• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Portland State prediction thread.

bengalcub

ISU 34 Portland State 24

This weeks starter at QB leads the team the rest of the season unless injured. Maybe.

I predict Hill starts over Morris; he's way better at rock/paper/scissors :lol:

If the o-line comes out of their hibernation ISU wins today...GO BENGALS!

I think the Bengals lose this one 28-10.

It will be interesting to see what kind of game Barnum calls.

Barnum told me he was going to have a special trick play just for me, but now that I'm not there I wonder if it'll happen...yeah, I'm sure it will. He knows I loved the flea-flicker...GO BENGALS!!!!!

Frank

bengalcub said:
I think in the next few years Bruce Barnum will be a head football coach somewhere.
I would love to see Bruce come back and run our program. He is a offensive mastermind.

bhumble said:
bengalcub said:
I think in the next few years Bruce Barnum will be a head football coach somewhere.
I would love to see Bruce come back and run our program. He is a offensive mastermind.

I have all the confidence in the world that he would come back to Pocatello and lead the Bengal football program. Last night was a solid audition, I can only hope Tingey was smart enough to notice. Barnum loves Pocatello, loves Idaho State and he will bring discipline and accountability to the Idaho State program. It wouldn't happen overnight, but I believe he would make a world of difference.

Cub, I really don't agree with that at all. I think we can definitely find someone better than Barnum to take the reigns and try to lead this program. Normally if a coordinator gets promoted to a better position with another college, or gets promoted to head coach, then they really need to make their mark and make a significant difference in what they're doing. About eight years ago, a guy by the name of Keith Uperesa, from Snow College, was the o-coordinator under Larry Lewis, and did a superb job in just one year, and subsequently Pete Carroll of USC asked him to be his o-line coach there. For whatever reason he was fired after a year and later resurfaced at UNLV. I'm not sure what he's doing now.

Also, back in 2002 when ISU went 8-3 and won a share of the Big Sky, a huge amount of our success that year had to be attributed to the expertise of d-coordinator James Ward, who really made his mark in that area and was asked to be part of the Colo. State staff, and did a fine job there as well.

While Barnum is a pretty nice and personable guy, and he's shown that he can recruit some fine players and is an excellent o-line coach. What's he done at ISU and at Cornell that really stands out which would merit him getting a head coaching job at ISU? Honestly, I didn't particularly like his play-calling, which was full of bubble screens and Hobo packages -- that kinda stuff. And he was still learning while he was here. Right now I like Early's play-calling better than Barnum's, although it's difficult to get a lot accomplished right now because of lack of talent, and the players' confidence is shot. If Barnum was really head coaching material, perhaps it would be best if he were to get some experience at a JC or an NAIA school first, before going to a 1-AA school. But I don't think that anything that he did at ISU or Cornell really stands out.

Right now, I really think that this program needs to go in another direction, before more damage is done. While I don't think that there are any boosters around who would step up and help buy out Z's contract, I think that we may have enough in the reserve fund to get this done. And I really can't think of anyone at the top of my head who I think should be considered as the next head coach here. And it may be difficult to get a coordinator to come here from a 1-A school, because for example, the o-coordinator and d-coordinator at BSU each make about $250,000, which is much more than the coach at ISU makes. But possibly we can get a good position coach at a 1-A school, or possibly a good coordinator from a 1-AA school, who's previously had some head coaching experience somewhere. I think that Weber has a good coach in Ron McBride, who previously coached at Utah for several years, and maybe that kind of scenario could be a possibility for us as well.

boisebengal said:
About eight years ago, a guy by the name of Keith Uperesa, from Snow College, was the o-coordinator under Larry Lewis, and did a superb job in just one year, and subsequently Pete Carroll of USC asked him to be his o-line coach there. For whatever reason he was fired after a year and later resurfaced at UNLV. I'm not sure what he's doing now.

Uperesa is the O-line coach at Nicholls State.

Boise, Barnum had several chances to leave ISU. This surprises many but he and his wife liked it in Pocatello. Bruce spent 8 years coming in with Walsh in 97 as the O-line coach, staying over with Lewis when he came in as O-line coach then taking over for Uperesa at OC when the guy they hired fell through, spent a stint at DC when Ward left then back to OC. No matter what he did it was done right, we were always near or at the top of the conference when he coached our team. Frankly, your not liking his play calls does not mean squat. I'll call you about my computer not about coaching a football team. By the way none of us are talking OC for Bruce, we are talking head coach. Unlike the guy we have now, Bruce would bring in someone else to be the OC so he could actually worry about both sides of the ball rather than one side.

No, there's got to be someone out there a lot more qualified than Barnum, especially when he hasn't had any head coaching experience. Not everyone can be a head coach at this level, there's a lot of things that you need to know, as well as being a good pr person. No, he won't get hired here -- too many unknowns and we've really got to get this next hire right. But Bruce is a nice guy though.

Boise--we can debate that when the search begins. I think Barnum would be a great hire--but a guy like James Ward who is the defensive backs coach at Nevada may be a good fit to. Like I said, when it is relevant we can discuss this more.

Latest posts

Back