• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Sacramento State

Let's do this, League play stats Saturday and the Bengals have more than enough to compete and win.

Go Bengals!

...IF we can figure out a way to win saturday......and i agree 4ISUfans....we have enough to compete AND WIN......if we can win saturday...we WILL win 5 or more this year...you heard it here first folks.... :thumb:

clawsout - here is a quote from a Sacramento State fan regarding your posting. Notice how he uses the word "Bungles" instead of Bengals.

Our Bengals offense will need to show up Saturday and score at least 35 points to win this game in my opinion. Scoring 35 points is duable in a no huddle passing attack. Our defense and our special teams cannot allow the big plays otherwise look for the Hornets walking out of Holt Arena with a win.

by clawsout » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:09 pm

IF we can figure out a way to win saturday......and i agree 4ISUfans....we have enough to compete AND WIN......if we can win saturday...we WILL win 5 or more this year...you heard it here first folks....

RE: Week 5: Sac State @ Idaho State
by Super Hornet » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm

At least one ISU fan is delusional enough to think that if the Bungles can find a way to beat us, they will make it to five or more wins this year. I'm not sure where he's counting those, but there it is

...yes "up"....i actually went over to their board and saw that...haha...even the "Bungles" wording....BUT my thinking is we steal this one with a great offensive showing and wearing down of Sac's D at our altitude....with a solid crowd making noise...then we win the next three after this one and "smoke" weber to end the year...that's a 6 and 5 record....THEN i go to their board and have fun being "delusional".... :coffee:

For the record SuperHornet (aka SH) lives in his own delusional world. SH has no concept of reality. Every rational Hornet fan barely makes up 1/10th of the absurd craziness that comes out of him. This serves notice that you have been warned.
:rule:

SD Hornet - We appreciate you sending us the "SAC BUZZ". Both teams are showing good numbers on offense. We are looking forward to playing the Hornets on Saturday during our homecoming weekend. May the best team win...good luck...

Our QB Safron has struggled the last 2 weeks and has (imo) regressed since his great showing at Colorado. If we continue to get inconsistent play at the QB position, we will be in for a long season.

Chase has this week's presser with Coach Kramer. If nothing else, he stays pretty positive, yet realistic, about Nebraska and Sacramento State. It's still a change for the better compared to the last coaching staff, which would have been defensive and curt in the same situation.

http://pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/chase/?p=178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is what Sacramento State is saying in their "SAC BUZZ".

Week 5: Sac State @ Idaho State
by SDHornet » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Week 5: Sac State at Idaho State

The Hornets (2-2) hit the road to face Idaho State (1-2) in Pocatello, ID. The Bengals are in their second year of rebuild mode under Head Coach Kramer and are coming into this game off of a huge loss in a payday game against Nebraska. This will be the first BSC game for ISU and ISU should be improved from last year as they returned a lot of skilled players. The Hornets will be looking to turn the page from their disappointing showing a week ago and get headed back into the right direction for the second half of the season.

Offense
The Bengals run a pass happy offense which spreads the field with multiple receiver sets. They mostly run an up-tempo no huddle style and come into this game with a highly ranked passing offense. In the past the Bengals have struggled to find quality lineman up front. It’s hard to tell if this has been addressed as the Bengals have played 2 FBS games and a D2 opponent, but they are starting two freshmen at left tackle and center and have allowed 9 sacks so far. Their linemen are not huge but have respectable size. The Bengals don’t run the ball very much so this offense is pretty one dimensional.

Quarterback (#15) Kevin Yost is more than capable at running this offense and he has the ability to move the ball through the air. Yost’s spreads the ball around to his receivers very well. There is a fine balance of receptions and yards to the top three receivers led by (#7) Derek Graves and (#5) Cameron Richmond. In the past, Yost’s main target has been stud receiver (#13) Rodrick Rumble but it looks the two have not been able to connect on plays very much so far.

Season Stats/Averages:

• Rushing Offense: 75.3 ypg (2.6 ypr), 4 TD’s (111th FCS, 12th BSC)
• Passing Offense: 355.3 ypg (9.5 ypc), 5 TD’s (5th FCS, 1st BSC)
• Total Offense: 430.6 ypg (5.1 ypp), 9 TD’s, 1 FG (24th FCS, 6th BSC)
• Time of Possession: 37:12
• Turnovers: 6 (2 Fum, 4 INT)
• Penalties: 19 for 195 yds (65.0 ypg) (7th most BSC)
• QB: (#15) Kevin Yost: 97 of 143 for 926 yds, 4 TD’s, 3 INT’s
• WR: (#7) Derek Graves: 33 recs for 281 yds, 1 TD
• WR: (#5) Cameron Richmond: 23 recs for 241 yds, 1 TD
• WR: (#82) Luke Austin: 17 recs for 277 yds, 1 TD
• TE: (#88) Josh Hill: 13 recs for 119 yds, 2 TD’s
• RB: (#3) Xavier Finney: 43 carries for 117 yds, 3 TD’s, 7 recs for 52 yds
The Hornet defense will need to get pressure on Yost to disrupt the Bengal passing attack. The Hornet defensive line did an excellent job last week of getting pressure and they will need to follow up with another good game this week. The coaches rotate in a lot of lineman but that may be an issue with the up-tempo style that ISU runs. The defense will be limited on its substitutions if ISU can get in rhythm and get the ball moving.

The Hornet secondary will have their hands full. There is going to be a lot of running around chasing receivers so they will have to bring their “A” game. This game will truly test how far this secondary has progressed. At linebacker I am not sure how the coaches want to play this. (#91) Todd Davis will be a liability defending the pass and will be a liability in open space. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a lot of (#48) Henry Fernandez and (#42) Cody Allen this week to better defend the pass.

Defense
The participation report indicates that ISU runs a 3-4 defense but I am not entirely sure. Much like UND, the ISU rush defense is horrible but statistically they have a great pass defense. Given the opponents they have played so far (run heavy Air Force and lopsided loss at Nebraska), their pass defense stats are most likely due to the play calling their opponents had and not necessarily because of their ability to shut down the pass. Nonetheless we will see how their defense plays against the Hornets. It’s hard to gauge how this Bengal defense will do against an FCS opponent so there are quite a few unknowns about this defense heading into this game.

Season Stats/Averages:

• Rushing Defense: 323.3 ypg (7.2 ypr), 12 TD’s (120th FCS, 13th BSC)
• Passing Defense: 142.3 ypg (11.9 ypc), 3 TD’s (12th FCS, 1st BSC)
• Total Defense: 465.7 ypg (6.8 ypp), 15 TD’s, 2 FG’s (103rd FCS, 11th BSC)
• Opponent Time of Possession: 27:48
• Turnovers Forced: 4 (3 Fum, 1 INT)
• Opponents Penalties: 23 for 216 yds (72.0 ypg)
• LB: (#46) Mitch Beckstead: 24 tackles, 0.5 TFL’s
• SS: (#25) Tanner Davis: 21 tackles, 1 BU, 1 PD
• LB: (#11) Demetrius Allen: 19 tackles, 2.5 TFL’s, 0.5 sacks
• CB: (#1) Anthony Boyles: 16 tackles, 1 FF
• CB: (#2) Donovan Henley: 16 tackles, 1 INT, 3 BU, 4 PD
• FS: (#28) Cameron Gupton: 15 tackles, 1.5 TFL’s, 1 BU, 1 PD
• NT: (#99) Austin Graves: 14 tackles, 3 TFL’s, 0.5 sacks
Much like last week, the Hornets should be able to move the ball against the Bengal defense. If the Hornet offensive line can come out strong like last week, the Hornets should have plenty of success running the ball. For everyone’s sake let’s hope the coaches keep running the ball until ISU can stop it before going to the pass. Hopefully Safron can snap out of his funk and get the passing game back in order; this team cannot afford another mistake filled game from him.

Special Teams
There is no telling how ISU will perform on special teams. It looks like they have a couple of different players capable of getting decent returns and the kickoff coverage looks solid as well. It does not appear that the Bengal kicker, (#37) Brendon Garcia has been tested. He has a couple of misses so far so their kicking game might be suspect.

Season Stats/Averages:

• K: (#37) Brendon Garcia: 1/3 FG’s (long of 19 yds), 9/9 PAT’s
• P: (#17) CJ Reyes: 16 punts for 636 yds (39.8 ypp), 5 I-20
• KR: (#2) Donovan Henley: 3 kr’s for 61 yds (20.3 ypr)
• KR: (#24) Phil Pleasant: 3 kr’s for 64 yds (22.3 ypr)
• PR: (#27) Jon Davidson: 5 pr’s for 14 yds (2.8 ypr)
• Kick Coverage: Allowed 230 yds on 10 returns (23.0 ypr), 3 TB’s
• Punt Coverage: Allowed 114 yds on 5 returns (22.8 ypr), 1 TD allowed
The Bengals have given up a punt return for a touchdown so this might open the door for Carter to get a couple cracks at a return this week.

Intangibles
I have no idea if the Bengals took any serious injuries in any games thus far, but they are coming into this one off of a pounding at the hands of Nebraska so they could be a little beaten up. This game will be indoors so weather won’t be an issue. I also believe Holt Arena got new turf last year so playing on carpet covered concrete is no longer an issue.

This game is a must win for the Hornets. ISU is still rebuilding so they are probably missing some pieces but they still have a good passing attack. If the Hornets play a mistake free game it should be enough to win this game. The Hornets need to take care of business on the road and rebound from a bad game last week. The Hornets cannot afford to look past this Bengal program.

Go Hornets!

Game Info

• Kickoff: Saturday, September 29th @ 12:30 PM Pacific time @ Holt Arena Pocatello, ID.
• TV: None
• Video/Internet: Big Sky TV
• Audio/Radio: 93.1 FM, audio link available on Hornetsports.com
o http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/csus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
.portal#

Up for the challenge, Thanks for the article. I see nothing wrong with it, pretty well states the teams abilities and disablities. I look for a very close game and the Bengals just getting by for the win. :thumb:

I have a bad feeling watching this game that we are in for a very long season. Our defense could not stop them. We already know what happens with the one dimensional offense - teams shut us down when the game is on the line. All they have to do is pass blitz and we are toast. I can't understand how we can expect to succeed with a one dimensional offense.
The big failure point though is our defense if they do not improve dramatically we are likely going to loose every remaining game this year. Our offense will put 30 pts on the board and we will still loose by three scores.

Crazy game early on and we limped into the half and at that point it was still anyone’s game. We made the better adjustments at half time, specifically dialing up the blitzes that for whatever reason ISU was never able to pick up or change the blocking schemes to block it. Clearly we still have plenty of things to clean up to even be considered a contender.

Best of luck the rest of the way. I’ll be cheering hard for you guys in week 7.

I really thought we'd be extremely competetive in the second half as we headed into halftime down by 4. Wasn't sure we'd win but figured a close final score in the 45-42 range. What a major disappointment the second half was. Sac State made adjustments and stuck it to ISU as we couldn't do anything very well and definitely couldn't make any necessary adjustments ourselves.
As far as the defense goes, we CAN NOT tackle. :thumbdown: I agree with what Bengal said about the one dimensional offense as well.
The really sad thing is that this game was a prime example of what has become the norm for this program. :twocents:

On a bright note, kudos to Josh Hill. :thumb: Good to see his number called many times and he responded with a good game.

Good luck to Kramer and company on turning this around before it becomes "Groundhog Day" 2012.

This team still has some rebuilding to do, and honestly, I predict we'll win just three games this year. Just as long as Kramer refuses to recruit junior college players for immediate help, then it's going to take some time for these younger players to mature, plus we could use a little more talent in some areas. We should win at Northern Colorado, which would be our first road victory in over 35 games. And we should win at home against either Cal-Davis or Weber (WSU has yet to win a game). I definitely don't see us beating teams like Montana, Cal Poly, and NAU. It would be nice to beat PSU next week in Portland, but we don't win there very often.

IFBengalfan98 said:
Improvement from last season. Still probably two recruiting classes away from getting over the .500 mark.

Right, and in another 20 years we may make the post season.

Latest posts

Back