• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Recruiting for '09

916bengal

At what positions must we be recruiting for this offseason? And what types of players should we be looking for? Anything different than what we have? :?:

Obviously, most defensive spots and possibly a JC QB? I really don't know what younger players we have - could someone with some knowledge respond. Let's stay positive as a community and try to turn this around!

I'm guessing we will have about 18 schollies available.
I'm thinking 8-10 JC kids and the rest freshman.
Obvious priority is on D-Line.
I envision something like this:
Defense
4 dl-2 jc
3 cb-2 jc
3 lb-2 jc

Offense
2 qb- 1 jc
2 rb- 1 jc
2 wr- 1 jc
2 ol- 1 jc

Defense wins games, and defense wins championships.
Let's go get some proven players on the D that can contribute immediately because that is going to be necessary.
Hence, the need to go heavy JC again.
California is loaded with impact players in the jc ranks on defense. We just gotta get them up here.

I think we should begin building pipelines in the Midwest and maybe even the South (we have a few of them from out yonder)

Do any of the football coaches have connection in the midwest and south?

O'Brien seems to recruit well from those areas.

No, the ISU staff is very Northwest and California oriented, as are most Big Sky schools in football. ISU tries to maximize its recruiting budget by focusing on those areas.

Idaho, Utah, California and now strong ties in Washington--this will continue for the reason that Skippy stated. With that said, I have heard of a push into Hawaii as well. Not sure how they can do it from a budget standpoint, but we will see. ISU came very close to getting 2-3 players from the islands last winter.

Zamberlin will need to go JC heavy--I expect 10-12 to be signed with 5-7 kids in for the Spring. Idaho State will need to be more successful getting the JC kids on the field and contributing. They cannot afford to invest so much resources to get such limited production from JC transfers.

If they cannot improve the defensive line NOW--they will not be in a position to compete at all next season.

Let's get some Idaho kids too, the ones who get passed over by the others. Can't hurt any.

JC's are good, but it's a gamble too. Those kids need a year (junior year) to become effective at the D-1 level; so in reality we get them for only one (their senior year).

Just bring in a whole bunch of willing, angry-as-hell freshman and we'll be fine, I think.

Cub I agree with you again! The jc's players that they recruited have not done a single thing for us. Superfan incoming freshman arent going to cut it

JC transfers will be ok and productive as long as we can:
Do our homework and get the right type of athletes
Get players that fit their system and address specific position needs
Give them fair opportunity to earn playing time
Keep commitments made to players when they were recruited
And....
Don't have them here for 7 months before telling them they are ineligible.

Latest posts

Back