• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Pocatello needs to suck it up - Enough whining

bluehawgscoach

To my friends, hello. To my adversaries, stick it in your ear.

You get to choose which column you desire to be in.

As the title says, everybody needs to suck it up.

Coaches, suck it up.
Players, suck it up.
Fans, suck it up.

I would never have known this town or many of you on this board if one of my boys had not decided to come play for Idaho State. He should have been at a bowl division school, and he had a great high school career in a land where we have dynamite football talent.

However, his destiny was to play for ISU, and my destiny was to visit the valley of rocks.

I came to a town that was quaint in comparision to the big city. Even after the drive from Salt Lake, it was a refreshing, geologicly interesting ride through god's country. Every trip, I enjoyed arriving in Pocatello.

Going to the game was an experience the first time. This wasn't a game at the Coliseum, nor the Rose Bowl, nor Angel Stadium. There was this bunker where a field allegedly sits. Walking in, I looked at it, looked at the most humongous goal posts in the world, and the seats to the roof. I said hmmm...
Then, the flag came down, which is huge by most standards, and I looked at the enthusiasm of the Bengal crowd. I looked at the team, at Josh, and it struck me. I liked this place, and football really is the same no matter where you go in this country at it's basic foundation. It is American.

I have had the pleasure of enjoying wins, suffering loses, and yes, being critical of the lack of constant winning with good people of the valley like Roar & Co, Ford, Pocatato, Cub, etc. I am a fan.

Now, time has past, players have come and gone, and things are a bit tougher.

Suck it up.

Demand better. Expect more. Do more.

If EWU is that good this year, make them prove it. Don't let the same couple of guys beat you. Make someone else do it.

Don't try to overplay yourself on those items you struggle on. If you cannot turn the corner running the ball, find that spot where you can. Clint can move piles if you at least give him a track to get moving. Off tackle is the greatest place for him to be, but you gotta figure out how you get him there.

ISU needs to be a ball control team this week. No mistakes, march the ball. Try to keep the high powered Eagle offense on the sidelines.

Any team can win on any given day.

So, everybody suck it up. Criticize constructively.

A team that loses knowing they did their best will always be appreciated for their honor and effort in battle. Victories are borne of this mettle. With victories comes support.

Players, your attitude must be that I can do what any other man can do. If they seem stronger, I must build my strength. If they are faster, I must give more respect and compensate with anticipation. If they are bigger, I have more leverage.

The beauty of football is that strategy balances the physical inequities.

The accepted idea is that of two equal teams, the offense has the advantage of knowing when and where the play is going. The defense must overcome this advantage with strategy, speed, and determination.

I don't know if this will do anything to reset the mood around here, but it felt like it needed to be said.

I'll edit and add my trademark smileys later. Too hard on the iPhone.

Enjoy the game folks. I'm wishing you some quality football this week.

Coach
:o :o :o :o :o

bluehawgscoach said:
To my friends, hello. To my adversaries, stick it in your ear.

You get to choose which column you desire to be in.

<<snip>>

Enjoy the game folks. I'm wishing you some quality football this week.

Coach

Well said. I share your sentiments exactly. A winning attitude begets winning. And a whiny loser attitude begets....the ISU record to-date.

The letter to the editor in the journal by ex-Bengal Akilah Lacey was a great wake up call, I just hope everybody got the message. Thanks Akilah for the reminder of what is important.

heckler said:
The letter to the editor in the journal by ex-Bengal Akilah Lacey was a great wake up call, I just hope everybody got the message. Thanks Akilah for the reminder of what is important.

Heckler referenced Akilah Lacey's letter to the editor in yesterday's IS Journal.

Here it is:

ISU BENGALS
I am begging and pleading to the city of Pocatello for a pretty big favor. Will you please, please support the Idaho State Bengals in this time of crisis? I have asked this question before in the past when my teammates and I went through a rough spell causing bad publicity. This time I am asking, due to the fact that the Bengals are having a tough time on the field.

Ok, OK, I am not naive. I know that if we were winning I wouldn’t be writing this, but I feel like as a former Bengal I should do my part in keeping not only the players’ heads up, but the community’s heads up as well. These kids work their butts off, many away from home, and trust me they aren’t enjoying the situation they are in.

I remember (when) the community was calling out for more local kids and I think the program has provided that. We also have kids that are part of our programs from all over the country, away from the support of family and friends.

The community is starving for wins, so we need to do our part and give them an atmosphere that will increase their chances of winning. Not just football, but all Bengal athletics. At my place of work we put together a Meet the Teams event that gave the community an opportunity to see the Bengals outside the lines of a playing field. Unfortunately, there wasn’t the turnout I had expected. Those who showed at the event did, indeed, show the teams great support and I am sure your presence will have a lasting effect on the athletes.

After every autograph I had ever given out, I always thought in my head, “I’m going to make this worth something.” In turn, this motivated me to play to the best of my ability. My college experience was a roller coaster with the Bengals. My teammates and I experienced a community that had our back because we were winning, a community that picked up ‘cause we were losing a bit, and remorsefully the community with very little support. It was absolutely the ultimate college experience when you all supported us.

So I again ask for that favor from the bottom of my heart, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaase.

Akilah Lacey, Chubbuck

Let me add this: the Bengals will have basketball recruits at the game on Saturday, and a positive, supportive atmosphere for the football team would certainly send the right message about ISU and Pocatello to these young men. Let's be our "Best Bengals" on Saturday and be as positive and supportive as possible.

Heckler, Votb:

The Lacey article was a great addition to the thread. Thanks.

I'm around from time to time, I just don't get into the middle of the battles. I just thought maybe I could alter the course of the discussions for a moment. Akilah has done much more on the ground to try and shake it up.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed (yeah right) for a better day Saturday.

Best Wishes.

Coach

Bluehawg, I hope all is well with Coach and co. I really like and miss the insight of coach. True words of inspiration and knowledge. I keep in touch with JB's older sibling (the other JB). Congrats to him and the wife. The good old days tailgating and eating ribs (slow cooked of course) with Coach. Times i will cherish for a lifetime. You da man Coach!

Ps-do you remember when the other JB went to Compton and picked up those spicy brawts and had them as a carry on the plane, all for the tailgate. Good old days i tell ya

Roar:

I don't think I'll ever forget BigFan and his carry-on eats.

He was so proud of those links, and was even more pumped when everyone liked them.

I look forward to another tailgate up there with ya. It probably won't be this season, but who knows what will happen the next. At least I know there is somewhere I can go in this country and have great company and food!

How's Caged and Bird and lil Roar doing?

How's the whole bunch doing?

Talking about things I won't forget is being among the small patch of Orange amidst a sea of Royal Blue at Kentucky, and watching the Bengals consistently silence 67000 fans in blue... We should have won that game... That team went on to be pretty good the following year in the SEC...

Coach

Latest posts

Back