• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Punter Anyone?

bengalguy

Before I say anything else I just want to say I love C.J. Reyes. He's done everything that has been asked of him as a Bengal and performed pretty well in everything he's been called upon to do. This post has nothing to do with C.J. but is an open question to Bengal fans.

Would you like to see a traditional style punter kicking for the Bengals?

I long for the days of Case deBruijn. I know it was a different time and maybe a different game. The Bengals were winning at the time, but it was so nice to know that no matter where on the field a Bengal drive stalled you knew that deBruijn would blast a punt out and reverse/maintain field position for the Bengals.

I know that deBruijn was exceptional, and you can't expect a punter to come along like that very often, but man I'd like to see a fair catch after a punt of 45-50 yards! Instead, I'm holding my breath as the punter runs out to the side of the formation, kicks a low line drive punt, first hoping that it doesn’t get blocked, and then hoping that the returner doesn't get a great bounce to catch the ball and run it back for a touchdown. For me that’s way too much excitement in the punting game.

We play in a dome for crying out loud! Let's take advantage of that and kick the ball high and deep and forget about returns!

Just one fans opinion.

Bengal:

Well for what it's worth Mike has said he'll never recruit a "traditional" punter again. He doesn't want to give a scholarship to someone who can only do that one item.

Not saying that's wrong or right, just that he's expressed his feeling pretty strongly on that situation.

PBP

I know Coach Kramer went with the roll punt the last two season because he did have a traditional punter and did not have a long snapper. This year he has a good long snapper but he does not have a traditional punter. I do not know if I like the roll punt over the traditional punt but it does bring some interest into the game on 4th downs.

Coach Kramer did in fact say that as long as he's coach here, then he'll never waste a scholarship on a punter. And ISU has had some excellent punters here, and here's why. Because when traditional punters punt the ball in an indoor stadium they can usually get their numbers up because there's no wind. Also, when you look at how bad of a FB tradition that we've had here, punters like it when the offenses have a difficult time moving the ball because then they'll have a lot more chances to punt. And Idaho's been in the same boat that we've been in for some time, and they've had some very good punters as well. Last year they had the number 1 punter in the country, Austin Rehkow. And he was only a freshman last year.

I do not get it. We gave walk-ons scholarships that did not play much to increase our APR rating for 3 years but we could not give a scholarship to a good high school punter with a high GPA? I believe our current long snapper has a partial scholarship according to past readings so why not offer a traditional punter a partial scholarship as well and give the other partial scholarship to a deserving walk-on with a high GPA to increase our APR rating? Who is going to punt for us next season, maybe an offensive linemen that can punt a bouncer toward the sidelines?

Personally I think scholarshiping a punter admits defeat to a team that is struggling. I would rather have a mediocre wide out or running back than a building full of fans that like to watch the offense fail so they can see a booming punt. Just saying

We all know why coach Kramer went with a roll punter the last two years but a traditional punter is more effective than a roll punter. CJ Reyes is a good roll punter and a good all around athlete. Hopefully, the ball bounces for distance and there is no returns during Big Sky competition.

Bengal_believer said:
Personally I think scholarshiping a punter admits defeat to a team that is struggling. I would rather have a mediocre wide out or running back than a building full of fans that like to watch the offense fail so they can see a booming punt. Just saying

Using that logic why would a team punt at all?? We don't want to "admit defeat" so let's just keep the offense on the field until/if they turn the ball over on downs - we sure don't want to admit defeat.

Punting the ball is not admitting defeat it's a very strategic part of the game and can be used as a very effective offensive weapon. Again, that's just my opinion and coach Kramer knows a lot more about football than I ever will. Having a roll out punter will not affect my support of the team and I too will hope and cheer for the best results from the punting scheme that he's using.

There actually is a high school coach in Arkansas (profiled in Sports Illustrated) who hasn't punted in two or three years.

He's done a statistical analysis that has shown the odds on you converting on 4th down and eventually scoring are higher than giving the ball up and stopping an opponent.

That seems strange to me but apparently it works for him and his program.

PBP

Latest posts

Back