• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Saturday Practice.

bengalcub

I got out to practice Friday and Saturday and have a few items I'd like to share.

Positives:

1. The offense has upgraded talent immensely. Athletic ability, speed and skill. Really, the the whole nine yards. From a talent perspective--these are the types of newcomers that we have not seen since early in the Larry Lewis era.

2. Josh Hill is a beast. It would not surprise me to see him lead ISU in receptions, nor would it surprise me to see him end up being first team all BSC. He is that good. When he is in the slot, he is going to create a ton of problems for any defense. To fast for a LB and too strong for safety. How the hell ISU was not committed to getting the ball to Hill the past two seasons is a real head scratcher to me.

3. Donovan Henley the JC Corner from Scottsdale CC is a head turner. From what I saw (and what do I know) he is the best cover corner on the team.

4. The defense will not be as predictable and they will pressure from everywhere. I don't see this unit shutting teams down--especially against the run, but I do see a unit that MAY be able to create pressure and cause turnovers. Just get the offense the damn ball back--that might be a good motto for the D.

5. The field. This is an awesome field--soft and safe. Plus, it is absolutely beautiful looking!

6. The QB's are much improved. I see three kids that are skilled. Long time, no see.

Negatives:

1. Shotgun snaps. I am not worried because it is so early--but man, ISU struggled with the long snap on Saturday.

2. Ruhl did not make weight and has to sit until he drops 10 pounds. The offensive line needs him.

3. Outside of Monga at NG the DL looks like a bunch of twigs right now. A unit full of DE's or should I say a unit full of OLB/TE type kids. Seriously, I just don't see tree trunk legs in this group and I worry that teams will be able to run against the Bengals at will.

4. Let me make it perfectly clear, I am pulling for Brendon Garcia. He looked solid Saturday on field goals. However, his kickoff are consistently short--often being fielded at the 15-20 yard line. If this continues to be the case, the opponents will be starting their drives from the 30-40 yard line. This needs to improve.

5. Depth at CB--who will be the 4th corner? You gotta have four corners in the BSC. John Davidson may be the fourth--fall ball will tell the story.

Thanks for sharing your observations Bengal Fan.

I may be wrong but I'd say this team is a total WIP. New coaches, numerous new players, and a new approach to the game on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm looking for 2 things this year:

1.) Effort, and commitment to team, coaches, and ISU program as a whole.
2.) Execution. Do what your taught at the highest level possible.
3.) Team first, no individualism. Points are scored because the linemen are willing to block and not get their names in the paper for their effort.

With one year under their belts I'd expect this team to go to another level next season. Players assimilate and should grow Bigger Stronger and Faster, coaches have the experience with the team, and the game should come to them easier.

Effort and Execution is what we should be able to see NOW and the rest will come.

You checked out the practices eh? I thought they were closed off? :| I could be wrong but that's what I was told.

superfan....i thought that also...but was told by a friend that also went and watched ....that they are open now...UNTIL school starts and then kramer is closing them...i'm going to try and catch a couple this coming week.....Boys....our Bengals ARE going to surprise some people this season!!.....don't want to get too high....BUT i'm just sayin'............

Are they really going to practice in the dome in August without having outside practices? If so, Kramer really is hard nose, the dome is hot this time of year, I would like to see some practices outside just to see what is going on. I promise I won't scout for BSC opponents!

Truth be told, I like the concept of closed practices. Less distractions. No football junkies, no hangers-on, no girlfriends, parents, no weirdoes like myself dropping by once in a blue moon ;)...also cuts down on the potential spy scouting for BSC squads. It's just you, pads, coaches and whistles.

As a word of caution, always be careful when doing write-ups on here.

3173434120_dd7dec10d3.jpg

I was able to see all of the practice on Saturday and this is what I took away from it....

The field is superb! It actually looks like a football field and the dynamics of it really is 3D compared to a put put golf course. It felt like you were right on top of the field. Well done ISU!

The speed stood out like a sore thumb. We do have a lot of good speed including our QB's.

It was a quality practice. No BS! Even after practice most coaches had their units doing drills.

The QB situation really looked good. I mean all 3. Head and shoulders above the last few years qb's.

There was a respect factor for Coach K and company. The players are on his agenda not the other way around. He will make you earn your spot. No favorites.

And from what I learned from talking to someone over the weekend, The CEO has an agenda and he does it his way and he thinks out of the box.

Spudbowl, I think that a few months ago I remember Kramer saying that the current outside turf was in such bad shape that he didn't want to practice on it, it's not completely level and in the past there's been a fair amount of injuries from it. And that he'd much rather have practices on the dome turf. That's got to be our next project is to raise money to replace the outside turf.

It actually felt cooler inside the dome than outside. I am not down on the field sprinting either? We need to practice on what we play on IMO.

Thanks for the info, BoiseBengal. I agree the practice field is horrible. It would not be that tough to at least level it off and get a nice natural turf down -- I always thought that the Bengals worked out there during the past during weeks that they played on natural grass but there are not too many such fields left in the BSC (North Colorado???).

Latest posts

Back