• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Sad day for Hofstra.

This is what scared me,
"It was weird because it kind of happened out of nowhere," he said.

Rabinowitz noted the scant interest on campus in the team. He said students were offered free tickets to games, but an average of only 500 attended games at the 13,000-seat campus stadium, and that included cheerleaders and a pep band. Hofstra has a student body of 12,500, but only 4,200 live on campus. The average attendance this season -- students and nonstudents -- was 4,260.

That sounds a lot like the bottom half of the Big Sky!

isusuperfan said:
Eerily similar to ISU's situation, sans the overall winning record

That's why ISU and Poky need to wake up and get excited to have a football team and start showing some support. I was out there a couple months ago and noticed all the local stores selling BSU gear -- and nothing with ISU (I was looking for some souvenir gear). That is a death wish.

I agree paws...The local merchants do not support ISU at all (or most do not) It pisses me off to walk into WalMart and Penneys and see Boise State crap and nothing to do with ISU...Pathetic...I try not to support either of them but it is hard to not shop there. I wish someone with some authority at ISU could contact some of these stores and ask them to support their LOCAL university! We, fans, need to come out and do the best job we can to support the program. That game against Montana was so much fun...WE ALL NEED TO DO OUR PART TO MAKE THINGS BETTER NEXT YEAR....Promoting the athletes...tailgating...Orange and Black Day all over Poky on Saturdays,whatever!!!!

Speak up! Tell the store managers how you feel. I know i shared this story before (a bit embarrassing) but years ago when i went to Wal-mart and saw Montana stuff i was pissed and bought 2 hats and cut them up and put them on the managers desk right then and there. A bit off the wall I know- not the smartest thing because now it shows someone bought 2 Montana hats and they probably ordered more BUT it felt good to do!

Last weekend i tried to defend the ISU football program again with some family members. They live in this community too. They had their fighting gloves on saying give that football budget money to something worthwhile. They brought up BSU and how they know how to win and how the community in Boise will not except losing. They also brougt up the pont of keeping a coach for another 2 years after his 3 year loss record. I absolutely had nothing to come back with except we need to support them because it is our town and community. Oh, how i want to change the mentality of this communities views BUT first the University must do their part.

Again, winning will heal. Winning will bring the crowd out. Winning is a cure all!

Roar...that is a funny story..love it...I don't see Montana stuff in there anymore, we all need to do that with the Boise State stuff. It is hard to keep the faith but we just have to...I Pray the W's will come next year!

So you cannot find an ISU shirt or hat at a box store? Is that the only evidence that proves local merchants do not support ISU? Is a box store even a local merchant? I would think that a local merchant would be a business like New Day Products. I bet you can find your ISU apparel there. If you cannot, I would wager even more that they can make it for you.

snake said:
So you cannot find an ISU shirt or hat at a box store? Is that the only evidence that proves local merchants do not support ISU? Is a box store even a local merchant? I would think that a local merchant would be a business like New Day Products. I bet you can find your ISU apparel there. If you cannot, I would wager even more that they can make it for you.

Not limited to national box stores at all. All throughout the big mall, nowhere to be seen. Even the sports store in there that sold all sorts of jerseys and stuff had nothing. The ONLY evidence I saw in town of the existence of ISU football was one old poster at the Ramada Inn and a kid in an oange t-shirt at the greasy spoon across the street from it. That was it. Come on Poky -- you can do better!!

It's really sad to see Hofstra drop their FB program, and I certainly hope that this won't a trend for many other 1-AA schools to follow. It's very, very expensive to fund collegiate football when you have to provide 63 scholarships at this level, plus the fact that with the Title IX gender-equity issues, you always have to provide women so many scholarships to compete in various sports. Skippy had some valid points to say in his blog in the ISU website about Hofstra and Northeastern dropping football, and the fact that we all need to be observing what's going around us, rather than sticking our heads in the sand. Also, one time he told me that ISU has a much greater chance of dropping football than Idaho would of ever going back to 1-AA. And a few times on this board Pocatato said that he'd be glad if we could field a team for a few more years or so.

Sure, we've got some struggles ahead, but when you consider that we have a very pro-athletics president of the university, this will make things a lot easier than when Bowen was running things. Also, one thing you need to look at is the fact that ISU's budget for football is about $1.9 million, whereas Hofstra annual budget was about $4.5 million per year. And mainly the reason why that is is because ISU's in-state students pay about $2300 per semester for tuition, whereas out of students pay about $7200 per semester. Whereas Hofstra's tuition is over $15,000 per semester. And boy, this really adds up when you consider all of the sports that they offer. Sure $1.9 million for football is a lot of money, but which would be easier to try to fund -- $1.9 million or $4.5 million?

Our football team has really got some challenges ahead to get this thing turned around. And right now I'm not sure if Zamberlin is the guy that can get this program off the ground. I really hope he is, and for now he's got my full support since he's the guy in charge. But once we start winning at least six, seven or eight games every year, then the fans will start coming out and we'll start having crowds of at least 8,000 or so for the games. The fans will start coming, but we need to start winning first. Also, now that the economy is just starting to turn around, if it continues to improve, then I think that in the future the state could increase their funding for intercollegiate athletics, and this would make things easier for all the schools. Plus now that we're getting some decent facilities here, then this will make things easier to get some better talent here so that we can field some competitive teams.

tuition at hofstra is listed at $14,540 per term (i guess that means some $29,000 per year) - isu needs to raise the costs or think about giving up football

I guess that full-time tuition is over $14,500, but New College tuition, the School for University Studies first term, and the School for University Studies, second term, whatever they are -- are all over $15,000.

http://www.hofstra.edu/StudentAffairs/StudentServices/RegBil/regbil_tuition.html

What's really funny is I have the two Montana hats that Roar cut up...I was behind him in the line when he did it so I can validate his entire story...they make every trip with me to Washington-Grizzly ...

ISUSID

isusid, i never knew you were there? The people in front of me were from Montana and they noticed the hats and got all excited but then got deflated and probably thought i was a nut job when i starting cutting the hats up. I guess you never know who is watching you. I hope you were proud isusid! Funny stuff

let's get real here. a business is NOT going to carry a losing product in its inventory. We ALL know if we were winning consistantly we would see a bit more ISU stuff in all stores. the FANZZ store you refer to in the mall is a Larry Miller (utah jazz) owned company. he could care less about 1-AA in pocatello, just keep buying all that Jazz stuff, and your BCS school apparel. Yes i know he is dead, but his companies live on. Stop worrying about what stores are or are not carrying ISU stuff.....START worrying about whether or not we see more or less than 1 win next year!

Here's my BIGGEST PROBLEM!!!!! aside from VERY FEW alumni, why are we not seeing more ex-ISU athletes/grads support the program????????? Because right now, they don't want to be associated with this losing tradition we are continueing. Did Jared Allen say Idaho State when he introduced himself Sunday night?? NO!!! he said Culinary Academy. A joke, of course, but VERY REAL undertones. IMHO!!!!! you can say he supports the program and he has proven it with $$, but not all Alumni are the richest defensive linemen in the NFL, some are just hard workers and MOST are not throwing a dime at the program right now!! once again, IMHO!!!

Face it....we can remain fans, and we should.....but i think we will be supporting MANY more years of FAILURE!!! oh well, nothing else to do in Pocatello on a Saturday, right?

Latest posts

Back