to move into regular playing rotation and that left them dangerously thin say on kick off and coverage teams.

I think Mike wants depth and competition this year.

I think its a smart move myself. Guys who aren't ready to play (and there will be some) will show this during Fall camp and make the decision easy but I think he'll also get some guys who can contribute immediately.

PBP

I agree about not red shirting freshmen, however, in the past Kramer did indicate the reason for red shirting freshmen was to allow them to obtain 1000 reps in practice and obtain size and strength and the goal was to play them when they were juniors and seniors. That was Kramer past philosophy so you maybe right about Kramer changing the philosophy due to past depth issues and injuries issues from the previous seasons.

Redshirting freshmen may have a few advantages. Here is one. If an incoming freshmen does not red shirt than that player is forced to take a full load of classes and credits each semester to graduate on time. If they do not take the required amount of credits and classes each semester to graduate on time than they will need to attend summer school. The players scholarships are not covered during the summer session (room,board, and tuition) so the player is responsible for those fees. If they do not graduate on time than they are no longer on scholarship which means they will need to stay on campus at their own expense until they are able to graduate. If they do not graduate on time than that affects the football team APR's. Is that correct?

Personally, I think the players that do not redshirt that fall behind on credits and classes need to attend the ISU summer school session at their own expense. Take out student loans or whatever they need to do to graduate on time. I also think if you are going to redshirt some players than redshirt all of the players. If the philosophy is not to red shirt than burn all of their redshirts and leave no doubt.

Latest posts

Back