• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Portland State IPA

martymoose

Staff member
My dad attended this years Wine and Roses event and picked up a 22oz bottle of Portland State IPA brewed by Rouge. I figured it was just one of those deals where they tag <your name here> for an event of some sort, but on the back it has a little blurb about sustainability and how PSU has partnered with Rogue Ales.

Anyone know when this came out? Where I can get some other than at the Wine and Roses event? I think they had cases for sale for quite a bit as a fund raising vehicle at the Wine and Roses.

I would love to pick up some cases for football tailgating this season.

Let me know if anyone wants to see what the bottle looks like. I can snap a picture.

Cheers!

My understanding is that the IPA is only available by the case. It's not actually a new Rogue beer, they've just repackaged one of their other IPAs. Its quite tasty though.

As for purchasing, I'd ask Alumni or Marketing.

Portland State University lends its name and logo to beer brand

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2010/05/portland_state_university_lend.html

There used to be (and probably still is) a beer called "Old Viking." I used to have one of their T-shirts. I thought it was a great image for Portland State. I don't know who made it, but whole variations on this theme of quality suds from PSU could be propagated.

Remember this Blitz-Weinhard theme: "Got two good reasons for living here. Best country in the country and the country's best beer."

Portland State University partners with local Oregon microbrewery, Rogue Ales

Author:Scott Gallagher Posted:May 18, 2010

(Portland, Ore.) May 18, 2010 – Beervana has many fine breweries, pubs, lounges, and restaurants, but did you know it has its own University? Portland State University (PSU) has partnered with Rogue Ales to produce a locally made beer that’s dedicated to sustainability, Portland State IPA.

Jack Joyce, CEO and Founder of Rogue Ales, wanted to learn more about the University’s efforts towards teaching and promoting sustainability, so he went straight to the top and called Wim Wiewel, President of PSU.

“It all started with one guy asking another guy to have a beer after work,” said Wiewel. “It’s a fun way to illustrate PSU’s commitment to sustainability as well as our efforts to engage the community and develop mutually beneficial partnerships,” said Wiewel.

With a $25 million gift from the James F. and Marion L. Miller Foundation in 2008, PSU chose to dedicate the funds exclusively to the goal of strengthening its role as a national leader in sustainability education. Funds from the Miller gift help support research into subjects such as sustainable food chains, bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure, and green business practices. University faculty and students then partner with local businesses and organizations to put the research into action.

“I don’t understand half the stuff they’re doing,” said Joyce, “but I do know that they’re teaching people to think local—local transportation and local products that are locally grown, locally produced, and locally sold. They call it being sustainable, but we just call it common sense.”

Rogue Ales is an Oregon company that is owned and operated by Oregonians. Its beer is made with grains from the Tygh valley in Wasco County, and hops from Rogue’s own hop farm in Independence. The product uses bottles made by Owens glass in Portland, screen-printed by a company in Beaverton, and bottled in Newport.

“I had no idea how much Rogue went through to create a truly Oregon product,” said Wiewel. “The business is a good model for what we teach.”

“We’re part of the community,” said Joyce. “We think buying local, using alternative transportation, and just being a good neighbor are absolutely essential.” With this new product, Rogue hopes to bring attention to PSU’s programs and encourage others to “be better neighbors.”

“The bottle’s dedication sums it up,” said Wiewel. “Think local, buy local, learn local.”

Bottles of Portland State IPA can be purchased in retail locations around Portland including the Rogue Ales Distillery and Public House in the Pearl District. PSU receives no royalties from the sale of this product.

“Thanks to Rogue for this support,” said Wiewel, “and please drink responsibly.”

About Portland State University
Portland State University (PSU) serves as a center of opportunity for over 28,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Located in Portland, Oregon, one of the nation’s most livable cities, the University’s innovative approach to education combines academic rigor in the classroom with field-based experiences through internships and classroom projects with community partners. The University’s 49-acre downtown campus exhibits Portland State’s commitment to sustainability with green buildings, while many of the 125 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees incorporate sustainability into the curriculum. PSU’s motto, “Let Knowledge Serve the City,” inspires the teaching and research of an accomplished faculty whose work and students span the globe.

Latest posts

Back