• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Post game interview.

bengalcub

Alright, I will say it. Did anyone hear Zamberlin's interview with Q. Freeman after the game? Is it just me, or did Zamberlin actually lose his mind for about 20 seconds?

Mr. Freeman, I applaud you for maintaining your composure after that emotional rant. Even if it was a misunderstanding, I think Zamberlin should have clarified your comment before reading you the riot act.

My thoughts exactly, Cub. I knew when Quinton made the comment, he was referring to the "silly" events which transpired at the end of the game (i.e. the "incomplete" pass Weber threw at the end, the interceptions...). Zamberlin came unglued, and while I'm glad there's some fire still burning within, I was a little embarrassed as a fan to have to listen to that.

isusid said:
Wait...what?

Frank

You know, typical Zamberlin reaction when he perceives a comment to be criticism. Freeman asked Zamberlin to sum up the silly game play during the end of the game. Freeman was referring to the incomplete pass on 3rd down that Higgins threw while in the victory formation. Zamberlin thought that he was talking about ISU blowing the game and making stupid mistakes.

He started to get on Jerry during the coaches show the other day when Miller asked him what he has to say when people feel like R. Hill is getting screwed over at the QB spot. Zamberlin got defensive and asked VOTB, well what do you tell people, Jerry...or something to that effect.

He has been a bit defensive lately and I have no idea why? Is he feeling some sort of pressure to win?

Listening to an after game interview is how I found out Zamberlin read the message board. He made a direct reference to something I said about the coaching on the defensive side of the ball. It still amazes me that a Div. I head coach would be stupid enough to read a message board. As to our team; receivers, stop dropping passes, grow a pair and get physical. Getting jammed by someone twenty pounds lighter than you is embarrassing, get off those jams and do your job. Our defense played well, but in reality, Weber's offense is almost as bad as ours. Hill while not spectacular was at least steady. Had four passes dropped that hit the receiver right in the hands dropped, damn those hurt. Still would like to know the thought process on the interception; did he expect someone to be there or did he just not see the Weber player. We really need to work on that play action play that lead to the three sacks for big yardage. Those D-Ends are untouched coming into the back field, the QB has his back to them and does not know they are there until it is to late. While I understand we are trying to run the ball, but do you really want to get everyone packed into the middle then try to run into it. Weber played with eight in the box most the night, thats tough to run into for anyone. Think maybe we could mix is up once in awhile and spread it out, someone like Tavoy could raise hell if he has some space to play with.

FORTHALLTECH said:
Listening to an after game interview is how I found out Zamberlin read the message board. He made a direct reference to something I said about the coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

Out of curiousity, what did he say that was in reference to what you wrote?

That is all very interesting to me.

I don't remember specifically, I made allot of comments about the defense giving up 40 pts a game and Standley having no clue about three years ago. Many of my comments were pointed at how bad they did recruiting the first and second year, it has all ran together in my mind. Cub, if you remember, speak up. I know we talked about because we couldn't believe he had commented on some things from the board. As for Zamberlin not reacting well to us, under my other handle, BlackfootBengal I represent all of you to Zamberlin. To this day I get glared at by Zamberlin because I said something he thinks that if you are inside the team your not suppose to have an oppinion. What he failed to realize was I was not inside the team, I made sure to maintain that separation, you cannot express yourself as a fan if you are worried about hurting feelings. I was a fan who volunteered so they did not have to pay someone else to do the lifting in the equipment room. Did this under both Walsh and Lewis with no problems because unlike Zamberline they were professionals and did not read message boards. Simply stated, I saw problems the first year Zamberlin came in; had trouble getting a staff together, unorganized, did not understand recruiting, and many small things that when added together get you on the APR hit list. Hired as a tough guy because somewhere people got the idea Lewis was easy on his players Zamberlin has proven to be tough on those who are not part of his inner circle, there you do no wrong until it is to late to fix a problem. As the saying goes; Zamberlin is not ever a pimple on a tough coaches neck. I have never seen a worst disiplinarian at ISU.

It was after the Cal Poly game in 2008 on the video version of the Bengal review. In fact, he made a specific reference to the Bengal Den--calling it by name. I know, I remember our conversation and we were both surprised.

The worst rant came after a BengalDen posted called the teams showing in Oklahoma an embarrassment on the coaches show. Zamberlin, went off saying that he didn't need folks like him as fans and that anybody who was not with the team and in full support was not a fan that he cared about ever coming to an ISU game again.

bengalcub said:
isusid said:
Wait...what?

Frank

You know, typical Zamberlin reaction when he perceives a comment to be criticism. Freeman asked Zamberlin to sum up the silly game play during the end of the game. Freeman was referring to the incomplete pass on 3rd down that Higgins threw while in the victory formation. Zamberlin thought that he was talking about ISU blowing the game and making stupid mistakes.

He started to get on Jerry during the coaches show the other day when Miller asked him what he has to say when people feel like R. Hill is getting screwed over at the QB spot. Zamberlin got defensive and asked VOTB, well what do you tell people, Jerry...or something to that effect.

He has been a bit defensive lately and I have no idea why? Is he feeling some sort of pressure to win?
Come on you know exactly why coach Z is defensive lately and thats understandable with a close lost that came down to 4 missed Garcia field goals. I was in the locker room after the game and coach Z did not take the easy way out by pointing the finger even though its obvious the bengals had a W through the uprights. With all the pressure to win, hands down it was a great performance besides a few crucial mistakes...aka kicks..

SportsMan said:
With all the pressure to win, hands down it was a great performance besides a few crucial mistakes...aka kicks..

What about the offense's inability - AGAIN - to find the endzone? With just one offensive TD, the Bengals wouldn't have had to worry about even one FG. What about the team's 54 yard net rushing effort?

The way I see and remember it, Garcia cost ISU a chance in OT, and that's it. The way ISU's offense was playing, I couldn't see them making it into the endzone in OT. The last one at 55 yards would have been tough for any kicker. What about ISU getting sacked - AGAIN - and moving the ball that much further back for the kicker earlier that quarter?

I heard the interview, and he started to yell at Freeman out of frustration. He should have been upset, because this program's glaring offensive deficiency came to full light last night. That still doesn't make his little tantrum any more acceptable. He should have refused the post-game interview (most fans would have understood), or he should have sent out another coach.

Granted the offense didn't score, but you can't miss chip shot field goals. 45 and out, you get some slack, you can't miss those close ones though. What’s wrong with our offense? With Moore playing RB most the night we had Krosch, Rumble, and Austin playing WR. By the way Rumble; if you would learn to catch with your hands rather than your body you would stop dropping so many passes. Right now we are running two possession receivers and a walk-on who is as good as any receiver on the team. Without Burel we have no deep threat. Weber played eight in the box all night as everyone has against us. We answer by tighten it up more using two tightends both on the line and playing next to the tackle, I assume for protection purposes to try running and passing the ball. This brings even more people into the box. Then we try running straight at it with our smallest back, makes sense to me. Maybe the spread type offenses Orthman and Barnum ran were not such bad ideas. Barnum’s offense was one of the best in the league until Lewis decided to protect his defense by trying to become a running team. Sound familiar, just what we are doing right now with Zamberlin. What is it with defensive coaches that they cannot understand you cannot sacrifice one side of the ball for the other and make your team better? Smart recruiting and balance is what makes a team better. The problem now; Zamberlin is in the fourth year of his contract and does not have enough time to fix the damage he and his staff have done personnel wise. By bad recruiting and even a worst decision making process, Zamberlin has taken the team to a level that will take at least five years to recover from. First we will have to recover from his APR issues, second we will have to bring in better talent. Bringing in better talent will take time because there are so many needs and only so many kids you can bring in each year. I don't believe ISU can stick with Zamberlin simply because staying with him will only lower moral for fans and players. With a change there will be some hope for the future. There is no hope in staying with Zamberlin.

bengalcub said:
It was after the Cal Poly game in 2008 on the video version of the Bengal review. In fact, he made a specific reference to the Bengal Den--calling it by name. I know, I remember our conversation and we were both surprised.

The worst rant came after a BengalDen posted called the teams showing in Oklahoma an embarrassment on the coaches show. Zamberlin, went off saying that he didn't need folks like him as fans and that anybody who was not with the team and in full support was not a fan that he cared about ever coming to an ISU game again.

Yes, I took a bit of heat for that one. I said something like: I would like to thank Z and the AD for making my Alma mater look like SHERT! Votb, then asked Z about the comment on air. Obviously, he was cornered and his reaction was similar to his recent exchange with Freeman; he lashed out. I also said this after Z's comment (RE: you're not Bengal fans) I've been a Bengal fan most of my life and I will be one long after he's gone (despite my self-imposed hiatus).

Hopefully, a new leader and new direction will bring yourself and other fans back into FT support of the program.

Wow. That's a very interesting dynamic he's got going there with the people covering his team as well as the fans of the team. When you have a program and coaching scheme that is producing 3 net rushing yards against Portland St., there is going to be some disgruntled fans. Just focus on your team, your recruiting, and your gameplanning. Don't worry about verbally sparring with people who support the University and sports programs. Sheesh

The offense was terrible, as per usual. The defense made some big plays, which made it look brighter than it was. This game was sloppy and hard to watch. The offense made the defenses performance look really great. I saw a defense give up big chunks of yards. The Weber offense racked up nearly 400 yards. About even run/pass. That doesn't work. The wildcats, as much as I hate to admit it, gave ISU every chance to win. 120 penalty yards for the purple team cost them several red zone trips. Turnovers by Higgins and co. eliminated other chances. While not as bad as the offense, just slightly, the defense definitely didn't do itself any favors. After ISU went up 13-10, they drove right down the field with ease... Make no mistake about it, the wildcats handed us a golden opportunity, and we couldn't get out of our own way.

I didn't hear the interview, but it doesn't surprise me. Zamberlin is just a quality individual who doesn't do any wrong. It isn't his fault that the offense in anemic. It isn't his fault that the defense is porous. The only truth is this, he is doing a marvelous job nobody appreciates it. And that is why the team is doing so poorly, because they don't appreciate his integrity, selflessness, true bengal spirit, or humility. Come on everyone, just look the other way while he makes 120 large. He is truely rebuilding this program in the only correct and proper manner. Full of trust, loyalty, integrity, and so forth.

Tech, Cub, Roar, Humble, and all you long time and true Bengals. Keep that united finger up in the air in defense of the true good for this ISU program.

One excuse Z cannot make... Not being able to afford a For Sale sign. Not to Zamberphony- Go down to ACE Hardware. It is close to campus, so you won't waste much gas. Go in an ask for a House For Sale Sign. Put it in you front yard, pack up your bags. And get the h!!! outta pocatello. No questions asked, no one will say anything. Just get out of here. You have destroyed the team.

ISUDude said:
One excuse Z cannot make... Not being able to afford a For Sale sign. Not to Zamberphony- Go down to ACE Hardware. It is close to campus, so you won't waste much gas. Go in an ask for a House For Sale Sign. Put it in you front yard, pack up your bags. And get the h!!! outta pocatello. No questions asked, no one will say anything. Just get out of here. You have destroyed the team.

This post just reminds me of a quote by a coach at BSU while I was growing up who said something after his first season there (3-8 record I believe) to the effect of: if we have another season like that, you won't have to worry about firing me. Whether he would have made good on that, we'll never know (they were in the national title game the next yr if memory serves me correctly... I don't want to do research). I respect a coach for that.

Accountability was there. He placed it squarely on his shoulders and basically said if we can't win, I'll move over to let you pick someone who can. There was no finger pointing, no excuses, and no coasting. He understood that he is ultimately the person responsible for the play on the field and that is crucial in a coach. If your players aren't making plays, you either have the wrong players in the program or you are not fitting your system to your players. Either way, the coach is responsible. I believe his frank accountability was a large reason they won the next yr. He changed his recruiting strategy and adjusted his coaching, because he pointed the finger at himself.

It really seems like that is missing right now... then again, my wife seems to think I've been wrong once or twice before, so who knows

Latest posts

Back