• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Pre-Game Thoughts

Skippy

Some thoughts in advance of tonight's game with Dickinson State, the last home game until the Dec. 12 matchup with Utah Valley:

--Gary Chivichyan was brought in to shoot, and that he has done: he's 7 for 10 from the arc, including the one exhibition game he played in. But he showed a broader range of skills in Friday night's win over Great Falls -- 5 rebounds, two assists, a block and a steal with no turnovers in 15 minutes of play. He gives the Bengals a nice energy boost off the bench.

--Clint Nwosuh is struggling mightily -- he's made one of his last 15 field goal attempts. But he, like Chivichyan and Ali Faruq-Bey, was recruited as a shooter and I don't expect him to stop shooting. The good news about this year's Bengal team is they have three or four guys who can shoot you right back into a game -- like Faruq-Bey did Friday night against Great Falls. (We won't go into that part about, well you know, how they can shoot you right of a game, too...).

--7-foot Novak Topalovic has taken only 6 shots in three games so far, but you have to give him credit for discretion -- he's made four, including a picturesque jump hook Friday night. The door is barely cracked on this young's man's potential. But potential is such a dangerous word...

--Justin Smith is a helluva an athlete. He came into ISU as one its best athletes, and now that's he's fully healthy again, watching him run and jump is an awesome sight. Even more awesome was watching him square up with confidence and hit a big three-pointer at a key juncture of the Great Falls game. The biggest improvement most players make is from their first to their second seasons -- Justin is right on schedule.

--As is Geno Luzcando, who followed his 22-point effort against Westminster with a 12-point (all in the second-half), 8 rebound, three assist, three steal game against Great Falls. Nobody has quicker hands on defense than Geno. Now he's starting to show maturity on the offensive side. He still has to overcome his foul tendencies (12 in three games, including two DQs) and turnover issues (four against Great Falls), but Geno looks like an entirely different player from his freshman year.

--As a team, ISU has to figure out how to hold onto the basketball. 55 turnovers in three games, including 20 against Great Falls, is going to lose you a lot of basketball games. Great Falls took 18 more shots than the Bengals on Friday night, thanks to 18 offensive rebounds and 20 ISU turnovers. The problem is spread up and down the ISU roster. The Bengal coaching staff is going to have to figure out how to continue to press the offensive pace without coughing up the basketball on almost a third of their possessions.

--Game time is 7 p.m. at Reed Gym tonight, come on out and watch the continuing evolution of the Bengals.

Will be watching and hoping for bright spots this season. Too many young and inexperienced kids for me to get very excited this early. It was nice to see Gary come in and play well and it was good to see Ali carry the team on his back in the 2nd half.

Hopefully, we will have some audio with the video tonight. Good video and audio together seem to be something that Idaho State struggles to put together.

I notice the start time listed on EverSport is 8:05 MT -- hope that doesn't mean we miss the first half...

Why is it when I click on another Big Sky school's game, I get to see and hear it? Why does ISU always have some glitch involved..?

At least Madison Guernsey of the ISJ is tweeting from the game and including some of his own video...

https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SLCBengal said:
Why is it when I click on another Big Sky school's game, I get to see and hear it? Why does ISU always have some glitch involved..?

At least Madison Guernsey of the ISJ is tweeting from the game...

https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C'mon you know...short on funds and understaffed... :D

You expect more give more, brotha!!

Valley Bengal said:
Audio link works, but eversport doesn't have video up. So we'll they go live at 8:05?

I think it depends on whether they collect enough in the hat being passed around...

Looks like Luzcando is doing great tonight:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ/status/666440841905369088[/tweet]

Entertaining game, although I don't know how much the Bengals benefitted from the competition. ISU sets a school record with 17 treys (on a school record 38 attempts), Telfair has a terrific game and Brandon Boyd puts on a ball handling exhibition in his debut. Not great D by the Bengals (gave up 40 points in the paint and 28 free throws). Now the fun is over, off to Wazzu Friday night.

Listened to the game tonight, and it's encouraging by the number of players who have potential. That may not mean much this year, and the D wasn't good, but I don't recall a time when there's been a basketball team with a number of players who have the potential to each lead scoring on any given night. I'm sure the quality of opponent inflated things tonight, but it still looks encouraging should they all remain 1, 2, even 3 years from now.

P.S. Brad, you guys were talking about that 107-106 Sac St game. It took place in Pocatello in Reed. I remember that game well, and Doug stepped down just a week or so after it. As I recall, you were broadcasting the game with Dave or Russ?

JJB said:
Listened to the game tonight, and it's encouraging by the number of players who have potential. That may not mean much this year, and the D wasn't good, but I don't recall a time when there's been a basketball team with a number of players who have the potential to each lead scoring on any given night. I'm sure the quality of opponent inflated things tonight, but it still looks encouraging should they all remain 1, 2, even 3 years from now.

P.S. Brad, you guys were talking about that 107-106 Sac St game. It took place in Pocatello in Reed. I remember that game well, and Doug stepped down just a week or so after it. As I recall, you were broadcasting the game with Dave or Russ?
Your memory is much better than mine, but I do recall it now. Thanks for the memory jog!

Saw the game tonight. Lots of interesting pieces to the ISU puzzle for this season. Ball handling, quickness, and ability to shoot the ball, all seem to be vastly improved from last year. Now they start playing with the big boys, but I'm encouraged for the coming Big Sky season if they continue to learn and improve together before the conference games start. I think the old formula for beating ISU of sitting in a tight zone and not contesting the 3 because no one can shoot with any accuracy will no longer work. I'm not saying we are championship bound, but Pocatello should no longer be considered the practice game before the real game starts in Ogden.

I have not been able to attend a live game but from what video I have seen and the talk on here we do seem much improved from last year. We have the ability to score but I think defense especially inside will be the downfall this year. But the talk is good and I believe this will be our year to finally make it to the BSC tournament! ;)

NewBengFan said:
I have not been able to attend a live game but from what video I have seen and the talk on here we do seem much improved from last year. We have the ability to score but I think defense especially inside will be the downfall this year. But the talk is good and I believe this will be our year to finally make it to the BSC tournament! ;)

The Bengal interior game will be severely tested Friday by Washington State, and 6-10 Josh Hawkinson, who led the nation in defensive rebounding, the PAC-12 in overall rebounding, and averaged 15 points a game last year. They have plenty of other size and bulk as well -- 7 footer Jordan Railey, 6-10 Valentine Izundu, and three "small forwards" who are all 6-7, 240. Then we get Utah and 7-0 Jakob Poeltl, who is expected to be a first-round NBA draft choice, on Nov. 27.

After giving up 40 points in the paint vs. Dickinson State, there is clearly a lot of room for improvement defensively. Keeping the ISU "bigs" (Topalovic, Ingram, Lennox and Smith) on the floor and out of foul trouble will be the first priority. Then comes rebounding and interior D against high quality teams. The evolution of this young team continues.

NewBengFan said:

I believe ISU will make the BSC tourney this year also....since every team makes it now, you are already correct in your prediction NewBengFan....

Latest posts

Back