• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Recruiting Disappointment

Why Kramer did not recruit and sign another JUCO or obtain a Step Down QB is a risky move and disappointment in my opinion. How are we better than last season at the QB positions with the loss of Sanders? I am not saying Gueller or other QB's will not play well but we have little experience at the QB position. That is a lot of pressure for these young QB's to perform well as Kramer demands his starting QB to perform well.

Tanner had one redshirt year learning the offense. He then had an additional year as back up QB to Sanders. (And played ALOT for a back up)
That's pretty normal for a D1 QB. Tanners back up will be Robert Kinvsland who has one year learning the offense.
I like getting g away from the rotation of ALWAYS needing an "at need" QB.

I understand your thoughts about getting away from a JUCO or Step Down QB. I am for that too but not this season as Tanner and the backup QB's are still inexperienced. Remember, we our a passing team and it is all about how our QB performs. Sanders and Tanner were both injured last season, Tanner getting injured in the last game against Weber State. At the time, it was mentioned Tanner may not participate during Spring Ball due to his shoulder injury. So, if Tanner was unavailable for any game or games during the 2016 season than what? We would be back to the same situation as the 2015 season, probably starting a redshirt freshmen QB in Kinvsland. I just do not see the QB situation going into the 2016 season being better than the 2015 season. If Kramer signed a JUCO QB at least there would be some depth and more experience and let the best man win the QB position.

It is how the QB plays, you are correct. It's hard to decide when to cut the juco or drop down trend at ISU. I was all for Tanner being the QB last year... sure it's a total risk, but it's gotta happen sometime. Turns out last year wouldn't have been a bad year to do it... couldn't have been much worse. Lol
I think they will work out Trae Pilster at QB as well. He was recruited as a QB.
That's Trae Pilster, Robert Kinvsland, the 2 new recruits, and Tanner. Maybe even the Kid that walked on from Weber last year and redshirted. No one ever talked about him, but he looked decent in early practices. (Zach Larsen)
ALSO, didn't I recently hear Kramer talking about Tom Jewel taking snaps as QB in this coming spring ball?

Plenty of Depth, we just have to hope Tanner has it down now.... (And hope Kinvsland learned a lot last year red shirting)

I like the recruiting and signing of players from Kramer other than not going after a transfer QB. I did not say the transfer QB would be the starter but the transfer would bring some experience to the QB position. If Tanner is unavailable or does not play well than at least you have an experienced QB coming into the game. How can you bring in an unexperienced QB into games and expect to have a winning season? Percentages are very low in this conference.

Solution = run the damm rock. If you establish any kind of a power running game then the live or die (3 and out) passing concerns are a mute point. Establishing the run allows YOU to control the clock not the other team. I sure hope the new OC is allowed to be very creative on offense ( mis-directions, bootlegs, vertical tight end slants, and yes TRICK plays ). Let's keep opposing defenses guessing each and every play. That and a solid D consistently wins games. God bless ISU football. :D :nod:

With Finney graduating the running game will be less as Kramer is all about the no huddle offense and passing as many times as you can. Amazing to see that the top teams signed 3 transfer QB's in Southern Utah, Montana, and Montana State. They understand that experience at the QB position helps win Championships in the Big Sky. We had two experienced QB's at the end of the 2015 season but Sanders decided to transfer after the Weber State game so that leaves us with a Red Shirt sophomore in Tanner with a little bit of experience and his backup QB's with no experience. Kramer must feel that his QB's are experienced enough to have a winning season and compete for a BSC Championship. I tend to disagree.

I agree that it would be nice to have an experienced backup QB. How many starting QBs make it through a season uninjured? And right now ISU has no experienced depth. By the same token, recruiting isn't over so there is always the possibility of picking up a transfer between now and fall camp. It's a tough situation to recruit to unless you make it clear any transfer will be given an even shot at competing for the starting job. No upperclassman is going to transfer into a situation where they don't think they're going to be given a shot to play immediately.

If Kramer is going to continue his NFL passing spread high octane pass only offense then we already know our answer ( wins will continue to be sparodic at best, even with a seasoned NFL caliber QB).. College football offense is not the NFL spread nor pro-set. Has anyone noticed that the most successful college teams have proven RUN offenses driven by both the QB and backfield. Yes the athletic running QB is more prone to injury but if you have the proper athletic depth than next man up. Kramer is betting the farm (live or die) on a pass only offense which will NOT produce consistant successful results. Every year now defenses can read us like a book week in and week out. It's really sad watching the play calling as my blind grandmother can predict the play call and adjust the defense. Very embarrassing. By the way, Kramer can and does recruit very well. Thus, it is NOT the caliber of athletes in the program it is the coaching ability (position competence level ) from top to bottom. For ISU football the old saying is still true for now - "An athlete is a terrible thing to waste"...
Hopefully the existing staff (especially Kramer) can improve their coaching abilities ASAP and put the players in a better position to be successful on the field. Time will tell. God bless ISU football .... :nod: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No one will ever accuse me of being an Xs and Os kind of guy, so I won't argue about play calling with anybody: pro or con. I will say I think the argument about ISU being a pass only offense is often over simplified. Two seasons ago Finney ran for almost 1500 yards. Last year, despite his injuries, X had almost 900 yards. And Jakori Ford was productive in Finney's absence. Next year Ford returns, Flanagan gets his first shot at playing time (he was a VERY highly regarded recruit) and Andrew Grimes, the incoming freshman from Washington will likely get some opportunities.

It's true that early in the Kramer-Bailey era, ISU virtually forfeited the run game, but I think a lot of that had to do with a lack of talent on the front line and in the backfield. If the Bengals get execution from the QB position, I think you'll see plenty of running the football next year. If not, then teams can simply load the box again and make the Bengals one dimensional.

Without a credible run game threat, the opponents D just pins its ears back and kills the QB. Run to set up the pass, pass to set up the run. Keep the D guessing. When there is no doubt, they tee off.

Jakori Ford, Ty Flanagan, and Lonell Woodhouse are all returning players that are going to be AWSOME at the run game. Add in the new running backs we recruited and
I feel we will always be fresh at RB.
BTW, Lonell Woodhouse is going to make a BIG name for himself. (Along with Flanagan of course)
THE RUN GAME IS COVERED PEOPLE.
...oh one more thing. Tanner is more of a running QB than people realize. He's pretty fast for a bigger bodied QB. And the best thing about that, is he runs even when Kramer tells him not to. He's going to often be like the kid in basketball that throws up the 3 ball and the coach is like "NO!"....Swish! Then the coach sarts clapping and yells... "Nice shot!" (Nice run Tanner Gueller)

Solid recruiting class in my opinion.

ISU had two D-Lineman leave the program, one DB, one QB, one offensive player is ineligible and one player got arrested. So, in essence four players CHOSE to go elsewhere. Hardly the mass exodus that some folks had predicted.

I expect a few more to be shown the door after spring ball and at least a few more JC transfers.

Kramer is betting the farm that Tanner will have a great year and will be healthy throughout the entire season. We all know that is not true from the 2015 season because Tanner was injured in the Weber State game and never returned back into the game. If Tanner was injured at the beginning of the 2016 season Tanner would have been out for most of the season and Kramer would be starting another Red Shirt freshmen QB.

As far as a transfer QB coming into the program for the 2016 season that will not happen because Kramer did not pursue a transfer QB during the off season when he lost Sanders. I hope Kramer does not blame his QB's this season for the team losses as he had a chance to obtain another experienced transfer QB during the off season to improve his team play at the QB position. Did you read about the transfer QB's transferring into Montana, Montana State, and Southern Utah? Wow... That is recruiting and that is why these teams are always contending at the end of the season.

We recruited a JUCO transfer last year... how'd that work out for the QB performance and the win column?
I like building the young QB's.
Sanders showed our offense needs to be learned as a redshirt, then executed.
Justin Arias showed that too... he redshirted too. Tanner now has 2 years learning the offense. How much more does he need? Sure, Robert Kinvsland only has the one redshirt year as the back up, but that situation was created by James Delacenserie giving up football. Then we went out and got a few more QB's.

It did not work out too well because Kramer did not sign a Transfer QB to Red Shirt going into Arias senior year or the 2014 season. Then Kramer brings in a JUCO transfer QB in Sanders for Fall Ball of 2015 because he did not want to start a Red Shirt freshmen in Gueller. Kramer created his own QB problem last season and it would appear he has done it again going into the 2016 season.

I would agree with most of that. But I still would like SOME HOW to get away from the at need QB transfer. Let's home this roll of the dice does that for us this year.
...keep in mind though, that Bailey didn't want a drop down or transfer QB that's why we had a last second transfer.

Latest posts

Back