• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Satellite Campus

Pounder

On a basketball thread (of all places), I made the argument that the Big West Conference really is NOT a fit for Portland State. Reason: those are NOT city schools. Those are smaller city schools (Davis, SLO, Santa Barbara) and SUBURBAN schools (Fullerton, Irvine, Long Beach, Riverside, and more-or-less Northridge) and the outlier (Hawaii). I stand by that. Yet I suspect there's a workaround.

Meanwhile, what are Portland State's challenges? Heck, why else did Portland State make that "most innovative" list than the various ways in which the school is trying to attract undergraduates... four years free, four-year guarantee (the latter of which figured prominently during my daughter's visitation), et cetera. It's a campus of 29,000, now 60% full time (used to be lower). They're still trying to-and need to- improve on that. Meanwhile, land values are still going up... Portland State can only build up so much, there's only so many blocks to cannibalize. There's a point where only so many students will be able to live near the campus (used to be plenty of students out around lower Goose Hollow 10 years ago... rents shot up, students moved away). The rent is the bigger problem. Eventually this will affect the school.

Now consider the real estate bubble burst of 9-10 years ago. That nailed suburbs in the gut... but those aren't truly going anywhere. How do you deal with that?

Imagine a satellite campus along MAX linking to the campus downtown.

Imagine being able to house students and athletic facilities there. Imagine being able to give the renowned Urban Studies program an expansion of focus. Imagine collaborating with a second-layer suburb to borrow fairgrounds land (and perhaps help with the events center they've always wanted), or repurposing a suburban downtown currently betrothed to a comic book "empire" of sorts, or repurposing a dying mall area, or finding an opening on an upcoming MAX line, or giving life to a MAX station project that stalled... or even taking on the hallowed ground where the university was originally born. Let new students live without breaking their banks, create a campus atmosphere of sorts, and learn how this interacts with the surroundings.

I have to cut this short... but I posted something somewhere else some months ago where I got the original inspiration: San Diego State's effort to take over the old San Diego/Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium area for a second campus. There's an ongoing story as the effort was sidetracked by a Major League Soccer proposal, though it should be noted that THAT effort has been a bit sidetracked by San Diego's city council. Just saying that I'll be bringing that up again; it's something to watch.

Pounder said:
I have to cut this short... but I posted something somewhere else some months ago where I got the original inspiration: San Diego State's effort to take over the old San Diego/Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium area for a second campus. There's an ongoing story as the effort was sidetracked by a Major League Soccer proposal, though it should be noted that THAT effort has been a bit sidetracked by San Diego's city council. Just saying that I'll be bringing that up again; it's something to watch.

Word on campus is that the secondary campus plan is a real long shot. I like the plan. The transit to the main campus is of good capacity and a short ride. I do fear for SDSU football finding themselves in a tough spot without a viable place to play if that property privately developed. If there's no MLS joint stadium, they'd have to look to something like Petco Park. There's not really anywhere on campus for a new stadium, as Viejas Arena was built right where the Aztec Bowl (original football venue) is until they moved their football games to Qualcomm (or as I like to call it, "The Murph") in the late 60's.

What is the effect of Eminent Domain within the University District? How does that affect the value of properties PSU decides to take over to develop? Is full market value in effect or is there a discounted or maximal value due to the property being within U-District zoning?

b8e3e351297057.5608ae4e7ad71.png

Pounder said: "Imagine a satellite campus along MAX linking to the campus downtown. "

It is certainly not a bad idea and might well be a practical solution to our somewhat limiting urban core footprint. However, given Oregon politics in general and Oregon higher-education politics in particular I can't imagine state budget appropriations for a PSU2 campus.

martymoose said:
Word on campus is that the secondary campus plan is a real long shot. I like the plan. The transit to the main campus is of good capacity and a short ride. I do fear for SDSU football finding themselves in a tough spot without a viable place to play if that property privately developed. If there's no MLS joint stadium, they'd have to look to something like Petco Park. There's not really anywhere on campus for a new stadium, as Viejas Arena was built right where the Aztec Bowl (original football venue) is until they moved their football games to Qualcomm (or as I like to call it, "The Murph") in the late 60's.

The MLS proposal involves (or involved?) (1) a share of the stadium with SDSU, and (2) private development of the surrounding land. The school actually got the alumni base together to fight it, not that I'm sure that weighed on the council's decision to place the MLS proposal on the regular election ballot in 2018 (rather than have a decision OR a vote earlier, when MLS is scheduled to select the first 2 of 4 expansion cities). Of note: no public funds were being requested, but the public LAND was definitely part of the request, tax breaks probably included.

Yeah, not sure if SDSU could raise the money to go the other direction.

Latest posts

Back