• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Portland State's Viking Pavilion

Will be the best venue in the BSC without question. (For 52 million it better be! LOL)

PSU WBB is stacking the deck next year as far as the non conference slate. Only one "road" non-conference game scheduled. (Granted that may change now that the BSC has decided to go to 20 conference games). Smart thinking by the athletic department, make a big splash with a team full of seniors.

PBP

SLCBengal said:
PSU's new arena is weeks away from opening. Definitely an upgrade from what they've had...

To be fair, Lewis & Clark was an upgrade from what they had. :?

PBP said:
Will be the best venue in the BSC without question. (For 52 million it better be! LOL)

If it held more than 3400, I would agree. PSU likely doesn't need anything bigger (at least not for a while), but size does matter in terms of a basketball arena's appeal.

MVEN:

Can't see anybody better and what good is say a 5,000 seat arena if you can only fill half of it? That's part of the reason why they do detailed studies when approaching these things.

PBP

otis campbell said:
So? ISU has Reed Gym! :lol: :oops: :cry: Hmm, why is ISU floundering? :dunce: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Except the women's program isn't floundering and they are the principal tenants.

Speaking of Reed Gym, the figures are in and (once again) this time after the past nine seasons, Reed Gym is the toughest place to win a game if you are an opponent.

ISU is 90-28 there for a .762 win percentage, best in the Big Sky.

Here are the others:

Montana 107-36 .748
No. Colorado 93-33 .738
Montana St. 89-33 .729
No. Dakota 93-36 .720 *Leaving BSC
E. Washington 93-36 .720
Idaho 67-37 .644
Sacramento St. 71-51 .581
Portland St. 70-58 .546
So. Utah 60-63 .487
Weber St. 56-71 .440
No. Arizona 53-73 .420

That's part of the reason why it's so hard for the women to get home games. Why make the trip and put up with the travel issues if you are an opponent when you are probably going to get beat.

It's a double edged sword I guess

PBP

PBP said:
MVEN:

Can't see anybody better and what good is say a 5,000 seat arena if you can only fill half of it? That's part of the reason why they do detailed studies when approaching these things.

PBP

That's not really my point. There are 2 Big Sky schools (MBB) that average more attendance than the new Viking Pavilion will even be able to hold. I'm pretty sure most recruits would be more impressed with a full Dahlberg or a mostly full Dee than with a full Viking Pavilion. That's why I wouldn't call it "the best venue in the Big Sky without question."

That's not really my point. There are 2 Big Sky schools (MBB) that average more attendance than the new Viking Pavilion will even be able to hold. I'm pretty sure most recruits would be more impressed with a full Dahlberg or a mostly full Dee than with a full Viking Pavilion. That's why I wouldn't call it "the best venue in the Big Sky without question." [/quote]

Maybe. Hard to tell what motivates 18 year olds. For my money it's the best, the jewel... because it is brand new. Dahlberg and Dee are starting to show their ages.

I'd bet that PSU recruiting gets a lot better because of that facility.

PBP

50 yr fan said:
If we hired winning coaches that mini arena would not be big enough. GO BENGALS

You've got one...the best in the BSC. His name is Seton Sobolewski.

Get on the bandwagon of the one program that actually wins at ISU, the women's basketball team. :kisswink:

PBP

Historical note: I am a UM grad from LONG AGO. Basketball was played in the 'Fieldhouse' which had a dirt floor at the time, as I remember. Maybe the dirt was imported for some indoor event, I really don't know. About 10,000 bleacher seats were basically filled for most games after Jud Healthcote was hired, and the likes of Michael Ray Richardson played ball.
'Old Dornblaser Stadium' was replaced with off campus 'New Dornblaser Stadium,' temporary for about 20 years, yet produced national championship quality teams for a couple years. Then, WGS was built as well as Dahlberg Arena.
If athletics is neglected, fan support, and donor support, go to hell. The University then goes to hell. Can anyone deny that ISU has allowed athletics, and therefore the University, to go to hell? This is from an outside observer with NOTHING to lose or gain from stating my opinion. Show me where I am wrong, I will admit my opinion was wrong. Apparently, ISU has been poorly administered for a couple generations. It's either time to rebuild, or pull the 'Rick's' solution. Discussion, please.

otis campbell said:
If athletics is neglected, fan support, and donor support, go to hell. The University then goes to hell.

A lot of truth there. Bill Snyder from Kansas State said it best. (Paraphrasing) "An athletic department at a school is like the front porch to a house. When driving by it if the porch needs painting, the beams are falling apart and it looks in bad shape, the impression you get is that the house is in bad shape. It's not the most important part of the house but it's the first thing you see."

PBP

I agree with you 100 percent Otis, gonna take more than a paint job to make this look good. It always takes longer and more money to remodel than you figure. This is a major remodel with a change of contractors and sub contractors. Consistent winning seasons will put people in the seats. With all the competion for people's entertainment dollars, the days of averaging 9,000 for football and ,5,000 for basketball at any venue a thing of the past.

That floor has to be regulation and it makes the rest look pretty puny, no worry over having to compete with it. GO BENGALS

50 yr fan said:
That floor has to be regulation and it makes the rest look pretty puny, no worry over having to compete with it. GO BENGALS

You kind of lost me here, not sure what you are trying to say.

PBP

All I`m saying is they have owned us for a while because of their coaches this gym won`t make that much difference. After the first visit the attention will be on the product. besides that green is ugly. GO ORANGE AND BLACK GO BENGALS

Latest posts

Back