• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

RECRUITING FOR WHAT POSITIONS ???....

clawsout

...I'm curious....what are the positions you folks think we should be going after in this recruiting period ?... :coffee:

Secondary should be the main focus. Just looking at the Big Sky stats and where we fell short overall, we need some pass defense help. We had some good safety play this year with Adkin, but he needs some solid back up. We're losing Skyler on O-line and Mario at LB, so hopefully some good depth for those areas. Martin is going to be a beast next year.

Last but not least, kickers! This area was make or break in some of our games this year. NC and MSU come to mind.

We have some strong talent coming back next year. Older, stronger, wiser, experienced, we lost very few starting seniors, even though they were key positions. I really think next year will be good for us. With TG as a Senior next season we'll need to start grooming a solid QB for the years to come.

We have three mission kids coming back next year, two JC olinemen committed and we only have nine kids graduating two of them kickers. Start with a kickers then fill our immediate need.

You want to win next season and be a contender? Send coaches down to SoCal and recruit some good JC players. Build a relationship with JC head coaches for future recruiting to fill in At Need positions right away. That is what Southern Utah does and their program seems to do well every season.

...we only have 9 graduating seniors....BUT what if the coaches do not renew some scholarships ?....we would then have more scholarships available ....if they are able to identify jucos...or freshmen ....that would be better than what we currently have....I believe that is correct.....

clawsout said:
...we only have 9 graduating seniors....BUT what if the coaches do not renew some scholarships ?....we would then have more scholarships available ....if they are able to identify jucos...or freshmen ....that would be better than what we currently have....I believe that is correct.....

There will be some players not returning but normally it is because the player wants to transfer or he is academically ineligible or is breaking team policy. I guess sometimes some players are not practing or playing up to expectations so the head coach does not renew their scholarship.

Players leaving because of grades is undesirable, those are the biggest hit on a team's APR. With this group I don't believe that has been a problem. Positions to look at: QB, we have four on scholarship and one walk-on. I believe we need to find a new school for two of them. Right now we have a drop back passer backed up by Sprint option QB, I see this as a problem. The other scholarships are with players like Tanner, Cash being most like him. Make up your mind on what you are running, when all you practice is stay in the pocket passing it makes it hard on the rest of the team to perform. Additionally, I was not sold on Amos at the QB position, average at best.

.....I think I would recruit a couple of REAL studs on the OL....maybe they will be coming in the form of "returned missionaries"....but that might be all we need ...as far as offense goes.....unless a great freshman QB prospect is found....and yes...kickers....

...BUT defense worries me big time....this past season....and several ones before...it looked to me as if we were just planning on outscoring whoever we played...with the potent offense we have coming back......I think we need to scour the juco ranks.....contact LOTS of jr colleges...and find the "baddest ass" players they have and recruit those kids....we HAVE TO get tougher quick everywhere....DL...secondary...someone mentioned that "Martin will be a beast next year"...BUT if we only have ONE beast they will double team him and still smoke us....we need lots of "beasts"....we could never get the third down stops when we had to have them....THAT has to change.....maybe we need to also look at the D coaches....just my two cents.....

I agree concerning the defense being an issue. My question; is the problem what we do defensively or is it personnel. I believe this question needs answer before we sale out in the JC market.

blackfootbengal said:
I agree concerning the defense being an issue. My question; is the problem what we do defensively or is it personnel. I believe this question needs answer before we sale out in the JC market.

Coach Phen will do what he needs to do to win games. Happy recruiting...

blackfootbengal said:

Good question BFB. I think it's personnel. I also think that you need to be able to apply pressure from the DEs to have a great or even good D in the BSC. Critical defensive positions.

bhumble said:
blackfootbengal said:

Good question BFB. I think it's personnel. I also think that you need to be able to apply pressure from the DEs to have a great or even good D in the BSC. Critical defensive positions.

I agree with your 3rd sentence bhumble. I am not going to blame the DE's solely though. I do know however to have an effective pass coverage defense you have to get bad ass pressure from the front guys. I used to be a defensive backfield coach. I was responsible for the pass coverage schemes weekly. Our head coach was also the defensive coordinator (he was a defensive assistant coach at Michigan when they won the title with charles woodson, and a defensive assistant at University of Arizona for Dick Tomey, defensive assistant at Long Beach State University for George Allen, and a Defensive line coach at James Madison University and Richmond University), when we would watch film together reviewing our defensive performance I would get mad at the DB's on film for allowing some big plays and he would say = "a lot of that is our fault up front, we gotta get home and get pressure on the QB, the ball has to come out quick". Or while we would watch film of our upcoming opponent and i would see vertical route combinations that would scare me and make me worried of a personnel mismatch downfield or a complex route combination etc etc and our coach would say to me = "Coach, its going to be ok, because the ball has to come out quick. we gotta get home, if we get home they cant complete those routes." That was a term I would hear him use ALL THE TIME. "The Ball Has To Come Out Quick." What that meant was that no matter what the qb has to be forced to get the ball out of his hands quickly by our pressure which eliminates the deep ball and the zone clearing routes. Now while i admit i was only a high school coach but our head coach/d coordinator was a former BIG TIME Division 1 college coach with a defensive background that was formed by many great coaches he gleaned from at the collegiate level so i think he knew what he was talking about and it was what he learned from his college experiences and passed on to me. Our defense the past two seasons RARELY and I mean RARELY get worrisome pressure on the QB. Think back to our games, the QB's are sitting in the pocket feeling comfortable and able to launch the vertical pass. Somehow in the Nevada game we got pressure on there QB and actually got some sacks and many many QB hurries where the qb was uncomfortable and had to throw under duress. I thought that was going to be a pattern for the season which would lead to a great defense. Think about it we held a FBS team to 28 points, which we only equaled ONE OTHER TIME ALL SEASON vs D1 competition (vs montana state). That Nevada game was the only game I remember seeing that pressure from us up front. I want to also follow all of that up by saying that next year I FULLY BELIEVE that Chance Salutregi and Rasheed Williams @ DE & Oshea Trujillo, Martin, Maola, Graves, Holland, K. Smith etc etc mixed with our interior guys can GET HOME and force the QB to "get the ball out quick". One more year of D1 football equals bigger, faster, stronger. future is bright

Kramer did not like recruiting JUCO's as he wanted to build the program with incoming freshman. He said in five or six years the program would be contending. Not happening folks. It is time for coach Phen to connect with some JUCO head coaches so he can start bringing these players into the program especially at the At Need positions. We should not be starting freshmen and sophomores unless they are great players. We need junior and seniors starting. They are stronger and more experienced players.

As it stands we have 20 juniors and 20 seniors next year. We committed two JC linemen already, I can't see us bringing in a mass signing of JC players unless we have several players leave.

Coach Phen himself said on a coaches' show this season that JUCO's also have to meet higher academic standards to get into ISU. I assume by that statement that he meant higher standards than incoming freshman from accredited high schools. Something to keep in mind.

PBP said:
Coach Phen himself said on a coaches' show this season that JUCO's also have to meet higher academic standards to get into ISU. I assume by that statement that he meant higher standards than incoming freshman from accredited high schools. Something to keep in mind.

Than we will continue to lose if he flakes out like Kramer did when he said JUCO schools is not worth his time and effort to visit. How many games did he win with his high school recruits? I think coach Phen knows he has to win now. He cannot wait 6 years down the road like Kramer.

Coach Phen is about to get a three year extension (new deal). He has plenty of time to build the program the way he wishes to.

blackfootbengal said:
We have three mission kids coming back next year, two JC olinemen committed and we only have nine kids graduating two of them kickers. Start with a kickers then fill our immediate need.

What's the story with the Redshirt Freshman kicker listed on your roster? Is he not set to take over next year or is the thinking he needs competition brought in?

Honestly I don't know, Parker both kicks and punts. Our punter graduates this year, I would think another punter is needed. I don't know Phen's thoughts on kickers, Kramer walked them on, then gave money later.

Latest posts

Back