• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

School of Business Administration

forestgreen

Staff member
Portland State to more than double size of business school

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/real-estate-daily/2013/05/portland-state-double-business-school.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Portland State University plans to more than double the physical size of its School of Business Administration thanks largely to an $8 million anonymous gift from an alum.
The project will add 42,000 square feet of new construction and renovations to the school's existing 52,000 square feet.
The university's Graduate School of Education will also vacate space in the School of Business Administration's building, freeing up an additional 53,000 square feet.
The project means business students will no longer be scattered around campus. Roughly 50 percent of business classes meet in space outside of the School of Business Administration building.
The renovations will include the addition of numerous meeting rooms in order to increase collaboration between students and faculty. It will also transform a building that looks like the Chernobyl sarcophagus into an inviting and light-filled space.
"Portland is a vibrant region with world class companies and a high quality of life," said Scott Dawson, dean of the business school. "To achieve that, you've gotta have a great business school. Great business schools attract great students. Most of those students are going to stay here. Those are the people who are going to start companies."
The project will cost $60 million, including $40 million in state funding and $20 million in philanthropic gifts.
The state funding will likely be approved by this year's Legislature.
Portland State still needs to raise an additional $7.2 million in philanthropic gifts. It expects to finish fundraising in August.
The $8 million naming gift comes from an anonymous donor whose name could eventually grace the building.

This is a second-best solution considering the first-best was to build a new structure across from renovated Lincoln Hall to create a portal of significant buildings into the PSU park blocks campus.

If the School of Ed is vacating their half of the building, to where are they vacating? Where will their building be?
MLERN.jpg

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2013/05/8_million_gift_to_portland_sta.html#incart_river" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now the Business School no longer has to share the building with the School of Ed. And, with the addition, the space will be just about tripled. Montgomery Street between Broadway and 6th Avenue will be a nice, wide pedestrian walkway leading to and from the Rec Center area from and to the main campus area. Such a much better situation, such a better building and surrounding. It's a nice looking building too.
12719393-large.jpg

SBADean01_KK.jpg

Congratulations to the Dean, Scott Dawson.

Lou%2BBrown.jpg

Let's not read anything into it. School of Ed is one of the schools that got us here. Besides, they'll probably end up with a brand new building of their own. They're a big and important program at PSU.

Cal Poly names new dean for College of Business

Scott Dawson, dean of the School of Business and Administration at Portland State, has been named dean of Cal Poly’s Orfalea College of Business. He will start Aug. 1.

At Portland State, Dawson oversaw a faculty of 55 instructors and a $17 million annual budget and helped create a Business Advisory Council that offered the university assistance with strategic and philanthropic development.

Dawson, 57, also played a key role in guiding new international programs and industry partnerships.

At Cal Poly’s College of Business, Dawson will manage a faculty of 88, as well as two associate deans and one assistant dean. He will earn an annual salary of $230,004.

Dawson succeeds former dean Dave Christie, who served from 2004 to 2013. Christie left to become provost of Baruch College in New York City. Doug Cerf has served as the interim dean.

In a telephone interview Thursday, Dawson said he’s looking forward to joining a university that’s in a “wonderful transition point with ambitious new leadership almost across the board.”

He said he needs to spend more time on campus and conduct his own research before recommending specific changes. But he does envision spending more time off-campus fundraising and building relationships with alumni and industry partners than the past dean.“

They want a dean that’s going to build bridges to alumni and quite frankly, fund-raise,” Dawson said.

“Here at Portland State, I spend about 50 to 60 percent of my time off campus and, given (President Jeff Armstrong’s) goals and expectations, I think it will be similar at Cal Poly. Most of the alumni live in the Bay Area and Los Angeles. You have to be there to build those ties.

”While at Portland State, Dawson also took on consultant duties at companies such as Costco, InFocus Systems, and advertising agency Wieden and Kennedy.

Dawson earned his bachelor’s degree in mathematics from the University of Oregon in 1978, his MBA in 1981 from the University of Arizona and a doctorate in business in 1984, also from the University of Arizona.

Read more here: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/0...names-new-dean-for-college.html#storylink=cpy

Scott Dawson fit PSU like a glove and served as a very fine dean for the PSU-SBA but, as he said, he put in his time. Now he is rewarded with a tremendous salary to do for CP the very kinds of things he did here.

We can look at this as a loss or as an opportunity situation for continuity in which Scott Dawson set the table for an even greater leader than himself to take the reins. I think he would prefer his legacy be appreciated and augmented. Portland State's B-School is one of the university's major assets and SD succeeded in getting the enlarged facility slated (School of Ed needs a new building as well).

Soon it will be time to install someone to take us up where SD left off, to the next level, a Wim Wiewell or Daniel Bernstine of the business academic ranks, if you will.

Let the hiring process begin (this a process in which Portland State tends very much to shine).

INTERVIEW
Rebooting an Ugly PSU Building with Euro Style
World-renowned German architect Stefan Behnisch talks Portland and why dictators don’t necessarily build better.

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/news-and-profiles/city-and-region/articles/rebooting-an-ugly-psu-building-with-euro-style-december-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://res.cloudinary.com/sagacity/image/upload/c_crop,h_465,w_1000,x_0,y_285/c_fit,w_640/August-2014-Exterior-Rendering-extend_jptid1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When it comes to architecture, Portland usually buys local. But late last year Portland State University hired Germany’s Stefan Behnisch to design its new School of Business Administration. His brief: expand the school’s current digs—a dreary, brutalist-lite 1970s fort—into a fitting home for the largest business school in the state, next to the region’s busiest transit hub. (Construction begins next July.) A pioneer in the quest for more sustainable buildings, the 57-year-old Munich native is known for his mix of technology, humanism, and pragmatism, in buildings ranging from the Institute for Forestry and Nature Research in the Netherlands to a colorful parking garage in Santa Monica. We spoke with him on a recent visit.

What’s your impression of Portland?
I like the city, but whenever I am here I always hear, “Oh, we don’t need outsiders.” I disagree. In Bavaria, a lot of our buildings are built by international architects. It puts us in a different league.

Is it easier to build good buildings in Europe?
In the US, the people who do the actual work are so far removed from the architect: construction manager, general contractor, subcontractor after subcontractor. In Germany, we, the architects, work on site as the construction managers. Here, I can’t even tell the poor guy working inside that a wall shouldn’t be yellow, it should be red. On a complex building like the one at PSU, we would manage more than 100 contracts. That gives us a direct influence.

You’re working with an ugly building...
An interesting one, yeah? It’s a character. Very dull and confusing. But I like tasks with a certain framework. The context makes it interesting for us. There’s also a pattern of open space, park space, block space, the street—the public realm. That’s interesting.

One historian said Portland always wants first-class passage on a steerage ticket. Will you have enough money for a great building?
You can always use more, but some of my best buildings were very cheap. A great budget is no guarantee for a good building, and a low budget is no guarantee for a bad building. Our architecture is more about color and space than about material. Color and space are usually not very expensive. It would be helpful to have 10 percent more. But generally quality and money are not directly connected.

Do any recent buildings make you jealous?
I can be jealous of great ideas: why didn’t I think of that? What doesn’t make me jealous is that a lot of groundbreaking new buildings have been built in less than democratic situations. Some architects say, “Democracy is not the right environment to do great architecture. You need a Putin, you need a Chinese totalitarian government, to pull it off. Once it goes through the public decision-making channels, it is watered down to nothing.” It’s a seemingly logical argument, but actually it’s nonsense. Our societies achieved democracy and freedom. Part of that bill is that people don’t have to accept whatever someone tells them. That goes for art and architecture. Architects still dream of being the fascist’s only child. We in Germany are a bit wary of that.

U.S. News names Portland State in top 50 online MBAs

http://blog.oregonlive.com/higher-education/2015/01/us_news_names_portland_state_i.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Portland State embarks on new $63M School of Business Administration

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/real-estate-daily/2015/10/portland-state-embarks-on-new-62m-school-of.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is, for the moment, a hole in the ground

http://www.portlandstate-foundation.org/it-moment-hole-ground" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oct. 15, 2015 -- It is, for the moment, a hole in the ground.

But Portland State University President Wim Wiewel promised a gathering of donors, faculty and students on Thursday that the renovation and expansion of PSU’s School of Business Administration will have an impact that resonates far beyond the borders of campus.

“This will be a game-changer for PSU, Portland and Oregon,” Wiewel said at a groundbreaking ceremony next to the construction site at Southwest Sixth Avenue and Harrison Street.

Rick Miller and his wife Erika contributed $9 million to the project. He announced to a crowd of more than 100 that the building would be called The Karl Miller Center, named after his late grandfather, who was a World War II veteran, Portland firefighter and entrepreneur.

“He was my hero and my mentor,” Rick Miller said.

Funding for the project, which will cost more than the $60 million, includes more than $20 million in donor contributions to the PSU Foundation’s “Grow With Us” fundraising campaign, as well as $40 million in state bonds.

By the time it’s completed in 2017, the building will have expanded from 52,000 square feet to nearly 143,000 square feet, with additional space for collaborations between students and group discussions.

“It’s very important that we have comfortable spaces to work in because we work in teams,” said Anthony Robotham, a senior studying marketing and advertising.

The facility will also be a hub for business leaders who visit campus, as well recruiters looking to hire PSU graduates.

Donors and university officials said Thursday that the architectural beauty of the new building, with its light and open interior design and a five-story glass atrium, is a fitting home for the business school’s accomplished faculty and students.

“What excites me the most,” said donor Phil Bogue, “is that we have an incredible faculty and now they have a place to do business, a place where they can really get the job done.”

Photos: PSU business school project in full swing

Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2015/12/02/photos-psu-business-school-project-in-full-swing/#ixzz3tEmfVwaP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back