• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Reed Gym

isusuperfan

Hey, you guys think we should host the 1st round game in Reed? It seems like we play much better there than the Holt. Forget sentimentality, I think we play better in Reed; the team seems to be much more comfortable there.

Much better and more fun for the fans - at least IMHO. Last night was the first time I attended a men's b-ball game in there and I thought it was 100% better than Holt. Facilities & space were at a premium and I can understand why the home games are not all in there. I really enjoyed it. Only thing that was exactly like the Holt was the unintelligible PA system. Not sure what the locker facilities are like but it looked like NAU opted to bus back to their hotel for a post game shower. It was nice and noisy and a great atmosphere.
I'm still amazed at how many ISU "fans" sit on their hands catatonically while the team is playing outstanding basketball. Unbelievable! It's gotta be an Eastern Idaho problem.

Reed holds about three thousand without the PEP band. Last night was the biggest crowd I have seen at Reed, the reason they went back to holt was attendance. We only average about 1800 to 2000 at Reed.

BlackfootBengal is right. The average home attendance for the last 3 seasons played at Reed was 2,018 (2003-04 season through 2005-06 season). This included the 2004-05 season average home attendance of 1,699.

Average home attendance the past 3 seasons (played in Holt) is 2,653. This past season saw an average home attendance of 2,742.

The argument is made that the average attendance the last few years would fit inside of Reed. The reality is, Reed isn't fan-friendly and it ultimately drives attendance down. Sure, it's a great environment when the gym is packed, but like BlackfootBengal said, that's rare. People will make a sacrifice for a game or two, but I know several people who stopped attending when all games were there. Concessions are bad. Restrooms are bad. Parking is worse (especially when games take place in sub-zero temperatures during December/January).

The difference in average home attendance for the past 3 seasons vs. the last 3 Reed seasons is 635. It may not seem like much, but considering there are 13-14 home games a season, that translates to almost $100,000 of revenue, give or take.

I thought the crowd was pretty good last night. Some fans may sit on their hands, but I have seen fans do that in Ogden, Missoula, Portland, Boise, Sacramento, Phoenix, and so on.

Beat UNC!

I've heard there were some season ticket holders that went home because they couldn't get upstairs in reed and thats the only place they would be allowed to go. Reed is nice as a changeup but holt is where its at. The biggest thing is that the basketball TEAMS are in the big sky tourney. Congrats to both teams. Playing well when it is the most important. Good luck the rest of the way! Go Bengals!

I agree with Jahim totally on this one. Reed is an okay change-up...but the problems associated with trying to play ALL men's game there would be enormous. We've been through it all before...and the truth is, people just quit coming because it was Reed Gym. We don't "need" to play in Reed to play good basketball. The year the women won 21 (2001) straight they played all their home games in Holt. When they hosted the Big Sky Tournament, over 5000 showed up for the championship game, something that could NOT have happened had the game been in Reed.

Latest posts

Back