• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Pre-season evaluation

Skippy

So I just filled out my pre-season ballot for the Big Sky Conference and, while I'm not going to tell you in what order I voted the teams, I will share my thought process about each team, just to stimulate a little conversation during this "dead time." Here are my thoughts about each team, in no particular order:

Idaho State: might as well start with the home team. When I evaluate teams for these pre-season polls, I usually look at these particular factors: coach's track record, schedule, "stars" who are returning, and quarterback situation. Looking at ISU, the Bengals are in good shape with a coach who has won four Big Sky titles over the years, and 55 percent of his league games; their schedule is extremely difficult with only five homes games and two FBS teams on the road; they have some potential impact "stars" returning in Tavoy Moore, Josh Hill and AJ Storms; and their quarterback situation is in flux, with an unproven JC transfer in Kevin Yost and no experienced backups. The real question for me is can the Bengal defense stop folks, particularly since their "fast break" offense is going to ask them to be on the field for large percentages of the game.

Northern Colorado: The Bears have a new coach, Earnest Collins, who was only 8-12 in his two years as head man at Alcorn State; a quarterback who completed only 52 percent of his passes; a decent schedule with six home games and no more than two back-to-back road games; and an excellent pass-catching duo of Jace Davis and Patrick Williams returning. They do lose three defensive stalwards in LB John Eddy, S Matt King and CB Korey Askew.

Portland State: The Vikings' only Big Sky victory last year was over Idaho State under first-year coach Nigel Burton, and yet PSU is something of a shiek pick as a darkhorse this year. Why? Well, they return a whopping 20 starters, including their entire offensive line, a competant QB in Connor Kavanaugh and their entire defensive backfield. PSU led the league in rushing last year (203 yards a game) and Cory McCaffrey, their top runner, also returns. The Vikings play six games in their newly-remodelled downtown stadium, including two winnable contests to start the season against Southern Oregon and NAU.

Montana State: The co-conference champs return one of the best QBs in the league in sophomore DeNarius McGhee, the reigning coach of the year in Rob Ash (66 percent career winning percentage in Big Sky games) and 13 starters on both sides of the football. They also have a favorable schedule, with six home games, including big games against defending national champion Eastern Washington and rival Montana. But there are issues in Bozeman -- star running back Orenzo Davis was dismissed from the team, and McGhee sat out spring ball while recuperating from a foot injury. McGhee's health is critical to this team's success.

Northern Arizona: When you look at NAU and Coach Jerome Souers, there are two thoughts that go through your mind: longevity (Souers is the longest tenured coach at one BSC school in history -- 14 years) and inconsistency (He has won 47 percent of his conference games in those 14 years). The Axers are always safe picks to finish .500 in the league (they were 4-4 again last year), and this year looks pretty much the same. They have stars like RB Zach Baumann (1059 yards and 14 TDS last year) and DE Isaac Bond (first-team all-BSC), but they have to replace Michael Herricks, one of the best QBs in the nation last year. They get six games at home, including against perennial contenders EWU and Montana and three of their last four Big Sky games.

Montana: I will admit this is one of the few times I have NOT voted the Griz No. 1 in the pre-season poll. Montana has an inexperienced head coach heading into only his second season on the job, and they are looking for a starting QB. What will keep them in the race are 1) a favorable schedule with six home games, including EWU in Missoula and no more than 1 road game in a row: and 2) a defense that returns stars like Trumaine Johnson and Jordan Tripp and that led the league in every meaningful statistical category last year.

Eastern Washington: The Eagles have two huge advantages: a coach in Beau Baldwin who has won 75 percent of his league games (18-6), and a quarterback in Bo Levi Mitchell who led his team to a national championship. They also return stars like defensive lineman Renard Williams and the Johnson boys, Matt and Zac, two of the better defenders in the league. But again, all is not perfect in the land of the red turf: EWU loses an All-American on each side of the football (RB Taiwan Jones and LB J.C. Sherritt), and their schedule is horrific. It's almost unbelievable that the defending national champs will have only FOUR home games. They open the season at Washington, South Dakota and Montana and close it with road games at Cal Poly and Idaho State. If EWU wins the conference again this year, they will have EARNED it.

Sacramento State: Another "trendy pick" to move up the ladder this year, the Hornets' high-powered offense averaged almost 37 points a game over their last seven games last year, and lost to EWU on the road by only four points. QB Jeff Fleming, who basically walked on campus the week camp opened and took charge after transferring from New Mexico, will be a key figure again this year, as he tries to rebound from an elbow injury. DE Zach Nash is an all-American and Bengal killer Bryan Hilliard returns at RB. In order to stay in the race, however, the Hornets have to overcome a schedule that puts them on the road for the first three weeks of the season, and five of the first six.

Weber State: The Wildcats lose an experienced QB in Cam Higgins who, mysteriously, saw his career decline over time, rather than improve. Junior Mike Hoke will get the chance to step up and, while he may not provide the same kind of magic Higgins did early in his WSU career, he may be able to give the kind of consistency Higgins could not. WSU also returns two all-BSC defenders in DT Ryan Eastman (who transferred BACK from Hawaii) and LB Nick Webb, and two all-conference OL in Caleb Turner and JC Oram. More importantly, they return a coach in Ron McBride who has won 62 percent of his conference contests.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us Skippy.

I think this team is going to be noticeably better than it has been in recent years. A new staff, new schemes a new QB will make this task difficult from a wins and loss perspective. ISU is not likely to challenge for a BSC crown, but right now they don't need to. IMHO, they need to provide an exciting product on the field, if they do that the fans will start to come back.

My thoughts on how the BSC will shake out and how ISU will fair against them:

1. Montana State (L)--I have a feeling that Montana State is really kicking things into gear. I think Montana is in chase mode with the Bobcats for the foreseeable future.

2. Eastern Washington (L)--Obviously, Eastern is a favorite and could easily be the BSC champion. I just have a Bobcat feeling this season.

3. Sacramento State (L)--Sac State looked so physical to me in Pocatello. I see them taking the next step.

4. Montana (W)--I will go so far as to say that ISU can beat these guys. This will be the game that ISU and Pocatello will point to as proof that things are moving in the right direction.

5. Northern Arizona (L)--this program should be so much better and more consistent than they have been. For some reason the Axers cannot be a consistent threat at the top of the BSC.

6. Portland State (W)--the Vikings may finish higher than ISU--but they will get beat in Pocatello. I like what the new staff at PSU is doing. They are getting some talented kids.

7. Idaho State--I think three conference wins and four total wins overall is an attainable goal for the Bengals this fall. Not only that, I think ISU will be as competitive as they have been in recent memory.

8. Weber State (W/L)--Road Breakthrough for Idaho State? I think Weber State is fading fast and I see problems on the horizon for they Royal Purple. ISU hasn't won in Ogden since I was a little chap, this could be the year. Still a toss up for me.

9. Northern Colorado (W)--if for no other reason, hiring a HC so late in the process has got to leave some hangover in the Bear program. They were beatable last year in Greeley and they are definitely beatable in Pocatello.

That is about exactly how I see the season shaping up, cub.. Right around 4-5 wins with some close exciting contests.. I bet the home opener vs. Western State will have 8,000+ due to the new staff, excitement & new turf.. If we could win 1 or 2 road games and go 4-1 or even 3-2 at home, I'd be happy.

I that ISU will be a dangerous team this year especially if they can get any sort of blocking from your offensive line. Biggest obstacle for ISU is learning how to win and doing it on a consistent basis. NAU is a terrific example of team with all the talent in the world but they have never been consistent.

I think that MSU definitely is a playoff caliber team this year but the Big Sky is always a struggle. The one thing that I think Coach Kramer started and Coach Ash has now done has brought a consistency of approach from a game to game basis that leads to conference championship runs. A good example of this is that all scholarship players remained in Bozeman over the summer for offseason workouts.

Good luck this season (just not against MSU).

bengalcub said:
Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us Skippy.

I think this team is going to be noticeably better than it has been in recent years. A new staff, new schemes a new QB will make this task difficult from a wins and loss perspective. ISU is not likely to challenge for a BSC crown, but right now they don't need to. IMHO, they need to provide an exciting product on the field, if they do that the fans will start to come back.

My thoughts on how the BSC will shake out and how ISU will fair against them:

1. Montana State (L)--I have a feeling that Montana State is really kicking things into gear. I think Montana is in chase mode with the Bobcats for the foreseeable future.

2. Eastern Washington (L)--Obviously, Eastern is a favorite and could easily be the BSC champion. I just have a Bobcat feeling this season.

3. Sacramento State (L)--Sac State looked so physical to me in Pocatello. I see them taking the next step.

4. Montana (W)--I will go so far as to say that ISU can beat these guys. This will be the game that ISU and Pocatello will point to as proof that things are moving in the right direction.

5. Northern Arizona (L)--this program should be so much better and more consistent than they have been. For some reason the Axers cannot be a consistent threat at the top of the BSC.

6. Portland State (W)--the Vikings may finish higher than ISU--but they will get beat in Pocatello. I like what the new staff at PSU is doing. They are getting some talented kids.

7. Idaho State--I think three conference wins and four total wins overall is an attainable goal for the Bengals this fall. Not only that, I think ISU will be as competitive as they have been in recent memory.

8. Weber State (W/L)--Road Breakthrough for Idaho State? I think Weber State is fading fast and I see problems on the horizon for they Royal Purple. ISU hasn't won in Ogden since I was a little chap, this could be the year. Still a toss up for me.

9. Northern Colorado (W)--if for no other reason, hiring a HC so late in the process has got to leave some hangover in the Bear program. They were beatable last year in Greeley and they are definitely beatable in Pocatello.
Talk about wishful thinking, why exactly are you thinking Weber has a lot of problems? I would be willing to have a friendly wager on the game in Ogden on Oct 15th.

Talk about wishful thinking, why exactly are you thinking Weber has a lot of problems? I would be willing to have a friendly wager on the game in Ogden on Oct 15th.

Wishful thinking by believing this game is a 50/50 toss up? ISU took the Cats to the wire last season and I don't see Weber State with the same talent and depth that they have had the past 2-3 seasons. Almost every season someone ends up way better than expected and someone ends up way worse than expected. This year, I just happen to have a feeling that Weber State takes a step backwards. Problems being sub .500 records in the near future. Then again I have been wrong a few times--just not often. :D

Latest posts

Back